PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bosses?

NeoPuff
10-12-2002, 07:48 AM
I heard that you can make custom bosses.
How?

P.S. i'm new to Zquest

NeoPuff
10-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Aaaaargh! I did'nt see that this exact same topic was posted already!

VEL
10-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Please don't double post (posting twice in a row), it is against the rules here. If you want to say something else or forgot to say something use the http://armageddongames.net/images/edit.gif button to edit your last post. ;)

ShadowTiger
10-14-2002, 10:11 AM
Just because it's posted already doesn't mean that we will necessarily say the same things here as in there. I think that was a mouthful.. :rolleyes"

For instance, ideas about custom bosses could go here.

Jigglysaint
10-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Good idea. BTW, good to see another Jigglypuff online, I though I was the only one.

As for idea, I'll try to think of some.

ShadowTiger
10-14-2002, 12:40 PM
I've already got many. *pop* Where'de they go!?!?! :confused: *pop* There they are. :)

1) Rip some Faxanadu Bosses that shoot fireballs. I've got the winged demon in the first tower all colored if you want. I'll try to upload it... eventually, as soon as I can, thanks to... *can't say.*

2) A large mechanical wall that you must shoot arrows into. Pit tiles warp you in between screens where you have to shoot arrows into different holes, and when you do, the pit tiles disappear, and you side warp elsewhere.

NeoPuff
10-14-2002, 01:50 PM
Yeah Jigglysaint,Jigglypuff rocks.
But to get on-topic, i don't know what pit warps are.
(read first post)

Jigglysaint
10-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Pit warps act like stair warps, only you warp to the exact same location on the next screen, rather than using the blue squares to set the location. I tried making a wizrobe who shot fireballs in patterns, but because the timed warps don't act like pit warps, it didn't work too well.

NeoPuff
10-14-2002, 03:21 PM
Sorry,But i still don't understand
(yes i am a little stupid :) )

C-Dawg
10-14-2002, 08:15 PM
Pit warps allow for stodgy animation following a single set sequence, with pauses for moments of vulnerability. This is, in a nutshell, what DoY's bosses are all about.

With 163 there are some new features that make even more advanced custom boss techniques possible. The second generation of custom boss design will soon begin...

-C

Blonde799
10-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
Pit warps act like stair warps, only you warp to the exact same location on the next screen, rather than using the blue squares to set the location. I tried making a wizrobe who shot fireballs in patterns, but because the timed warps don't act like pit warps, it didn't work too well.
Dammit, there goes my bosses for the next generation.:(

Verbatim
10-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Neopuff:

If you haven't gone through it, I'd really recommend Alphadog's Tutorial (http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/zqtutorial) as a starting place...it's a little out of date, since it was written for 1.90, but it will give you all the basics of how to use regular warps, set up a start point for your quest, make working dungeons, use secrets, etc. that you need to know before you can get into more advanced topics like using layers and pitwarping.

Here's some info warping and pitwarping--it's not everything you need to know, though...so if you need more of the basics, read A-dawg's tutorial, and then come back.

Normally, when you set up a tilewarp, in the room you want to warp from, you set up the warp tile, and set the destination under data->tilewarp. Then in the destination room, you press pagedown, which makes a series of boxes appear at the bottom of the screen--the first one places the item in the room, the second makes a set of stairs come up where you place it when the room's secret is triggered (as long as you set the 'stair' secret combo correctly), the third one (the 'blue square' people are talking about) sets the destination for Link to appear at if he's warped into that room. All the warp combos except for pit (there are a lot of them now--cave, cave 2, stair, dive warp, stairs, and swim warp) make you appear on the destination screen at the place where you put that blue square.

Pit combos were added with the idea that you could make Z3+ style pits--where you fall down a hole in one room, and appear at the spot you fell through in the room below. In order to do that, they ignore the blue square completely, and put you instead at the same location you were in the original room when you stepped on the pit combo.

Now, you can make a pit combo look like whatever you want to by assigning any tile to it--even make it look just like the floor of a room--so that the player can't tell that they "fell" through a pitwarp when they do--which opens up all kinds of possiblities.

If you set up a secret in a room, and set up secret flags with pit-warp tiles in them, and cover the floor with those flags, you can have things like a boss that you have to shoot with an arrow, which triggers the secret, making the pit-warp tiles appear, which warp the player to the screen where the boss is dead.

That, of course, would be a very boring boss...but if you experiment with using enemy placement flags and layers to trap enemies under a "boss" (so that the boss seems to be shooting the enemies' weapons), using statue combos with "statues shoot fire" turned on, using damage combos, and a variety of other techniques (which you can read about in various topics here), you can create some pretty good bosses.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2002, 10:44 AM
If you can manage to put a lot of molblins in a very small space, (Vertical room to walk only for a vertically oriented boss!) you can make him shoot many spears. That would be just swell for a boss. Magic too, with Octorocks on Crack.

NeoPuff
10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Hey Verbatim,I'm not THAT stupid :).I read thru Alphadawg's tutorial already,and i still have 1.90 :(
but thanks i am gonna test it!

Jigglysaint
10-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Now I understand why you don't know what pit tiles are, get beta 163.

ShadowTiger
10-16-2002, 10:29 AM
That beta has virtually everything that you would ever need to do... just about.... Anything! C-Dawg is living proof, but I won't start. I will respect his wishes and not go too far with that. It's only a very good reference point.

NeoPuff
10-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Mmmm,Pizza! yummie! *eats pizza*:)
hehehe.
Where can you get beta 163 cuz Armageddon Games main is still down.

Blonde799
10-16-2002, 12:43 PM
Go here:
http://zelda-gaming.com/azcforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700
Now don't bother anyone about it again.;)

ShadowTiger
10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
thanks for putting us in your sig, Neopuff. Nice of you. Just ask one of us if you have specific questions. Good questions lead to good answers... ;)