PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube games in review...

AlexMax
10-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Taking a hint from Belderan, I have rented a handful of Gamecube games myself and I feel like I need to review a few games myself. So here goes...

Super Smash Bros. : Melee

Having gotten experience from SSB for Nintendo 64, I can honestly say that this is a marked improvement over the 64 version. I especially liked the fact that no longer could you simply press R and throw people to oblivion as often, and that more emphesis was placed on smash attack for KO's it added a tad more depth to the game, and allowed people to actually be better at a game than newbies, while still being quite accessable. Though some of the new charactors are quite forgettable.

Resident Evil

I never did like the Resident Evil series. They required too much of a time commitment and the control was atrochious. However, this incarnation actually encouraged me to play it for quite a long time, getting lost in a maze of beautiful graphics. I guess this game is alright if Resident Evil is your thing. (And a side not, I actually liked the controller a little bit better than the PS controler for this game)

Super Monkey Ball

I have never ever rented a game twice since Super Mario Kart for the SNES. Until this game. This game simply blows me away in every possible meaning of the word. It is SO easy to get into, yet gets so frustratingly difficult near the end that I was about to throw my controller out the window and give someone a nasty headache. But I was compelled to play on. Why? What was it about this game that made it SO MUCH FUN? Well, whateevr it was, I spent coutless hours unlocking the mini-games. Oh, the mini-games. The party games. My friends and I spent countless hours playing 4 player monkey target because of this game. This is about the best multiplayer experience I have played in a while, ousted only by Goldeneye. I would have played the second one, but it was out. Figures. This is a must have title.

Nascar Thunder

I honestly didn't play this game. But my friend, who origionally didn't like the idea of a gamecube, didn't want to stop playing this game. He's a big fan of Nascar, so he knows his Nascar games. He liked it, so if thats your kind of game, play it.

Turok : Evolution

An unremarkable game by all means except graphics. Being a fan of the origional Turok, I was a tad disappointed that the control scheme didn't work out, and I couldn't control my charactor worth a shit. After messing with the controls, it changed to barely tolerable, but then the long loading times between levels put me off for good. Twin sticks played in this manner is possible, and is not a fault of the GC controllers design, however. If they had allowed the alternate control scheme to be reversed, a la Halo (Move and turn with upper left stick, strafe and look with lower right) I would have enjoyed this game a lot more. Oh, and the interface needs to be fixed, and I honestly think that they have learned nothing since Turok 1's botched itnerface.

Smugglers Run : Warzones

I havn't had this much fun since doing stunt quarries on Motorcross Madness 2. Except the cars are cooler you get countermeasurs, and several game modes that are just a blast, either single player or multiplayer. The idea of putting flares around checkpoints is a stroke of pure genius (though I realize they've been doing this since the PS2 version), and luckly you can see them from a million miles away and with an incredable 60 fps, even in 2 player mode (!) thanks to the incredable draw distance and the engine which is tweaked to perfection. And it really does feel like a nitty gritty game, especially in the later levels with police and rival gang members breathing down your neck. I higly recomend this game, the only fault I found with the game is that reverse is not handled the way I like it to be. (Reverse ought to be B and back, or just plain B while stationary, not Z)

So the score for the gamecube so far is 3-1-3 so far, which is honestly better than I ever expected. (Good games, bad games, games I was indifferent about). For 149 dollars, I think I got my moneys worth already. Now if only the blockbuster would stop being Gamecube Nazis' and start stocking more recent GC games...

Lone Wolf
10-06-2002, 10:12 PM
I'm sorry, but resident Evil is a great series. It biggest mistake was goin to the cube anyway, should of stuck with PS2. Or be multiplatformed.

MottZilla
10-06-2002, 10:33 PM
How was it a mistake? It's easier to go exclusive to one platform. While you may lose those too stuborn to but the new platform, the other people that never played it before and have the new platform could fill that gap.

Anyways. I have SSBM and RE, that's all.

matthew986
10-06-2002, 10:41 PM
WTF? Wheres Rogue Leader? O well here it goes:

Rogue Leader
This is the sequel to Rogue Squadron and plays alot like it. Its an excellent arcade space shooter, this time with actual space in it. The N64 was just to limited to pull this off. Like the oringinal it puts you in the shoes of a Rebel Fighter except you now get to fly through the movies. From the Battle of Endor to The Run Through the Asteroid Belt its all in here. And the new stages put in to connect the movies fit right in and make it more realistic. But the flaw in Rogue Leader is the lack of new features, besides the Targeter, the ability to change ships (which was already in Battle for Naboo), and much improved AI theres nothing new. But it is still an excellent game and a must for Game Cube owners, especially with its price dropping.

Menokh
10-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Star Fox Adventures
Another excellent Gamecube game. The graphics are excellent, with the best fur effects I have ever seen, the best graphics I've seen on the Cube so far. There is a small problem with shadowing during cinema scenes, and the occasional frame rate problem while loading massive areas(areas are almost too massive and detailed for such and early game) although it is never a problem. Plays alot like OoT on the N64 with it's own distinctive flare. Only major problem, it is damned near impossible to die, why the included a bafomdad(extra life) bag is beyond me. All in all, a great game worthy of any one's attention.

ShyGuy0824
10-06-2002, 11:21 PM
I could add to this...
Super Mario Sunshine

A good game, and some improvement over Mario 64. Water effects and some textures are markedly better than other games on the system, however the game isn't entirely Mario. It's more like a novelty game than an addition to the Mario Universe. Nonetheless, other than the lack of Mario feel, Super Mario Sunshine is an enthralling, fun game.

8.9 out of 10

Eternal Darkness

Easily one of the best exclusive games on the Cube, Eternal Darkness has a lot in it, and is a very deep, challenging game. Those clamoring that the Gamecube was just for kids hadn't played this yet, as it is purely awesome. Deep, deep story; Awesome gameplay. I love the weapons system in the game, as well as the magic capability. The Insanity meter is an innovation that is very impressive, and is sometimes so believable that you will throw your controller in disgust (i.e. frozen screen). The only problems were with the sound and lack of bosses, but those were clearly not needed to make this experience enjoyable.

9.7 out of 10

Star Fox Adventures

Ah yes, the last Rare game on Nintendo, and although the game is not the best thing in the Gamecube's lineup, it is impressive and at least worth a rental. Firstoff, the graphics on Star Fox are incredible. You won't find more fluid, detailed backgrounds and animations in any other game. Movie sequences are pulled off flawlessly. The sound is good, and occasionally memorable. The storyline is okay, although seriously lacking in some parts. The gameplay is what everyone talks about though. The battle system leaves some to be desired for, especially in timing. Basically you have combos and what not you can perform with your spear as well as magic attacks, but those are not really needed as the element is mostly timing. Dodging an attack and then striking really isn't that hard. Item collecting is in the game often, however it does seem to serve its purpose most of the time to fulfill the storyline. The challenges are so-so in that they are sometimes adequate, however they occasionally jump to 'boring and time-consuming' or 'truly impossible'. However the boss-levels are great, and the flying part is ample.

8.3 out of 10

Warlock
10-07-2002, 01:24 AM
Resident Evil is the kind of game that you really have to get into before it starts getting fun. I rented it first off, and really it wasn't that fun. But it was fun enough that I bought it.. I think there is a certain point in the game where it gets much much better (maybe it's the point where you actually have enough friggin' ammo to kill zombies!!). I still need to beat it tho.

Someone should do Animal Crossing.. really great game. I'd write one but I don't feel like doing so right now :D

AlexMax
10-07-2002, 03:00 PM
No rogue leader. Tha's how crappy our blockbuster is... :(

Oh, and ED has a frozen screen for one of the sanity effects? Awesomeness...

(frozen screen)

NOOOO! I THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING MY GAMECUBE!!! WHERE DID THIS XBOX COME FROM!!?!?!?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Though I wonder if the sanity effect was intended to be a subtle jab at the Xbox....

WarOmnimon
10-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
Someone should do Animal Crossing.. really great game. I'd write one but I don't feel like doing so right now :D

And I'm the man to do it...

This game is very addictive. Tons of items to collect, and a password system that when used with an internet capable PC allows trading of items over the net. Old NES games available in the game make it more addictive. And of course, different things happen on different days, following the actual time of the real world. A game not to be missed.

jman2050
10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

now, i know that I am a big Sonic fan. I fell in love with the original Genesis games when I was but a lad. I was hooked for all time since then. Now imagine how happy I was when I find out that one of my favorite game series was being moved to the gamecube. Pure sweetness (especially since I never owned a DC). How does the game turn out. It is my policy to put unbiased reviews despite my feelings, so here goes:

I've never played a Sonic Adventure game before this one, so I cannot compare it to its first incarnation. With that said, I must say that this is one of the most interesting games for Gamecube. It has a very nice, solid variety of gameplay as well as a fairly decent multiplayer. The game's replay value is totally awesome (just try getting all 180 emblems) and the addictive and thoroughly complex chao game will keep patient gamers playing for a long time to come.

unfortunetely, it does have its flaws. First, the camera. NEVER have I played a game with such a screwed up camera. This isn't much of a problem with the running or shooter stages, but it is atrocious for the treasure hunting games. This is definately something they should've improved on. Alo, on a similar note, some of the gameplay features are lackluster. The running stages are awesome and addicting, but the shooting stages are only OK in comparison. The treasure-hunting stages are the worst though, and will keep even the most wary of gamers with a serious headache (either from frustration, boredom, or both). It would have been so much better to keep this game traditional, or at least improve upon its stages. The main story is also slightly short as well. All in all, this game is definitely worthy of the Sonic name, but could have been tweaked a bit more. I give it a solid 8 out of10.

Fiyerstorm
10-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Burnout

Racing in heavy traffic? Awesome. Burnout is a racing game that you WANT to get into accidents with. Although the crashes make you lose the race, the fun in seeing your and other people's cars smashed is tight. You can save your crashes on your memory card so that is cool. the music is alright but I've heard better on a racing game. The graphics are very full and nice. Smooth framerate flow.Overall, if you like crashes and racing....RENT THIS NOW>PLZ!

Kirby of Doom
10-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Bomberman Generation

Was kind of interesting at first...
Got bored of it after a while. I got tired of 1 player after the first 3 levels. The multi-player is ok though.

Think about renting instead of buying.