PDA

View Full Version : BS Zelda - what it's really like

Ganonator
10-04-2002, 03:13 AM
I was surfing the net tonight, and i ran across the SNES rom of BS Zelda. It is nuts! since the overworld is true BS overworld, its 8x8, is fixed for that purpose, and has some enemies and things that are pretty cool. I would use the whirlwind screen in my quest!

If any of you want it, EMAIL me, don't PM me... the link should still work.

I bring up this post because i was wondering if DN would code some of these things in quests - the significant differences is animated doors (3 frame instead of 1 in dungeons) and the font is very different in caves and such.. that's probably hard coded though..

anyway, maybe in the future

Phantom Menace
10-04-2002, 02:55 PM
I had planned on doing the animated doors like they did, but never got around to it. :p

Raichu86
10-04-2002, 05:38 PM
If only animated combos could have loop turned off, that could be done easily. :)

Jigglysaint
10-04-2002, 05:46 PM
We know, you did kind of leave many ideas at the alter, so to speak.

I heard that it isn't possible to turn off animated combos. Actually, the new door combos we have now, if an extra frame was added, it might work, but would be hard to code. As of now you can select a custom door frame, like in zelda 3. I think all that would have to really be done is to have a door sprite that appears after the door disappears. The door diappears, is replaced with a sprite that appears for a sec, then disappears.

ZeldaLord
10-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86
If only animated combos could have loop turned off, that could be done easily. :)

You'll be able to do that with combo cycling, I think.

Praethus
10-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I think combo cycling can stop.

Jigglysaint
10-04-2002, 06:46 PM
but it's buggy as the speed is dependant on the speed of the animated combos.

Cyclone
10-04-2002, 11:29 PM
Actually, all that is needed is a split second showing in between. I mean, you get to see the halfway-open image, and then it slams on you (or vice-versa, opening).

In Link's Awakening, they had this. They also had it in LTTP (where Link froze during the animation). Any ideas from those?

Cyclone

Nick
10-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Animated doors using combo cycling? Been there, done that, buggy. :sweat:

ShadowTiger
10-06-2002, 11:30 AM
I never encountered these bugs. Either that, or I have no idea what you're talking about! :laughing:

MottZilla
10-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Ganonator, I was going to link your the BS-Zelda homepage to check out, however it appears to be down. Bs-Zelda is very neat. And Roto really polished it nicely with his patch.

Ganonator
10-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
Ganonator, I was going to link your the BS-Zelda homepage to check out, however it appears to be down. Bs-Zelda is very neat. And Roto really polished it nicely with his patch.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll just smile and nod anyway.. :D

Cyclone
10-07-2002, 12:39 AM
BTW, Ganonator, please send a link to it to my PM box if you could...

Cyclone

ShadowTiger
10-08-2002, 07:50 AM
I just got the BS rom. What's the deal with those "upgrades" you get along the way? I entered a room in... I think... level 4? and suddenly I had the red candle. (Able to shoot 3 flames at once, instead of our 2.) (and flames open passageways on contact instead of waiting till they're done.) I like the sound that the sword makes when it hits enemies. It's great noise feedback for the player.

MottZilla
10-08-2002, 05:59 PM
At certain times you get certain powerups. Made gameplay more exciting. ;p