PDA

View Full Version : I almost got fired..

J.J. Maxx
10-21-2002, 10:45 AM
I brought in a newspaper article from the Denver Post about our company's ongoing merger and got in some serious trouble. It wasn't a bad article but I think it was leaning towards the negative as far as the possibility of the merger going through.

I had to talk to like 5 people and almost got written up for violating the company's 'anti-solicitation' policy. Because I was "actively distributing printed material". Well I only had one copy and it was mine and I a few of the guys I work with wanted to read it.

I think I was railroaded. I don't see any reason I can't bring in a public document and let people read it. The kicker is that 4 out of the 5 offices in our building have some sort of comic like Dilbert taped to their front office windows and on the doors. Even the Human Resources manager. WTF? But arguing with management is like running in the Special Olympics...

So yeah the only employee taking an interest in the comany he works for and he gets it right up the arse. It makes me so mad that they would be so hypocritical. But they could fire me so I have to just bend over and take it like a man. I hate corporate america...

deathbyhokie
10-21-2002, 10:51 AM
ouch. that sux jj. my old job would do similiar stuff, but i didn't have a family to support or nething, so it didn't matter as much. for the most part they were angry that the under 20 americans(we didhave internationals)were avoiding rukes very cleverly, and actually getting work done better, and enjoying it. so they enforced every rule to the letter. my friend got fired(and then rehiired when higher managment siad they couldn't fire him fo r that), and i almost got fired. because we were the ringleaders of this "evil plan" that they envisioned up. who knows

obi
10-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Life is just messed up at times. Unfortunatly it's the guy/gal who tries the hardest that gets the major impact.

:shrug:

Brasel
10-21-2002, 12:23 PM
I know how that is...you work your ass off, and you see the other guys who are constantly making trouble get off easy every time, but when you mess up, you get the corperate shaft. I know all too well...

Verman
10-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Bah..Jobs suck

I hate mine...Its so boring.

Computers suck shit....In fact If any of you guys are thinking of a job in computers dont :P Cause if you have a job doing computers you will start to hate them after a bit...

Unless of course you dont get bored easily.

Cyclone
10-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Mmm, Dilbert...:drool:

Ahem. Sorry. :shy:

That is rather silly. Just for bringing in a newspaper article, you get written up? If you were to read the article out of the actual newspaper in the staff room, would you get written up simply for discussing it?

Cyclone

AlexMax
10-21-2002, 02:53 PM
You got hosed, JJ, you got hosed.

theplustwo
10-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, what a fitting reference to Davy and Goliath :P

Gerudo
10-21-2002, 07:38 PM
i wouldnt care if it involved being fired or not, and it could just so be called discrimination... someone pisses me off at the workplace, they're gonna know it...

mikeron
10-21-2002, 09:57 PM
I can cope; I attend a public university. I also love how my bank is gracious enough to occassionally shove a broken beer bottle up my ass and charge me $5 to do it. :blah:

Rijuhn
10-21-2002, 10:50 PM
This is exactly why I don't want a common job. I want to be free from a boss, or at least from one that is so secretive or too busy to sit down to talk and solve problems out with. I really want to be a bad ass like my dad, but it just isn't in me (unless someone really pisses me off and then I don't care who I hit.) I've always been the nice guy, but when people don't listen to you, especially when you know you are right, it can drive you mad. That's why I quit Walmart. I wanted to kick the store manager in his gut, but nowadays everyone has to sue you because of some gay as law.

FUCK THE LAW!! It wouldn't be enforced so much if people were honest. It seems that all of the honest people try to stay away from the legal shit of things because they know what can happen. I just want to be able to work freely and actually do something for this world. I'm still undecided on what my career will be. I'm really thinking of getting into computer graphics as a career and learning other aspects of everything I can and see the potention in those fields.

Jemsee
10-22-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry to here you have trouble at work JJ.
But do what you gotta do.
The management there must be a little on edge about what was in the paper. Maybe it's not a personal thing with you, just they may be sensitive to the issue of a merger.

When I lived in Norfolk VA. I had a job for a maintaince firm.
They contracted out to large buildings and sent in maintaince crews.
Well I was working up the ladder and getting some of the bosses attention when all a sudden I was accused of stealing from a client. I had no clue. I had to take polygraph and answer questions from management, it sucked.
Was not scared 'cus I never stole anything.
About a week later was told I had 2 weeks, then next day I was told to leave and they just game me 2 weeks pay, WTF??
So I went out to look for another job and found one easily enough in a machine shop.
A short time after I get this call from a fellow employee of that firm and he told me that I was not the first this happened to.
It seems that anyone who gets too close to the boss his #1 butt buddy starts causing trouble for them. For me it was framing me to take the fall of a theft. To this day I have no idea what was even taken.
So yea, work your but off and play the game only to get slaughtered by some asshole.
Today I'm successfully self-employed and love it.
Don't think I could ever go back to working for a paycheck.