PDA

View Full Version : So...

Beldaran
10-01-2002, 02:35 PM
are the forums going to go down every month for the last two weeks of that month? Or can this be fixed somehow? Sig limits? Avatar reductions? Fewer hacks? More money from Warlord?:evil:

AlexMax
10-01-2002, 03:02 PM
Warlords server sucks. We need to help him find a new one.

vegeta1215
10-01-2002, 03:20 PM
I was thinking maybe the excessive bandwidth use had to do with the arcade? If that's the case, I'd rather not have the arcade and have the forums up the entire month.

Kirby of Doom
10-01-2002, 04:23 PM
I agree. I don't really use the arcade. This place is for forums anyway.

Fatty Lumpkin
10-01-2002, 09:07 PM
I totally agree. There's plenty of sites with arcades.

matthew986
10-01-2002, 09:09 PM
The arcade was cool for awhile but its lost its luster. And has Nintendo stopped trying to shut AGN down?

teddyboy420
10-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Yeah but the arcade is a cool place to go for some friendly competition.

But, if I had a choice of being able to play breakout here, or have the forums up all month...

Then the arcade has to go (IF that is the cause of the bandwith limit being exceeded)

Lone Wolf
10-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Yea get rid of the arcade! And Beldaran.:tongue:

Mr. 207
10-01-2002, 09:48 PM
WHy would we get rid of the arcade? That is a ridiculous idea, and I am now officially veto'ing it. It will NOT happen, the arcade says. So sayeth Mr207.

And for all of you who OBVIOUSLY do NOT pay attention, this problem has been occuring before the arcade was added, so therefore it is NOT the arcades fault.

vegeta1215
10-01-2002, 11:33 PM
I merely suggested it because I thought the arcade may have contributed to the consumption of AGN's bandwidth, possibly causing the "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" thing we got.

Don't get me wrong, I think the arcade is awesome, but if I had to choose, I'd rather take the forums instead.

Drunken Tiger
10-02-2002, 05:38 AM
Same here... I just hope it doesnt go down anytime soon.

Jemsee
10-02-2002, 07:10 AM
The arcade is a cool concept but for real, they are not worth loosing the whole board. Maybe (if they are the cause) they could be disabled during the week and turned back on over weekends, that way they would still be there for thouse that enjoy the compatition but on a limited basis.

I kind of understand the idea behind bandwidth but still a little confused on just what eats it up.
When I log onto AGN, does that use up BW?
Does it matter how long I'm logged on, does time on-line eat it up?
Does it ues BW every time I post, or edit a post?
How much does a common post of say 100 to 200 letters use up?
I under stand pics don't use up anymore than the length of there link, right?
So does a longer post use up more, or are all posts created equal?
Anyone know the answers to these?
Can you understand the ramblings of a crazy old man that has not gone to bed and gotten his beauty sleep?
Oh, one last question, is there some way to find out how much BW you start with and then keep a running tally, like a meter of full and empty? Like if we start off with 4gigs at the begining of a month (that's just a # off the top of my head, I'v no idea what WL gets for BW) Where are we at day 15? Have we used half? More / less? It would be interesting to know how fast we use it up and when?

The Savior
10-02-2002, 08:02 AM
The answer to all your questions is yes, Jemsee.

Originally posted by Lone Wolf
Yea get rid of the arcade! And Beldaran.:tongue:

:cries: I couldn't live in a world without Beldaran!

AtmaWeapon
10-02-2002, 08:40 AM
The arcade uses up less bandwidth than the search feature, I imagine, so think on that for a while.

Jemsee:
I'm not exactly sure about how bandwidth works, but I'll try and answer your questions with how I understand bandwidth is. Bandwidth is a messed up term and can mean 3 or 4 different things, I hope I get it right.

Bandwidth, as used by web hosts, is usually in the form of a transfer limit. When you connect to a server and get ANY data, you just used bandwidth. Doesn't matter what kind of data, if it comes from the server it is bandwidth.

Here's your questions:
When I log onto AGN, does that use up BW?
Yes, it uses as much bandwidth as the filesize of the main page + images.

Does it matter how long I'm logged on, does time on-line eat it up?
I'm not sure about that; sometimes people call their internet speed bandwidth, and that is most definitely data/time. I don't know this one.

Does it ues BW every time I post, or edit a post?
Yes, you have to recieve data from AGN, so it uses up bandwidth.

How much does a common post of say 100 to 200 letters use up?
I'm not sure if sending bandwidth matters, but you use up whatever the filesize of the post page, the "you just posted" page, and the new page containing that post + all images.

I understand pics don't use up anymore than the length of there link, right?
If they are linked from another server, yes. If they reside on AGN's server, they use up the bandwidth of the filesize of the image. Hence the controversy with attachments. One 300k file viewed by 200 members takes up 60MB of bandwidth.

So does a longer post use up more, or are all posts created equal?
A longer post takes up slightly more bandwidth, but only by a little. Each character you type is 1 byte, so if you type 1024 characters, that's 1k. Another 1024 characters makes it 2k. So, longer posts don't really cause significant gains in bandwidth.

I hope I was right about everything... I'd hate to look a fool.

Darunia
10-02-2002, 09:55 AM
If AGN goes down this month end I will not be able of do my (useless) 1 year topìc... :laughing:

Beldaran
10-02-2002, 12:32 PM
You guys will never get rid of me. I'm WAY too annoying and persistent.

Speaking of which, its my turn to do a photoshop competition. hmmm....

Jemsee
10-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the response AtmaWeapon.
So with these thoughts in mind, again is there anyway bandwidth can be mettered? Anyway to see where it all goes and when?
I mean if a common post is only 1 or 2k that is a lot of posts to equal a gig, and I'm shure we get several gigs a month.
I just wounder what part of the boards uses the most of the BW allotment.