PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh! Stupid freaking IGN

jman2050
10-06-2002, 07:36 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/373/373420p1.html

Warlock, Orion, thanks in advance ;)

Tygore
10-06-2002, 07:47 PM
What's the article about? Or do I not want to know?

jman2050
10-06-2002, 07:51 PM
I wanted it to be a surprise, but just in case it isn't as good as I think it will be, it's about the Metroid Prime commercials. Seems that they sent someone over to Sydney and even got videos :D .

Tygore
10-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Did you say... videos...

WARLOCK! ORION! GET YOUR RESPECTIVE BUTTS OVER HERE AN SHOW US THIS!
Probably could have been more tactful... oh well...

Orion
10-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Here's the article. As you know, I have no place to upload movies. But I am currently working on setting up remote FTP to the school's web space (hehe), so hopefully I'll be able to be a bit more helpful soon. Sorry I can't help more:

"On Location with Samus
We take you on the set of the Metroid Prime commercial with new details, storyboards, photos and videos!

October 04, 2002 - Two weeks ago in Sydney, Australia, Nintendo began filming the television commercial for its first-person 3D action-adventure Metroid Prime. The company went on location at an abandoned power factory in Sydney, the same Hollywood hot-spot used to capture the security guard standoff sequence in the Wachowski brothers' directed The Matrix. IGN was on set to see the beginnings of what will undoubtedly be a very dark, memorable television and theatrical spot. Following, we have first-ever storyboard breakdowns, new live-action Samus Aran photographs, and videos designed to take readers through the creative process.
With that, we ask that readers note that everything they are about to see is from an unfinished work. The finalized commercial, with after effects contributions, will look significantly improved over the raw photographs and videos below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going for a dark, gritty, futuristic look similar to the upcoming game itself, Nintendo enlisted the help of stylistic director Alex Proyas (The Crow, Dark City) to make the commercial. To do this, ad agency Leo Burnett and effects house Animal Logic first took a long look at Metroid Prime, picked some of their favorite environments from the first-person adventure, and then designed a series of storyboards for the purpose of re-creating the game universe for television and movie-going audiences. As a result, the spot will seem familiar in many regards to readers who have closely followed the game.

The commercial, a 60-second clip, was shot in 16x9 widescreen format so that it will fit snugly onto silver screens. Proyas used a combination of live action material, blue screen work, wire work, and post production computer graphics additions, a process currently underway. Like Nintendo's Perfect Dark ad for Nintendo 64, the spot will be geared toward an older crowd with a decidedly hip, cutting-edge feel and look. It's likely that Nintendo will try and couple the game with the debut of its Platinum GameCube, a new silver version of its console that is bound to be perceived as far cooler than the original, purple design.

Meet the storyboards. Click on the image to the left to enlarge. As readers will notice in the following videos, the basic outline for the commercial very closely resembles the introduction sequence featured in the game. In it, heroine Samus Aran, resting comfortably inside her ship, drifts slowly through a dark, foreboding outer space until she spots a floating station. The bounty hunter character lands on the adrift object and the camera cuts to a top-down view of the vehicle as Samus exits it. Then the action pans outward, highlighting the full ship and Samus atop it, whereupon she jumps upward and toward the camera. There is some live action and blue-screen work involved in this process, but most of these effects will be added through computer graphics in postproduction, according to Leo Burnett's account director Norm Yustin. "It will be similar to The Matrix kind of computer graphics so that [everything] looks real, or as real as space does look to our eyes," explained Yustin on set.

The camera will then pan around the character and zoom in on the back of her helmet to establish that gamers will actually be viewing the world through the eyes of Samus. At this point, the commercial will cut to various snippets of gameplay scenes from Metroid Prime that show off different areas and fast-paced action sequences.

Mixed in between various footage of gameplay will be several further live action and computer-generated shots of Samus running, flipping, looking around, and even rolling into her trademark morphball. There are also sequences planned in which Samus jacks into a doorway with her arm and unlocks it through a data panel -- a function that is also featured prominently in the game. According to Yustin, there will additionally be clips of computer-generated battles with some of the enemy characters in the title. There will even be a sequence in which Samus must fight against a CG version of the Parasite Queen, the first boss encounter in the game. "

jman2050
10-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Whoa, this article WAS worth it :D . Orion has got the table set, now Warlock has to get the real meat of the story :evil: *coughvideosimagescough*

Artevoi
10-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Sounds great! I can't wait to catch that one on TV.

jman2050
10-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Well, if Warlock would get his butt over her, maybe we could see some early shots. Where is he whan I need him :cry: ?!

Tygore
10-07-2002, 06:38 PM
If Orion wants to send them to me via AIM, I'd be more than hppy to host them.

Demimore
10-10-2002, 06:32 AM
Ign its a good site HEY!!

Lone Wolf
10-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Sounds cool.