PDA

View Full Version : Full Screen Warp Question

ShadowTiger
10-17-2002, 08:12 AM
I've gotten most of 163 under my belt for now, but something still bothers me. What exactly is "Full screen warp?" My initial opinion is that it keeps all the enemies on the same place if they are identical when you warp to keep screen similarity, or maybe keeps track if you have taken an item or not.

Please assist on the matter, and we shall all come away a little bit more knowledgeable.

blckscab
10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
When you make a warp of some kind all of the enemys and items on the screen get warped to the new screen with you in the same place as they were on the other screen.

note
if a full screen warp is made when you are warped to a screen were a message string is suposed to take place. The message will not show up, and if there are enemys on the screen you are warping to, they wont show up.

That is all I know, so there could be more:shrug:

hope that helped:D

ShadowTiger
10-17-2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks Blckscab. Nice of you.

Could I get a clarification on that? I'd appreciate it.

I want to know exactly what kind of neat tricks I can do with this thing. I don't want the player to suspect anything when I warp him to a scene before the miniboss. When he beats the miniboss, he is warped back to that same screen, but doesn't warp anymore because he landed on a trigger-perm that erases the pit tiles that warped him to the screen near the miniboss.
- That reminds me, I've gotta thread this trick.

C-Dawg
10-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Brittina... it's not as if everyone hasn't done that. You dont even need full screen warps. Just add one no-secret chime flag, two boss flag screens and add water.

The Full-Screen Warp is useful in four big situations I've come across this far. (All variations on the same theme, but they might be fun to try if you havn't edited in Zquest before)

1) LttP-Style stairs
This makes the transition between lower and upper levels nearly seemless. Climb the stairs and the enemies warp with you to the top level... with a bit of a flicker. The player can tell something changed, but unless he's Zquest savy he won't really catch on.

2) Puzzle Rooms / Switches
Remember Enigma Castle from Dreams of Yesterday? With full screen warps we can have one-way arrows, closing walls, block switches and all manner of goodies happen while not having to avoid putting baddies in the room.

3) Custom Bosses
Since you can now do full-screen animations ala pit warps and still have enemies/projectiles on the screen.... (Add in the technique of setting multiple screen destinations for the warps on one screen and you've opened a world of new bosses.)

4) Item Tricks
The full-screen warp prevents items from appearing on the room you warp to. This may have some interesting applications as a puzzle for the player...

-C

ShadowTiger
10-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Thank you very much, C-Dawg! You really do know your stuff!

*Pats C-Dawg on back, goes to try tricks.*