PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Richard Stallman?

inori
10-23-2002, 03:12 AM
He's the founder of the GNU project. He also gave a talk at Berkeley today about free software. While I don't agree with everything he said, I do think he had a lot of interesting points. He's also a pretty good speaker (read: I stayed awake through his entire talk, which is a rarity).

Thought some people (Alex-kun) might find that interesting...

vegeta1215
10-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Yeah, if someone puts his speech online, please send a url to it!

Verman
10-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Who cares...

I would rather talk to Bill Gates...He is a marketing genius...even if he did copy everything he ever coded...

I don't like open-source. Well thats not true i guess. I like open-source Operating systems because you can do anything. I wouldnt want my code open-sourced..

How do u make money on that? Plus my code is my art. I dont want someone changing it anymore then I would want someone changing a painting or song i made.

Dark_Xero
10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Hmmmm, I like the idea of free software! but no, never heard of him before. Heh, all software should be free nowadays. Why buy it, when you can get it for free on the internet :shrug:

cap2030
10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
he doesnt mean free in monetary terms.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

stormwatcheagle
10-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh, well the screw him! I want free software! This was a very misleading and cruel thread, Inori.

vegeta1215
10-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Once you go free, you never go back ;)

teddyboy420
10-23-2002, 07:27 PM
I wrote a report on open-source last semester. I like the fact that I can improve upon, and customize the code of programs I use. It's kinda of like a template, to make better.

inori
10-24-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
Oh, well the screw him! I want free software! This was a very misleading and cruel thread, Inori.

No, "misleading and cruel" would have been me titling the thread "Free Hentai Pics!". :kawaii:

And vegeta, I'll see if I can find a link to the talk anywhere. It was being video-recorded, so it's possible...

EDIT: No sign of a webcast or transcript anywhere (yet), but I did find an abstract for those interested:
https://buffy.eecs.berkeley.edu/PHP/seminar/seminar.php?f_submit=ShowOne&div=cs&semid=284

Ich
10-24-2002, 11:56 AM
Free Hentai Pics??? Where???

I like open source code, it gives freedom to programmers.

theplustwo
10-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Richard Stallman? That would have been really interesting, I wish I had been there, Linus would have been beter though :P It would also be cool to hear what Eric Raymond has to say... there, I mentioned all three in one post :sweat:

Menokh
10-25-2002, 02:43 PM
I would have loved to have been there.

While I think he is abit extreme in his views and how he words them, I would have to agree with alot of his views(perhaps 2/3). I don't find him too extreme, afterall if he wasn't extreme someone else would be.

For me, I prefer open source, not because I understand the code, I can't program much so I don't look at the code, but for moral and security reasons. If I ever wrote a program, I would most likely GPL it.

btw- Verman; how do you make money on Open Source? Ask someone who works for SuSE or Mandrake or Transgaming. The GPL just requires the source to be freely available, not the binary, most people will not know how to compile thier own code, so you could charge for a binary(like Transgaming does with WineX).