PDA

View Full Version : To those who've been to Corona Mountain.

Elemental Knight
10-16-2002, 03:52 PM
I had just gotten the Seventh Shine in the port level, having beat beat Water Mario's ass to the curb in every area, when the town got flooded. Hell of a coincidence, eh?

So, Water Mario taunts me to enter a cave which had been previously blocked off. I, being the mindless hero that I am, follow blindly.

Apparently, someone forgot to keep the pathways in Corona Mountain from falling into the lava. You'd think that'd be an awful simple thing to remember, but no. They just had the spike- and fire-covered pads that once, probably, supported the pathway once. How, I don't know.

So, I die many a time on the second area, where you ride on a crappy little boat. After dying several times, I quit - having saved before first entering Corona Mountain, but after the town flooded - and go to bed.

Two days later, I open the save file up again.

The town's back to normal!

The floodwaters are gone, everyone thanks me for saving Isle Delfino from Water Mario, and I can head back to the Airport to grab some red coinage via a boat that charges 10 coins, an awful "exorbant" price (considering how those coins can be found anywhere, anytime...).

But I never beat Water Mario. I never even faced him in Corona Mountain.

WTF?!?!

Warlock
10-16-2002, 04:07 PM
The town only floods right after you beat all of the Water Marios (episode 7 in each stage). After you go to Corona Mountain once, the town will be back to normal. I'm kind of surprised you could go to the airstrip tho.

BTW, if you want practice on the boat thing, go to Noki Bay. That Tanooki guy will give you a free boat to mess around with, so you can practice steering and stuff in SAFE water (btw, be sure to go AFTER you have cleaned the bay). Believe me, after dying a million times in that thing, I am a master at steering those boats :D

ShyGuy0824
10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
the cave should still be open though, right? And I'm pretty sure you'll still get the ending. And the boat is fine, you just need to take your time. Once you've learned to steer it fairly well it's a cinch. Getting all the blue coins while on it is another story...

And that was a fun game, I've still got to get the secret shines and a few of the blue coin shines.

Warlock
10-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Yes, the cave is open forever after you open. It's open after you beat the last boss (in fact, you can beat him over and over and over if you want).

satanman
10-17-2002, 11:49 AM
heh, That's a good game, but I'd like to know how many blue coins there are in each area, I've got all standard stars :)

Warlock
10-17-2002, 01:47 PM
I think most levels have 20.. I can't remember though. Seems like you can check the chart ingame to see how many you have collected (Z button)

ShyGuy0824
10-17-2002, 03:32 PM
There are thirty in each level, with twenty in the hub world. Usually there's one mission in which you'll get most of these at a time (i.e. talking to piantas in Pianta village)

LordMagus
10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
I currently have 119 shines. All I need is about 5 blue coins which I can't find.

Has anyone here gotten all 120 shines?

Warlock
10-17-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by LordMagus
Has anyone here gotten all 120 shines?

Me :D

DarkDragoonX
10-17-2002, 06:38 PM
I have, and after the hellish time I had hunting down the dozen-odd blue coins I missed, I am not playing that game again for 20 years. =P

Dart Zaidyer
10-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Boats are weird. But, I steer them by slowly accellerating using the aft side, then running up to the bow and steering it in the proper direction, then running back and accelerating again, etc...

The trick with the spike platforms is to go for them about 1 second after the spikes actually jut out. The hover nozzle should save you from a skewering here. Also, use the hover nozzle to extinguish the burning platforms. It'll be a close call but you'll make it.

Elemental Knight
10-17-2002, 09:28 PM
The cave's still open, yeah; I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that if you don't wanna go through Corona Mountain to get the effects of beating the game (now, where's the fun in that?), you might be able to duplicate this.

DZ: I never had a problem with the first platfroms (once I got the pattern down), but I hate boats. And lilly pads, I hate those too.

Dart Zaidyer
10-17-2002, 09:48 PM
What helps with steering lilypads and boats is don't pay attention to the water stream you're spraying, pay attention to the back of the nozzle where it's got that pointed thing. (as if you were using the Turbo nozzle, in other words.) It's much easier to drive that way and you don't have to confuse your directions and stuff.

Parn
10-17-2002, 10:13 PM
It didn't take me long to beat that game, but I still only have like 90 shines. I thought that the boss of the game was way too easy, oh well. Mario Sunshine is a great game, but much easier than Mario 64.

satanman
10-18-2002, 11:32 AM
I can only find 25 blue coins on bianco hills and ricco harbour, and I've looked EVERYWHERE on each level, in each episode?
the hells going on?

Warlock
10-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by satanman
I can only find 25 blue coins on bianco hills and ricco harbour, and I've looked EVERYWHERE on each level, in each episode?
the hells going on?

Check GameFAQs..

satanman
10-19-2002, 08:06 AM
OK, I will (again)

ShyGuy0824
10-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Satanman, did you kill the spiders on the walls in ricco harbor? have you used yoshi for his various exploits?

And I have 105 shines, I'm still missing a bunch of the secret shines as well as the last one in Pianta Village, and two 100 coin shines. I've gotten a bunch of the blue coins already, though.

KJAZZ
10-20-2002, 12:42 AM
112 shines or some number like that...missing the damn blue coin shines..:D

satanman
10-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Yes, the spiders have all been snuffed... I think one keeps falling in the water, though.