PDA

View Full Version : So you think your stealing from the artists huh

DukenukemX
10-02-2002, 10:14 PM
I found a web site that shows a speech Courtney Love gave about piracy over the net and it's a long speech.

http://www.holemusic.com/speech/

It's a very nice article that explains that downloading music isn't stealing from the artists but stealing from the record companies.

Here are some quote's

Recording artists have essentially been giving their music away for free under the old system, so new technology that exposes our music to a larger audience can only be a good thing. Why aren't these companies working with us to create some peace?

There were a billion music downloads last year, but music sales are up. Where's the evidence that downloads hurt business? Downloads are creating more demand.

Right now the only way you can get music is by shelling out $17. In a world where music costs a nickel, an artist can "sell" 100 million copies instead of just a million.

It goes on and on like this for pages. Really good read if your interested.

MottZilla
10-02-2002, 11:08 PM
And this is why you shouldn't feel bad about dling mp3s.

Cyclone
10-03-2002, 12:20 AM
Just read page 1. That's the math that I knew existed for years, but never put into writing myself.

Go Courtney! :D

Cyclone

Beldaran
10-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Well that totally changed my opinion of of MP3 downloading.

[Beldaran goes and downloads his favorite MP3's]

I'm serious, I'm not being sarcastic. She's totally correct.

Cyclone
10-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Yes, she is. I've come to somehow learn that myself over the last couple of years that I've spent following every news article about Napster, since the time it came into light as a "threat" to the industry...which it never was. I think back to the David Bowie Band (or something like that) getting their start as a feature artist on Napster; the record companies later signed the band. Ironic, no?

Courtney is totally correct, and if I ever had the chance to meet her face to face, the first thing I'd do is congratulate her for standing up to the giant. Someone had to do it, and I wondered for a while who would lead the charge. I now have my answer.

On a side note, I might now be tempted to write my own essay on MY view of the music world today. And guess where I'll make some references. And guess who will get the first copy. :D

Cyclone

Beldaran
10-03-2002, 01:13 AM
God damn it, I love this article.

Jesus Christ. I am a musician, releasing my second album independently and I hope people go to MP3.com and download the shit out of it.

Her statements about what it means to be a musician are so true they almost make me cry. Preach it Courtney. Preach it in the face if that sick, ugly, corporate giant.

AlexMax
10-03-2002, 06:55 AM
This is actually the most intelligent thing CL has done in a while. I never did like her music, but now my opinion of her hsa totally changed.

And yes, every word of hers is true. Why do you think I keep downloading MP3's? ^_^

Link 101
10-03-2002, 07:00 AM
I don't download MP3's, but what she said was correct. I feel happy for those who thought it was illegal or whatever can download them without fear.

Drunken Tiger
10-03-2002, 07:18 AM
I dont d/l much either... I just wait till other people d/l it then they can give it to me!! :D:D

AlexMax
10-03-2002, 10:02 AM
What needs to happen is a mass leaving of major artists. If I was an artist, and truely beleived that my music was good enough for me to make money off ot it, I wouldn't sell my soul to the RIAA for a second. The fact that some people are sticking it our is sickening enough.

Cyclone
10-03-2002, 01:46 PM
The only problem that exists is that corporate radio is paid for by the RIAA. What we need are more independent stations that can play whatever they want. They will still play the new songs by popular artists, but they will also play local artists, allowing them a chance to be heard.

If I ran an independent station, one thing I know is that I would not accept money to limit my playlist; I would still play whatever the hell I wanted to, or they could shove their money up their asses. :kawaii:

Cyclone

AlexMax
10-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Thats the ting. If the radio stations dont just play the crap that the RIAA gives them a majority of the time, they wont give them anythin. Money talks, unfortuniatly.