PDA

View Full Version : Baghdad Jim and the Doves

Starkist
10-02-2002, 03:03 AM
Some quotes from US Representitive Jim McDermott, D-Wash, live from Baghdad:

"I think the president would mislead the American people. It would not surprise me if they came with some information that is not provable. First they said it was al Qaeda, then they said it was weapons of mass destruction. Now they're going back and saying it's al Qaeda again."

"The American people are not with one voice on Iraq and they are debating about it like the rest of the world."

"They're setting it up not to work." (Referring to inspections.)

"Sanctions hurt people, not leaders."

"They said they would allow us to go look anywhere we wanted. And until they don't do that, there is no need to do this coercive stuff where you bring in helicopters and armed people and storm buildings."

"You don't start out by putting the gun to their head and saying we're going to shoot you if you blink." (Referring to the US threat of force.)

Some people are just too trusting. Saddam Hussein has been proven to have weapons programs, he has defied UN demands, he has hoarded all the resources of the country causing his people to look like victims of sanctions, he has killed his own people, and he even tried to assassinate a former US President. Now we have Mr. McDermott and his cronies speaking from the heart of Saddam's dark kingdom telling us what a nice guy he is and how we should trust him. Quite frankly I am ashamed to have him as one of my nine congressional representitives. :(

Quotes in response -

"To be questioning the veracity of our own American president is the height of irresponsible. He needs to come home and keep his mouth shut." (Rep. Trent Lott, R-Miss)

"Basically, he's taking Saddam Hussein's lines. They both sound somewhat like spokespersons for the Iraqi government." (Sen. Don Nickles, R-Okla)

"Don't go to Baghdad and do it. You are helping the Iraqi government sell to the Iraqi people their hatred of the United States of America, and it is wrong. And I honestly do not understand it." (Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz)

"It's his right to say anything he wants, no matter how foolish, and he exercised that right." (White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer)

"I frankly just thought it was comical. Four know-nothings going over there to put on a show." (California logger Mike Anderson)

"His (Hussein's) business over the last nine years has been deceit. What I worry about is that there are al-Qaida people residing in Baghdad as we speak... Hussein needs to be deposed, unless he is willing to completely disarm." (Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Wash)

"I don't know all the information the White House has. So I can't judge how imminent they really believe the threat is." (Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash)

This talk of war is very political. Most Republicans support the president, whether out of conviction or because they know their constituents support him. The Democrats are waiting. They know that a lot of their constituents also support war, and if they vote against the president they will hurt their election chances. The same can be said about voting with him, because the most vocal doves are also in the Democrat constituency.

Beldaran
10-02-2002, 03:16 AM
I live in Washington too, and I think McDermott is a peice of shit.

If he gave George Bush half the credibility he gives Saddam Hussien I might consider him an American. Instead, I consider him a worthless bug.

MottZilla
10-02-2002, 03:21 AM
I still support the entire middle east being destroyed and all the oil extracted and then leave the land to rot. That area is nothing but trouble.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
I still support the entire middle east being destroyed and all the oil extracted and then leave the land to rot. That area is nothing but trouble.

agreed.

Starkist
10-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Straight from the donkey's mouth:

"This president is trying to bring to himself all the power to become an emperor — to create Empire America." (Baghdad Jim)

"And what we are dealing with right now in this country is whether we are having a kind of bloodless, silent coup or not." (Baghdad Jim)

"...the most irresponsible thing I've ever heard an American politician say. Sometimes politicians, like everyone else, will blurt out things they don't mean. But it sounds like he has thought about this carefully and really believes that." (Washington State Republican Party Chairman Chris Vance)

Menokh
10-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Whether or not you agree with him is not the point.
There is something Americans used to value, political freedom. It is not un-American to disgree with the government or the administration.

As for the Iraq issue, yes we need to get rid of Saddam Hussein, the sooner the better. But we need to watch our steps, because if we make a wrong move we will anger most of the world, we wouldn't want to make this any more juicy than it already is. And when it comes to UN inspections, this time around they are being set up in such a way that they will fail, Saddam has given the UN unlimited access to all of Irag EXCEPT 8 presidential sites, these sites are sometimes as large as Washingtom DC, imagine what could be hidden in them.

EDIT: 60% of Americans support a war against Iraq of some kind with or without conditions. 40%-ish don't. I'm not counting the undecided people.

Starkist
10-07-2002, 10:33 PM
He isn't just disagreeing, he is disagreeing with supreme irrationality. He isn't being logical and not making sense.

Tonight on local Seattle NBC affiliate KING-5, they interviewed him right after the President's speech. I can't believe they give him credibility.