PDA

View Full Version : (Yet More) Proof that the DMCA is crap.

AlexMax
10-16-2002, 10:36 AM
http://www.theregus.com/content/4/26656.html

What the fuck is this world coming to? Software authors who are scared to publish vulnerabilites about their own products because of the DMCA!!!!

Menokh
10-16-2002, 01:22 PM
Red Hat is just the first large company to do this.
Some smaller developers have been afraid that they might violate the DMCA for awhile now.

Anyhow, the DMCA does not benifit consumers or most companies. You know who it benifits? Microsoft, the RIAA, the MPAA, Sony, and others like them. Even Apple is worried about the DMCA.

Other nations may have similar laws, but they don't go anywhere near as far as the DMCA does. It makes you wonder why our gov't cares more about large corporate interests, then the interests of the people and smaller companies.

AtmaWeapon
10-16-2002, 01:31 PM
I hate big corporations using their weight to pass laws that only benefit them and not the consumer.

Artevoi
10-16-2002, 09:06 PM
So America really is the dumbest country on Earth. It's only a matter of time before our government is replaced by one supercorporation.

Blonde799
10-16-2002, 09:09 PM
....Or, we make everyone else convert to ours, and make a super stuporation!:laughing:

DukenukemX
10-16-2002, 09:48 PM
It's just a matter of time before the DMCA act is removed for not making sense. I don't know how the DMCA act went thru but it must have been quiet since I didn't hear about it in 1998.

MottZilla
10-17-2002, 12:23 AM
I have to agree, it'll likely be removed.

Cloral
10-17-2002, 02:42 AM
There have already been several bills introduced that would modify it. Just an example though of how these companies believe that they are above international law...

Beldaran
10-17-2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Artevoi
So America really is the dumbest country on Earth. It's only a matter of time before our government is replaced by one supercorporation.

Um, have you ever been to Haiti? America is the best.

Demimore
10-17-2002, 05:30 AM
Agree! :angry:

Cyclone
10-17-2002, 11:30 AM
I already know the DMCA is crap. Apparently, the people behind it think it's absolutely vital. :shrug:

Cyclone

Dark_Legend
10-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Big coroperations are GAY!

Blonde799
10-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Legend
Big coroperations are GAY!
So that's why they ask me to join in their "special" meetings. I always knew my opinion didn't count.:tongue:

Menokh
10-17-2002, 02:50 PM
Have any of you been to the Canada?
It may be colder, and some people may have the iratating habit of sayin things like 'eh', but I think it is better than here.
For one there are fewer pointless laws, including having nothing like the DMCA, and the national healthcare system is something nice too..

Anyhow regardless of all that, the DMCA will be repealed sometime in the next couple of years. It is a violation of other laws, and some people say it is unconstitutional. Either Congress willl deal with it, or the Supreme Court will.

AlexMax
10-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Either Congress willl deal with it, or the Supreme Court will.

You forgot the (TM) that it will likely have by that time. The BMG Supreme Court (TM) and the McCongress (TM), for instnace.