PDA

View Full Version : i should know this by now...

fingolfin
10-24-2002, 09:12 PM
If anyone doesn't mind, please go through step-by-step and tell me how to make a sign.:confuse2:

ShadowTiger
10-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Ah yes. A sign. place a sign tile (a regular block tile that looks like sign...) right... here.

XSX
XPX
X X

The S is the sign, X is an obstacle, and P is a pit or stairs tile. Pit is preferable. When he/she walks over the pit tile, Link appears to be reading the sign. When this happens, Link should be warped to an identical scene, except there is a massive wooden plank in the middle of the screen where the text appears. I guess you could have it as a layer. :shrug:

This is when there is a guy under the layer that says the string which is what the sign says. Then when Link steps away from the sign, he will step on a pit tile (Which you will place yourself right under Link (The tile to the south.) ) and warp back to the original screen. SImple, yet highly effective. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

blckscab
10-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Hmmm.
I never thought of putting a plank on the screen for the writing to go on. Thanks for the idea:D

StarFox
10-25-2002, 08:33 PM
BTW, it's best not to have any slashable combos or enemies on the screen, unless you want them to be magic "Disappear When Link Reads A Sign" enemies and magic "Reappear When Link Reads A Sign" bushes. Also, it's best not to put signs on the top of the screen, as the message barrier will freeze Link. You can put them on the top of the screen, but you then have to make it a tilewarp to the bottom of the duplicate screen where Link is invisible or under a layer, and you have to have a Link tile that's reading the sign. More trouble than it's worth.

fingolfin
10-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Uh huh... Thanks.

ShadowTiger
10-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Of Course. Make sure that there are no enemies on the screen, or secrets. It should be a relatively blank screen. Perhaps, if you do manage to get enemies there, Link should be under a layer which is composed of a picture of himself that the enemies can't hit, but it looks like the enemies can hit Link , but won't b/c they can't touch him. Complicated, but graphically pleasing. ;)

StarFox
10-29-2002, 12:10 PM
The problem with having enemies isn't that they can hit Link. The only way you could get enemies to work with a sign is if you used a full-screen warp, since just putting the enemies on the screen would make them disappear and reappear when you read the sign. A full screen-warp won't work either, since it would ignore the enemies found on the sign-reading screen. Since guys count as enemies, the words on the sign wouldn't appear (unless they're tiles and not words a guy says). So I don't put enemies on screens with signs, as this makes the game just a bit more bug-free.

Tom
10-29-2002, 02:06 PM
Maybe you could have a screen which is like a title screen except it has text and you could draw a sign on it and say press down to leave. That would make quests alot more interesting don't you think.

ShadowTiger
10-30-2002, 11:24 AM
That works well too... :sweat:

Leave it to Tom to save the day... :rolleyes: (BTW, that was a compliment. )