PDA

View Full Version : New Virus

Mystery-Q
10-06-2002, 11:17 PM
I just heard on the news a second ago about a new virus. Its another that allows someone a remote connection. The news said it hits Windows OS but thats it. I figure because they dont even think of linux and maybe it don't hit macs. Also they didnt say which OS (98, ME, 2000, NT, XP).

If anyone knows anything more about this can you post here please.

Menokh
10-06-2002, 11:26 PM
98% of all viruses written are for Windows. The rest are mostly for non-UNIX Macintosh or Macro viruses for Mac Office. Very few viruses exist for Unix systems(including Linux) because there is little point unless the user is running as root. It is more common to find worms on Linux, like the recent failure that exploited SSL(the Slapper worm).

As for the virus itself, it will most likely be Windows exclusive, since it is easier to do a single platform virus. And it probably spreads through email like most Windows viruses. Just take basic precautions when checking your email, like not using Outlook or Outlook Express, and be extremely careful downloading email attachments.

cyberkitten
10-07-2002, 12:07 AM
actually, there shouldn't be a problem with outlook or outlook express as long as you don't allow it to automatically open itself in the preview pane. when you allow that, executables can start themselves right up and then you're screwed. i run outlook express just because i'm too lazy to set becky! up right now, and i haven't had a problem since i don't allow it to automatically preview.

Menokh
10-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Not having used Outlook all that much I can fully say I was unaware of that option.

But I do know Outlook and Outlook Express will run embedded scripts automatically Is there an option to disable those too? Or does the option mentioned aboce do that as well?

cyberkitten
10-07-2002, 12:29 AM
i'm assuming that if you don't preview/display it, it won't be able to run until you open it yourself. you can also choose to receive your mail in text, i believe, rather than html and it should also take care of the problem until you open/execute it.
i just know i haven't had any problems with any virus since i disabled the preview pane. i've not really been interested enough to test anything or look into it any further so i really can't be much help :shrug:

Warlock
10-07-2002, 01:33 AM
Doesn't a dialog box pop up and ask you if you want to run the program? I seem to recall that. Perhaps not. I dunno. Either way, my school has virus filters built into the e-mail system, so it's fairly hard for me to actually get viruses anyways ;) I setup Outlook to automatically send any virus (they add a "Virus detected" type message to the header) to the trash bin. I only wish they would friggin' update Outlook with some more advanced mail rules. I would really like one that I could say something like "If To line is NOT __insert my e-mail addresses here__ send to trash".. I get so much damn spam and almost none of it is actually addressed to one of my valid e-mail addresses. bah.

vegeta1215
10-07-2002, 02:09 AM
Another advantage of using Linux, no need to worry about viruses.

But, those who do have to worry, my advice is to get some nice anti-virus software (I prefer Norton simply because McAfee was a pain in the ass last time I used it), and to not use IE or Outlook (many people targets these programs because of their security problems)

Lone Wolf
10-07-2002, 04:48 AM
Well I'll just be sure not to open foreign emails.