PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like the smell of a fresh formatted computer

goKi
10-05-2002, 05:04 AM
Hey guys, incase you have been wondering where i have been the last while, its because i have been preparing my computer for a format. im not quite done yet, just got Windows XP to install (yes, i install win98 first so i can roll back to it when i format, damn XP and its no-dos bullshit). That will be about an hour, then i will see you guys on msn, agn chat, and the boards. Ciao.

Drunken Tiger
10-05-2002, 05:11 AM
I thought MS-DOS did exist on XP....... -_-;;

I wonder what it is that i was using......

goKi
10-05-2002, 06:17 AM
that would be XP's crappy command prompt.

aargh, im really pissed off with windows XP, it keeps changing my network settings to what it wants, not to what they should be, it took me longer to fix that than to install both XP and 98!

Lone Wolf
10-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Why did you have to reformat your computer?

Drunken Tiger
10-05-2002, 07:23 AM
LoL

I lub XP!! :scared:

Lone Wolf
10-05-2002, 07:25 AM
Then Lub away!

goKi
10-05-2002, 07:47 AM
i didnt have to, i just wanted to, because i like my computer running as fast as it can

Mystery-Q
10-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Yup ill be doing a reformat soon myself. Like to keep top performance. I do it about once a year.

Im considering trying linux this time maybe with win 2k on a dual boot.

goKi
10-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Once every 6-8 months for me.

Menokh
10-05-2002, 11:26 AM
I reformat my windows partition every 6 months, again because if I don't windows acts like an 800 pound ape.

Linux on the other hand, if you use a journalling file system, never NEEDS to be reformated. I had to however because I severely fucked up my partition table(x86 partition tables are abit unstable...). I shouldn't ever have to do that again.

theplustwo
10-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I like reformating my hd every once in a while just to get rid 'o' crappy bloatware and stuff. Also, it keeps you up on the process of setting up a new pc, its like building a new pc without the whole 'spending money' part :P

cyberkitten
10-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
Then Lub away!

Lone Wolf, i know inori has warned you about spamming so i'm going to remind you again to please put some thought into your posts and don't hit the "reply" button unless you've got something pertinent to add.

Deviance
10-05-2002, 08:26 PM
I formatted my computer last week and I had to do it again because Xp wouldn't load up and I did too much work for it

AlexMax
10-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
I reformat my windows partition every 6 months, again because if I don't windows acts like an 800 pound ape.

Linux on the other hand, if you use a journalling file system, never NEEDS to be reformated. I had to however because I severely fucked up my partition table(x86 partition tables are abit unstable...). I shouldn't ever have to do that again.

O_o

How the fuck did that happen?

Menokh
10-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
O_o

How the fuck did that happen?

Simple.
I accidently dleted a partition with stuff I wanted still on it(and not backed up) when I was redoing my windows installation(it was on 2 partitions, I wanted only one). So I attempted to rescue the partition(so I could back up that stuff, I hadn't done anythign else except yell 'fuck' when I deleted it), the only way I know of is to use something like Nortan Utilities to edit the MBR, well Nortan Utilities made the partition table unreadable instead of adding he Fat32 partition back in. Windows and Linux would still boot, but there was now no way of editing or adding partitions without wiping the entire disk.