View Full Version : Stupid Question

NeoPuff
10-13-2002, 09:31 AM
What is DoY?
(Evryone talks about it)

plith
10-13-2002, 09:49 AM
You're right, that is a stupid question. :tongue:
It's a quest called Dreams of Yesterday made by C-Dawg, the largest and arguably/supposedly best quest created for ZC to this point. No, I don't know where you can download it. It requires ZC Beta 152 to run properly, and I'm not very sure where you can find that either. Seeing as how the nature of the answer changes the nature of the topic, this would probably be better suited in the quest discussion forum.

VEL
10-13-2002, 01:25 PM
--Moved to Quest Announcement/Discussion--

DragonFang
10-13-2002, 02:24 PM
does anyone know where to download it? Or could someone send it to me please?

If it's ok with C-dawg I could upload it and post a link for download... (After I have the quest to upload)

C-Dawg
10-13-2002, 02:25 PM
You can get the quest file (And other goodies) by going to yahoo.com and accessing "satin_nail"s briefcase using the password "raven". Downloading the 152 beta necessary to run it is trickier- jman has the installer hosted in one of the DoY threads around here somewhere.

DoY isnt so much the best quest as much as it is the first real break with traditional zelda classic game design. I like to think of it as a sloppy example of what ZeldaClassic is truly capable of. Techniques like custom bosses, big keys, large-scale overworld changes, and a variety of complicated pit and boss flag based puzzles are used in earnest.

But it isnt all roses. The game is horrendously difficult (so I'm told). The graphics in the first part of the game are sometimes wanting, since I didnt start editing the tiles heavily until later on. And there are bugs... not too many, and the game is still winnable, but they occur in some annoying places. Maybe at some point I'll fix it and release a bug free version, but with Motzilla around it hardly seems worth it.

Oh, and some DoY triva for you. Im not certain, but I beleive that DoY generated the two largest threads in the3 ZCDiscussion forums ever- the beta reports thread and the quest help thread topped off at about 600 posts and thousands of views each. So when the board gets pruned next, I bet you'll lose those support threads. Check em out while they're around.

-C

MottZilla
10-13-2002, 04:10 PM
And why because of me is it not worth it to fix up and perfect you're really nice looking quest? Believe it or not I haven't done anything to make DoY less of a quest.

ShadowTiger
10-13-2002, 11:21 PM
True. All too true. DoY is actually pretty much revolutionary. I mean, it isn't everyday that you happen to stumble upon a quest that takes up 25 Dmaps, 63 (maybe 65) maps, and all of 2 hours a day for an entire school year. Add that to the awesome tiles he has, the custom bosses, the full blown nightmere battles, the insane dungeon layouts, the creative items, the fun factor, the puzzles, the difficulty factor, the boss keys, events, people, story, holy cow, great areas to explore, (I said holy cow! :laughing: ) And you have one heck of a great quest! It's too bad Cloral had to close down the thread. That... was some thread.

StarFox
10-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
I like to think of it as a sloppy example of what ZeldaClassic is truly capable of.

That's a fairly good description. A showcase, if you will.

And the reason people keep talking about it is because some people don't respect other people's threads for quests. I won't mention names, but just as a reminder: it's rude to talk about one person's quest in another person's quest thread. I know if I were C, I'd probably be annoyed at certain people for mentioning his quest in just about every post.

Well, I feel better now. I guess I just needed to get that out.

C-Dawg
10-14-2002, 01:35 AM
True. And if you recall, I have come down on certain individuals (coughbrittaniacough) who mention DoY at every turn. Its not good for the community. Remember how annoyed other questmakers got when all people would talk about was Revenge2?

Though I hope other questmakers do take a nod from the elements that make DoY worth playing, like custom bosses, creative puzzles, and massive worlds with varied personalities to explore.

-C

ShadowTiger
10-14-2002, 10:39 AM
:laughing: Sorry. Just, at the time, it was all I had to get one individual in some of my classes to convert to ZC. It came close, but apparently, the beginning wasn't full of action. He quit before he even left the curtain screen.

So I apologize for over-advertising, C-Dawg, and I hope your cough clear up.