PDA

View Full Version : Cool Homemade Castlevania game

Warlock
10-14-2002, 07:36 PM
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/homemade.htm

It's the first one, Vampire. It's pretty damn cool. It's in japanese though, so I have no idea what any of the little items you collect are for :D It's kind of hard, but they seem to give you a lot of continues (no idea how many, it just says "Stock: 0" the entire time.. but you do run out eventually)

On the same page, Castle Quest and Dracula's Shadow are pretty cool too, but they use ghetto Allegro DOS which is plagued with the same sound problems I had in Zelda Classic before the windows version (although it seems much much worse in this game with adlib sound). Castle Quest seems to be essentially a Castlevania 1 type game w/ Castlevania 2 type graphics :D I was kind of hoping for a CV2 type game.. oh well.. Dracula's Shadow is supposively a remake of CV2 with lots of extra stuff. It's pretty good (although perhaps not as good as CV2 -- although the multiple characters are neat)

Mak-X
10-14-2002, 09:30 PM
I've played Vampire from time to time. I can't get past a certain level, usually the one where your jumping from tree to tree. It took me a while to figure out how to get past the beginning part, its easiest if you just ride and make all the jumps. I'm not sure if you can do it on foot.

There's one of them there that uses graphics from Dracula X (SNES) and is like the original castlevania game, but its very hard, very hard.

Warlock
10-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I think the tree level was where I died.. and yeah, the beginning took quite awhile.. you hit one of those logs and you are pretty much dead ;)

Kairyu
10-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Sprite also made Zugya, a space shooter which is pretty interesting. Does anyone know if their website is still being updated? I can't tell, and I've been wondering about some of those games for a while now (Fantasy looks interesting, and I wanna see more levels for Vampire. I simply ran into a door at the very start of the actual Castle and it ended...) I've been playing them for a while now, and does anyone know what to do in Dracula's Shadow after getting that Key in the Graveyard? I also have the Ring, but I forget which order I got them in... I don't know where to go next and it drove me nuts for a good while... I almost forgot I had the game.

MottZilla
10-15-2002, 04:23 PM
I've looked at some before. CastleQuest is very good. Infact the source code is avialable last I checked so you could get someone to port it to windows for you. ;p