PDA

View Full Version : Mega-Chuku?!

gdorf
10-12-2002, 08:38 PM
This happens all the time in windows, on average once every 3 - 10 minutes. A msgbox with the words "Mega Chuku 3.0" in the title-bar appears. All I can do is hit the okay button and close the annoyance. Does anyone know what the hell this is?.. it bugs the hell outta me. I suspect it might be a trojan or virus, as it seems to fit the characteristics of one (eg: appears suddenly, major annoyance).

type this in your browser to see what I am experiencing:

www.angelfire.com/art/avatarpage/megachuku.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

MottZilla
10-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Virus. Goto google.com and search for what it says. You'll likely find help.

Teilyr
10-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Try closing all open programs, using c+a+d, with the exception of systray and explorer. winipcfg release if you're on broadband and have a firewall up. Then, just wait. If it doesn't happen, you'll know it's something that was open.

But to me, I think you're being hacked. *nods*
Reminds me of an old remote hack from the early 90's. The program didn't do anything.. It just let the sender of the program see what the user was doing, send error messages, open the cd-rom, make the taskbar vanish, etc.

gdorf
10-12-2002, 09:12 PM
But to me, I think you're being hacked. *nods*
Reminds me of an old remote hack from the early 90's. The program didn't do anything.. It just let the sender of the program see what the user was doing, send error messages, open the cd-rom, make the taskbar vanish, etc.

Thats exactly what Iw as thinking, seeing as how it happens randomly throughout the week, and sometimes not at all. I bet some little kiddie is having a wonderful time right now, lol.

DukenukemX
10-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Ok first make sure you have Anti virus software like Norton Anti virus with the latest virus definitions.

Second download Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) and make it scan your HD for spy ware.

Also go into your C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc . There you will find a file called Hosts. Open it up with wordpad or notepad and erase everything in there and save. This file sits on your HD and can open up web sites when you go to a web site. Like if you go to www.google.com it will open another site. Spyware usually puts it there so you would get more adds.

If all else fails try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and close any programs running. If that works then you may need to go into your registry to prevent it from happening again.

gdorf
10-12-2002, 09:22 PM
*sigh* that means finding my Norton disk in my horrible mess of Cd's laying around the room. :tongue:

Mozilla: search for "Mega Chuku" at www.google.com... there are only three results, which could probably help.. if they were in english. :)

DukenukemX
10-12-2002, 09:29 PM
gdorf try that thing I said with the HOSTS file. I had something like what you have and erasing everything in the HOSTS file fixed it.

The Hosts file is a sneaking file that can open up other websites when you see a certain site. Even take you to another website. My friend played a game with me and made www.google.com go to www.playboy.com on my PC.

Teilyr
10-12-2002, 09:39 PM
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc doesn't even exsist on my system. O_o C:\windows\system32\drivers\ does, but there's no etc dir.

gdorf
10-12-2002, 10:31 PM
No etc, but a buncha other random files. lol

goKi
10-13-2002, 06:34 AM
that file exists on my computer, and my mothers.. i remember having to remove a worm that hid itself in that file on my mother's computer.

cyberkitten
10-13-2002, 05:34 PM
go to http://www.antivirus.com and click on the "free tools" link near the upper right of the webpage. follow the instructions to use "housecall", a free, online virus scanner that's updated almost daily.
it will fix the virus for you if it finds one and if it's possible. it will also tell you how to fix it on your own.
good luck!

Thunderbird
10-13-2002, 05:52 PM
DukenukemX, the HOSTS file is NOT a source of popups! What it is for is essentially a mini DNS server on your own computer. You type in an IP address and a URL next to it and if the DNS server of the site host dies, you can still get to the site. Same if your ISP's DNS server goes down.

Again, the HOSTS file is ONLY for DNS resolution without having to contact a DNS server. It does not do ANYTHING else.