PDA

View Full Version : Wish I thought of this

DukenukemX
10-19-2002, 03:12 AM
Some hacker patented the Palladium technology to stop Microsoft from enforcing software licenses. Now thats a smart guy. :naughty:

Skeptical that this was actually the case, fellow panelist Lucky Green quickly filed two patents soon after the conference. The patents described methods for using the Palladium infrastructure to assist in the enforcement of software licensing. Green has a third patent application on the way.

The twist is that Green has no intention of implementing these techniques himself -- and in an interview with Wired News, declared his intention to "aggressively enforce his patents," if granted, to prevent anyone else from doing so.

Here's (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55807,00.html) the article. Everyone remember to thank LuckyGreen (http://www.cypherpunks.to/) for trying to stop Microsoft from doing something stupid. :D

matthew986
10-19-2002, 03:18 AM
YAY! I hope this goes through.

Jemsee
10-19-2002, 08:24 AM
That's pretty smart.
Using the law to defeat the law.

AlexMax
10-19-2002, 08:49 AM
Oh boy, this ought to be ffun.

What tangled webs we weave. Let's give this brave guy a hand.

Cyclone
10-19-2002, 11:12 AM
Someone challenging the giant. May the force be with him. :darkmage:

Cyclone

Ich
10-19-2002, 03:20 PM
We all know that no matter "right" the "cyberpunk" LuckyGreen is, microsoft's "lawyers" will make microsoft "more right" than the "cyberpunk" is because that's what "lawyers" do. "Uphold" the "law" when it "benefits" the "people" who are "right" i.e. "rich".

gdorf
10-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Of course if Biddle's claims are correct, and Palladium is not intended to be used to prevent software piracy, then whether or not Green is issued his patents should make no difference to Microsoft.

I think it is cool as hell that a guy did this, mad props dude.
*Score 1 more for Open source* :tongue:

SParnicky
10-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Nice

Menokh
10-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Cool.
Lets just hope this works, so Palladium won't stop 'unsigned code' from running. Of course since MS does have that as a plan(to stop unsigned code from running, therefore killing the competition slowly), I wouldn't be surprised if Ms's lawyers sue this guy for using the word Palladium...

Beldaran
10-19-2002, 05:30 PM
I hope his patents are revoked. Software licensing is moral and capitalistic.

Dart Zaidyer
10-19-2002, 07:24 PM
...Except when that morality and capitalism is abused to stamp out competitors and, eventually, constitutional freedoms.

DukenukemX
10-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Posted by Beldaran
I hope his patents are revoked. Software licensing is moral and capitalistic

If he did this with say AMD's new 64-bit technology then yeah it's evil. Then again the Palladium technology will give Microsoft power over your PC. Palladium technology can actually prevent you from installing software on your PC even when the technology is off. Not to forget it opens the front door of your PC for RIAA. The word "Personal Computing" will soon be a lie.

I'm sure Microsoft will offer him money or their lawyers will work around it somehow.

Cyclone
10-19-2002, 11:12 PM
even if someone offers him many millions to revoke it, I hope it doesn't. Remember, MS is trying to stamp out people who can't afford to pay the money to "sign" their programs. That includes little programs such as the one this forum grew up on, and still hosts; yes, Zelda Classic.

Cyclone

AlexMax
10-20-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
I hope his patents are revoked. Software licensing is moral and capitalistic.

That was the whole point. He is proving that patents are a double edged sword, and with any luck people will finally see the shoddiness of the copyright system in place here in america.

El Oso Verde
10-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Let's just hope that large men hired by Microsoft don't take him for a little walk.

This Palladium shit is making me consider switching to a *nix OS. Then again, nothing's stopping me from keeping Win98se. :mega:

mrz84
10-20-2002, 01:32 PM
yay! another person fighting the demon from the nether regions, Bill Gates! come mallet-sama, we have a comrade to assist! *runs off with said mallet to help said comrade* :kawaii: