PDA

View Full Version : help with an ip issue

Gerudo
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
i had called my cable company about another ip for my own comp, and they said all i need is to say "yes" and i am set. yay.

what my gripe is, is my brother seems to think that you cant have 3 comps hooked up with 2 ip's...

i have a hub, as it stands now my connection is like this.

modem -> bro's comp -> hub -> my comp

all i want is my own ip so i dont have to rely on his uptime for my uptime...

so my question is: is it possible to run 3 computers with 2 ip's? (like have our older comp run off his or mine, and be ok)

theplustwo
10-09-2002, 11:44 AM
well, I have 2 comps on one IP so you should be able to get 3 comps on 2 IPs just hook your hub directly up to your modem, and then hook the third comp to either your bros or your pc and use ICS do fanagle around it.

http://theplustwo.netfirms.com/ips.gif

Well, thats how I see it. May be wrong though, Im not exactly an expert in the area.

Gerudo
10-09-2002, 12:48 PM
lmao, nice drawing!

ill get another opinion tho ;)

teddyboy420
10-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah you should have no problem with that. Just change the place of the hub, to have it like this:

modem>hub>comp1, comp2

Cyclone
10-09-2002, 01:48 PM
I am much amazed by your drawing skills, son. :kawaii:

Seriously, though, nice way of explaining compared to, "Well, hook this up to that, bleh up to blah, and do the blah blah..."

;)

Cyclone

theplustwo
10-09-2002, 01:59 PM
well, I drew that in about 2 seconds in flash, so :tongue: . If I wanted a super-professional one, I'd have it in about 2 days, but I get the feeling gerudo wouldn't have wanted to wait that long :P

EDIT:

Originally posted by Gerudo
lmao, nice drawing!

ill get another opinion tho ;)

Oh, so you don't trust me, eh? j/k :lol:

LittleBuddy
10-09-2002, 02:29 PM
It's not that hard, we're using a hub for an ISDN, which is linked to a network hub, this is linked to 2 computers & 1 other network hub in my room, which is in turn linked to 2 computers, 1 f*cked though.
To say it the easy way: We're using 3 comps on *1* IP. :shrug:

To do it without anyone relying on another computer you'd need a network hub with at least 4 connections for it.
..........Modem
...............|
Comp1--Hub--Comp2
...............|
..........Comp3

Kinda like that... ^

Linus

gdorf
10-09-2002, 08:55 PM
get a router, 4 computers, one IP. :tongue:

Jemsee
10-10-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
get a router, 4 computers, one IP. :tongue:

That's the thing to do.
It is how I have mine set up. I only have 2 PC but can have up to 4 with one router.
I don't understand why you go to a PC first then the hub, should it not be the hub then to the PC?
That is how the router works, and when 2 people are on I hardly see any slow down at all. It works vary well.