PDA

View Full Version : Rule of Law and the Democrats = Strangers

Starkist
10-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Two years ago in Florida the presidential election was so close that it triggered an automatic recount. After recounting, the results were different, but still presented the same winner. Same thing after a second recount. When the Attorney General of the state finzalized election results at the deadline demanded by the state constitution, she was demonized by the Democrats. They went so far as to take the case to the Florida Supreme Court where nine Democrats ruled that the recount could continue. They had sworn to uphold the state constitution but this time they ruled in favour of the party. Party power comes before rule of law for the Democrats it seems.

Two years later, they've done it again. Robert 'The Torch' Torricelli, hounded by ethics problems and falling in polls, withdrew from his New Jersey campaign for the US Senate. Now the state constitution forbids the replacement of a candidate on a ballot within six weeks of the election. Torricelli withdrew less than six weeks prior to the election, and now his party wants to replace him. Their new candidate is faring better in the polls against the Republican challenger. What about the law though? The Republicans took it to the state supreme court where a Democratic majority upheld the Democrats position. Once again party power trumps rule of law. The Democrats needed a better candidate, one with a better shot at winning and therefore keeping Democratic majority in the Senate.

When party power becomes the supreme goal of a group of people it is scary. Nothing stands in the way of power.

On a related note, isn't it ironic that the animal symbol for the Democrats is an ass?

Beldaran
10-07-2002, 06:15 PM
It's not ironic. Its appropriate.

Artevoi
10-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
It's not ironic. Its appropriate.

I agree, from Liberman to Hollings to Clinton to "Baghdad Jim," it seems like Demoncrats are the enemies of common sense and laws in general. Needless to say, I always vote against Democrats in any election.

DukenukemX
10-07-2002, 09:36 PM
The last presidential election was sad. You know why the election was so close? It was because Americans had bad choices. We had to vote for Bush or Gore. 38% of Americans think that George Bush is his father. 50% think there twins and 12% just don't know. AL Gore was quiet with Bill Clinton but he dances and acts in front of you when it was election time. The reason is was so close was because Americans had terrible choices.

It's really sad when it's election time we have only two choices. The most important thing for a Country and we only have two people to select. I have more choices for cat food then I do for a president.

gdorf
10-08-2002, 07:19 PM
I have more choices for cat food then I do for a president.

There is a reason for that. You know that Hitler had to go up against many other people in his election (16, maybe?).. anyway, when there are so many people to choose from, 10% can easily win a vote.. and, for all we know we just might have 10% of people who hate a certain race, etc.

Menokh
10-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Despite any reason for why the candidates are anrrowed down, it is still depressing.

Our elections very often consist of voting for who we consider to be the lesser of two evils. The 2000 Pesidential election is a prime example. So is this years Massachusetts' governer race, we have either Mitt Romney(Republican, rich stuck up person IMO who thinks the solution to Mass's buget problem is tax cuts) or Shannon O'Brien (Democrat, who thinks she can actually bring change and called large companies dinosaurs).

AtmaWeapon
10-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DukenukemX
38% of Americans think that George Bush is his father. 50% think there twins and 12% just don't know.

It's really sad when it's election time we have only two choices. The most important thing for a Country and we only have two people to select. I have more choices for cat food then I do for a president.

For the first point, what is your source for these reliable statistics?

For the second point, your statement is flawed. The President is important, but in reality the most important choice for the individual citizen is Senators and Representatives, particularly Representatives. Your Congressmen are the people who tell the President what you want, the President just decides whether to support it or not. Congress does have veto override, which takes a lot of support, but generally, if there is strong support in Congress, the President won't veto.

And don't even give me the BS about "the President represents America to other countries". We reelected Clinton, a man who obviously has extra-marital affairs and even has some shady business dealings in his past. Either America doesn't give a crap, or we think lowly of ourselves.

Cloral
10-09-2002, 01:29 AM
You think you have it bad? In California, for govenor we can either reelect Grey Davis, who took money from Enron to cause the California energy crisis so that Enron and other large energy companies could get rich, or Bill Simon, who has one of the worst records of business fraud you could possibly find! I doubt I'll be voting this year... Anybody know who'se running Green Party?

I know a few republicans personally, and I can definitively say that they are arrogant rich pricks who care about nothing but making themselves richer. If this means killing the environment and halting immogration, then so be it. You simply do not matter to them. I mean, what the fuck do you think school vouchers are about? Giving a poor family a $1000 voucher isn't going to enable them to afford a private school! So they are still stuck going to public school, while the rich families use their vouchers to save $1000 that they don't really need anyway, meaning that the public schools lose money and get even crappier than they are now! But if this means they can save $1000 now, that's how they want it!

Starkist
10-09-2002, 02:07 AM
Voucher programs are supposed to be for poor families.

There must be two groups of Republicans because all the ones I know, myself included, are genuinely nice people who care about others and believe in freedom and self determination.

Beldaran
10-09-2002, 04:17 AM
I'm a republican and I'm a fucking wonderful human being. I'm just smarter than demorcrats, that's all.:nerd: :reading: ;)

Foxx
10-09-2002, 04:31 AM
Yeah, what Cloral said. Our choices for the major-political-party candidates for governor are indeed abominable, the horns of an unsolvable dilemma. Anyone know who's running for the Libertarians?

The one thing that amazes me is how few votes third-party candidates get even now. You'd think that people would be fed up with all the bullsh++ associated with the major political parties, yet they stick with them since they're all so damned unadventurous. People, it seems, would rather follow the familiar and well-trodden road to hell than venture into the unknown.

slothman
10-09-2002, 04:34 AM
This rivalry between Rebublocrats and Democans reminds me of my 5th grade when half the students in my class were "bushies" and half were "dukasises". The problem with insulting either "denomination" is that both groups "like" only certain people. Republicans don't specifically want to ruin the environment or hurt poor people; their ideals just end up doing that. Similarly Democrats don't hate rich folk or big business but they just want laws that happen to hurt them more than poorer people. As a side wager, try to guess which of those 2 parties I lean more toward to.

Starkist
10-09-2002, 04:37 AM
The Know-Nothings? Oh wait, that wasn't a choice..... ;)

inori
10-09-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Cloral
You think you have it bad? In California, for govenor we can either reelect Grey Davis, who took money from Enron to cause the California energy crisis so that Enron and other large energy companies could get rich, or Bill Simon, who has one of the worst records of business fraud you could possibly find! I doubt I'll be voting this year... Anybody know who'se running Green Party?

I know a few republicans personally, and I can definitively say that they are arrogant rich pricks who care about nothing but making themselves richer. If this means killing the environment and halting immogration, then so be it. You simply do not matter to them. I mean, what the fuck do you think school vouchers are about? Giving a poor family a $1000 voucher isn't going to enable them to afford a private school! So they are still stuck going to public school, while the rich families use their vouchers to save $1000 that they don't really need anyway, meaning that the public schools lose money and get even crappier than they are now! But if this means they can save $1000 now, that's how they want it!

If the public schools in California weren't so abysmal, then your argument would lose much of its relevance. This state needs to do a lot of work on its public school system, regardless of who's in office.

Beldaran
10-09-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Cloral

I don't even think public school should exist. All it does indoctrinate kids. If you're worried about kids getting a good education, then spend a day at a public school, and you will see that they aren't getting one anyway. They are taught to work together, make peace, think collectively, and compromise, but they aren't taught how to do long division, solve equations, or write essays. Public school as become a multi-billion dollar baby sitting service.

If you want a good childhood education you HAVE to go to private school, and if thinking that the government should treat poor people just the same they treat wealthy people makes me a prick then fine. But when I say equality, I mean it. Everyone gets equal treatment, and preferably, that is NO treatment.

If you can't afford school for your kids then do what I'm doing and take out loans, because if it is REALLY worth it then you will find a way to make it work.

Fortunately, the evil republicans are trying to come up with a way to subsidize the impossible dream of an actual education. The left wingers who control the school systems are just afraid they will lose their $$$ as well as their monopoly on the minds of our youth.

Starkist
10-09-2002, 05:31 AM
The teachers unions are the biggest critics of vouchers and charter schools because they are competition for the public schools. They draw children away. For every child in a public school the school gets a certain amount of money. Less children = less money. Less money = upset unions. The Democrats' solution to this is the same as every other problem: dump money on it and act as if you're making a difference.

Anyway, this topic has strayed. Having an illogical position on issues does not violate the law. :spin:

Menokh
10-09-2002, 11:50 AM
There are two types of people in any group.
Assholes and nice people. Why would it be any different for republicans and democrats?

Public schools exist because most people believe that all children deserve an education. While I firmly believe this, I also believe that children and parents should have a choice as to public or private schools. Voucher programs are something else all together, they tried them in various states, they never do what they are intended to do, they wind up benifiting the rich and nor really helping the poor. And Belderan, I don't know how it is over there, but here in Massachusetts we are taught all that stuff, in fact we have to know how to write good essays to graduate, same with equations(part of the really long and hard MCAS tests we all have to pass). The problem isn't public schools themselves, it's the general attitude towards them; look at Europe's schools and Japan's schools, both have public school systems, but they have one major difference from ours, a high school graduate there is the rough equivalent of a college student with a Bachelor's degree here in terms of knowledge and achievement. Why is it that European students and Japanese students get a high quality education, when most kids here don't?

Ich
10-09-2002, 12:07 PM
About the Ass for the Democrats, people called Andrew JACKson a JACKass and he took the symbol for his party. I am a Republican but I will vote for anyone, including Democrats, just so long as they act think speak and feel like Die-hard Republican conservatives.