PDA

View Full Version : The day has arrived...

jman2050
09-27-2002, 04:30 PM
to announce my new quest, ROyal hearts. I won't repeat what I posted at AZC. Instead, I'll just give you a link where you can find all the info

http://forums.zelda-gaming.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=544

Expect great things from me.

MottZilla
09-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Hm, multiquest files. Sounds fun.

Menokh
09-27-2002, 05:10 PM
I can't figure out for the life of me how a multi-file system could possibly work.

Other than that it sounds interesting.
I will make a point to try the demo when it is out.

MottZilla
09-27-2002, 05:14 PM
It easy. You create your quest, then when you use save as to make the 2nd file, it will have the same number so you can swap in it inplace of the first file. The rest is just designing your quest to work with swapping. The coolest thing about the idea is then you could have 2 different characters.

jman2050
09-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Basically, I have attempted to analyze exactly what the save files save, and try to make them compatible. For example, in rroms in file 1 where items are collected, I would have an invisible and inaccesible misc item in file 2. Not sure if that'll work but hey, i'll find a way.

EDIT - Yeah, what Mott said. It's just that I have to pay VERY close attention to where I put permanent secrets, bombable doors, etc. so I can design my quest accordingly. Besides, it will make it more interesting, by triggering a secret flag in file 1 you can affect a place in file 2. Trust me, I have most of these compatibility issues planned out, and hopefully I can fully realize my vision when it's released. It will take a while though, so don't expect a quick demo.

MottZilla
09-27-2002, 05:16 PM
I have idea what you are saying. Misc items last I checked did absolutely nothing.

jman2050
09-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Think of it this way (I'm not sure if this is the case but evience seems to indicate it): There is a key in file 1 that you have to get later in the game. however, the equivalent room in file 2 has no items. Save the game in file 2, and it will overwrite the item data in file 1 with the item data of file 2, thus making that nkey disappear. Now if there was a misc item in there, it would act as a dummy item to keep item information retainable (since I also think the save file only registers if an item is gone or not, not what item it is). Correct me if I'm wrong, I have yet to test this. In fact, i will be GLAD if I'm wrong, since that will make one less thing to worry about.

Teilyr
09-27-2002, 06:04 PM
What I can't figure out is how you plan to prevent people from starting on the 2nd quest file..

jman2050
09-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Please, it's not like its going to be a linear transistion. Let's just say you'll need a certain item to advance further.

ZeldaLord
09-27-2002, 06:10 PM
This seems interesting, I look forward to a demo.

Teilyr
09-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Well damn jman.. No need to insult me. The idea of a quest that needs more than 1 file to be completed is abit much for me... Wau too much time in le chair. But DoY fans should like it.

Raichu86
09-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Your link is a bit outdated jman. :lol: I hate how vB does latest post links.

http://forums.zelda-gaming.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=544

jman2050
09-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Sorry Teilyr, I didn't mean it that way. Right now I'm testing out a few tricks, for example a technique for putting signs and entrances on the same screen (don't know if it's been thought up of yet). There a couple of other things to expect also. Man, i've been rambling, I should get to work (at least after my bro is done :sweat: ).

Raichu86
09-27-2002, 07:41 PM
If your trick to put signs and warps on the same screen has anything to do with the 3-stair warp, it's been thought up. :)

ZeldaLord
10-01-2002, 02:30 PM
It's also been thought up if it has anything to do with secrets.

jman2050
10-01-2002, 06:14 PM
No and no. It's actually quite simple, and can only be done with betas with both pits and convey tiles... This technique can also be used for branching paths and such.