PDA

View Full Version : Damn Linux ISOs

theplustwo
10-04-2002, 11:38 AM
I keep trying to download Mandrake 9 but the download always stops with a 'fatal' message in netpumper, which I was using so I wouldn;t have to download the whole 700+ mb iso in one sitting. Even on my 768k its way to huge. Plus, none of the mirrors on the actual mandrake site work, I was doing it through http://www.linuxiso.org/ but its way to slow, oh well, now that I have a job I can save up and buy a boxed version I guess :sigh:

LordMagus
10-04-2002, 03:34 PM
You should keep trying the mirrors on Mandrake. I believe they change so eventually a working one will show up.
Also, if you plan on buying it, you may have to wait a while, cause it hasn't been released yet.

The Savior
10-04-2002, 05:06 PM
It worked fine for me, and I don't get anywhere near 700KB...

vegeta1215
10-04-2002, 05:17 PM
9.0 just came out, so I'm sure lots of people are downloading them, just give it time.

It also helps if you use a download manager. And be sure to check the md5sum on your files after each download!

Menokh
10-04-2002, 05:23 PM
It worked fine for me.
It took awhile to download the first two ISOs since the mirrors were incredibly busy, but the third one went at a decent speed for me.

Careful though, make sure to do an md5sum on all three ISOs because some non-official mirrors have put up RC3 as the final. I guess thats a good reason why you should use the official mirrors.

As for the boxed version. It will be available at the end of this month, and is probably well worth it since they can throw in some proprietary things like NVIDIA's drivers.

theplustwo
10-05-2002, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I saw on the mandrake site that the 9 version isn't out till the end of this month, which is fine because then I'll have some time to gather resources. I think I might prefer the boxed versions too, since they come with manuals and stuff. RTFM! RTFM! ;)