PDA

View Full Version : What? Give me a break

Beldaran
09-26-2002, 03:17 AM
All right, so I'm watching Star Trek Voyager (because I'm a nerd) and I'm thinking about how their trapped in space.

So here is this crew of highly educated and talented individuals from across the galaxy, flying around in the most technilogically sophisticated ship ever built, and they can't make a damn phone call and get some directions?

I mean come on!

God, we have cell phones here in our time that have internet connections via satelite. Shit, I'm sure a space ship in the year 2380 would have something that kicks more ass than a crappy verizon wireless connection.

It's such a glaring, idiot plot flaw.:mad:

slothman
09-26-2002, 05:00 AM
They can but the signal only goes so fast. Our radio signals only go the speed "c" their's go about 10000 times faster. That still takes a while to go 50,000 light-years though.

GuitarmanTim
09-26-2002, 06:09 AM
Yes, obviously not a true ST watcher. The thing is: they know very well how to get home BUT, it's such a long way from where they are that going there at top-speed would still take a couple of hundred years. But they do actually know in which way to go, it just that it's no use, you see?

and common, Borgs, holograms and Vulcans are not the most realistic creatures, ya think it's meant to be a true story? :)

Lone Wolf
09-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
All right, so I'm watching Star Trek Voyager (because I'm a nerd)

:lol: that alone is funny.

Ich
09-26-2002, 09:37 AM
I haven't seen any Star Trek episodes in a while. Hmm...

*Goes through old VHS tapes stacked on the shelf, but only finds Power Rangers episodes*

Shadowblazer
09-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Voyager is the worst Star Trek series ever. That said though, if you're going to pick it apart, at least have the decency to actually pick apart the actual flaws. Things like their making a "hole" in the Event Horizon of a Black Hole or transforming into lizards after travelling at infinite speed. The fact that they're 70 million light years from home and can't get real-time communications to Earth is actually one of the things that makes sense. I'd like to see how well your cell phone would work on Mars, let alone on the other side of the galaxy. Hell, my cell phone doesn't even work in a number of locations in North Carolina ;)

Again, not defending Voyager. It sucks ass. But your claim that they should be able to communicate with Earth from where they are, simply because we can communicate with folks on the other side of the planet today (with the aid of a network of satellites that had to be put there beforehand in order to make the system work), defies all logic.

By the way, as the series goes on and they manage to get closer and closer to home, and put a little bit of work toward getting communications established (both on Voyager's side and Starfleet's), they actually get to the point where they do get to talk to the people back home.

Jemsee
09-26-2002, 10:21 AM
If Star Trek, STTNG, DS9, and Voyager are the future in chronological order, then the new show Enterprise is a history of the future.

A history of the future...get it?...kind of like a paradox...

*never mind*

Dark_Xero
09-26-2002, 10:33 AM
I thought Voyager was great. They are in a whole different quadrent and even with all their technology, it would take many years to send a sub-space message over 50,000,000 lightyears. How they get back home is very interesting, but kinda wierd. The message can only go so fast, and it's unlikly that StarFleet would even recieve it. But imagine being on a starship, millions of lightyears from home, in this unexplored place. It's like being in the forest, with no comunication and deadly things al around you.

Verman
09-26-2002, 11:29 AM
Blah, The only real star trek series is the original...

William Shatner was the bomb!

Most fun to watch in my way of thinking. So badly done but yet..So cool...

TNG was good, but not even 50% of what the original was

Beldaran
09-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Well, I freely admit that I'm not a true voyager watcher. I didn't know about all that.

I've seen every single DS9 and NG episode, but I never got into Voyager because I just thought it was too politically correct. However, I now enjoy watching the show. Tuvok is my favorite character. Actually, Seven of 9 is my favorite too because she is SO HOT.

Jemsee
09-26-2002, 12:14 PM
7 is hot.
She relly brought the show back to life in the end.
Personlay I liked Voyager better than DS9, but NG is my favorite.
What is your opinnion of the new one Enterprise?
So far it's good but not as good as NG.

Beldaran
09-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately I don't have cable, and channel 11 won't come in on my poor little antenna...so I've never seen Enterprise.:(

deathbyhokie
09-26-2002, 01:11 PM
i have the maxim with jerri ryan(7 of 9) in it. and she is incredibly hot. she's on boston public too.

MottZilla
09-26-2002, 04:01 PM
The new series, Enterprise, or whatever, sucks ass. I saw like a bit of it, and apparently it happens after the first contact movie (the past part). I've seen quite a bit of star trek. It's pretty lame in my opinion.

If you have all the technology they had, there would be pimps running holodecks or some shit. There would be the best video game ever. Running around space like idiots... wow, that's just what I'd want to do...

The idea of it all is really stupid. All those characters have issues.

EWild
09-26-2002, 04:07 PM
Enterprise is the first Star Trek, in chronological order. Before the prime directive, and before warp 9. It's good, but I missed the season premire. :(

Teilyr
09-26-2002, 07:23 PM
NG will always kick ass.. That and Voyager were the main fan faves, for some reason. Hell, they're STILL making movies with the NG cast. (Nemesis) Enterprise sucks. Scott Bakula was only good on Quantum Leap, in my opinion. DS9 was ok, but you can tell that they were struggling for a storyline through alot of parts.

Never a big fan of the original for some reason.. :shrug:

As far as the realism of Voyager.. Well honestly, if you spend that much time picking at every single aspect of a television show, you might want to find a better way to spend your free time. Banging your head against a wall comes to mind...

Paradox
09-26-2002, 07:24 PM
you're all a bunch of trekkies. i've only watched about a half-dozen episodes. don't even remember what series they were from lol.

Teilyr
09-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Damn straight, biatch. Proud to be a trekkie too. I don't flip out and scream if I miss a show/movie, but I do enjoy watching it.