PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for the mormans...

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Been doing some studyin of the book of morman, what? Themoreone knows, the more powerfull he is. By undersanding others, one can better understand himself...

No, I'vegot a couple diferent books, from different years.

Now, I mean no offense, just afew questions to satisfy my cuirousity...

1 If the Book of Mormon is true, why do Indians fail to turn white when they become Mormons? (2 Nephi 30:6, prior to the 1981 revision).

2 If the Book of Mormon is true, then why has the Mormon church changed it? Examples are: 1 Nephi 11:21; 19:20; 20:1 and Alma 29:4. Compare these with the original Book of Mormon. (Gerald and Sandra Tanner have counted 3913 changes in the book of Mormon, excluding punctuation changes.)

3 How did Joseph Smith carry home the golden plates of the Book of Mormon, and how did the witnesses lift them so easily? (They weighed about 230 lbs. Gold, with a density of 19.3 weighs 1204.7 lbs. per cubic foot. The plates were 7" x 8" by about 6". See Articles of Faith, by Talmage, page 262, 34th ed.)

4 If Moroni devoutly practiced the Mormon Gospel, why is he an angel now rather than a God? (Doc. & Cov. 132:17,37)

5 Why do Mormons emphasize part of the Word of Wisdom and ignore the part forbidding the eating of meat except in winter, cold or famine? (Doc. & Cov. 89:12,13).

6 Why did the Nauvoo House not stand forever and ever? (Doc. & Cov. 124:56-60).

7 If Jesus was conceived as a result of a physical union between God and Mary, how was Jesus born of a virgin? (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 50).

8 How did Nephi with a few men on a new continent build a temple like Solomon's while Solomon needed 163,300 workmen and seven years to build his temple? (1 Kings 5:13-18 and 2 Nephi 5:15-17).

9 Why was Joseph Smith still preaching against polygamy in October 1843 after he got his revelation in July 1843 commanding the practice of polygamy? (Doc. & Cov. 132; and History of the Church Vol. 6, page 46, or Teachings of the Prophet, page 324).

10 God rejected the fig leaf aprons which Adam and Eve made (Gen. 3:21). Why do Mormons memorialize the fall by using fig leaf aprons in the secret temple ceremonies?

Again, I mean no offence. I've just come to some of these, and found others. Any explanation would help me further my studies...

Jigglysaint
09-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Well, first of all I will be using various sites to answer questions since many of them are common questions.

The first site, that has answers to frequently asked questions is this: http://www.mormonhaven.com/harhav.htm

Also, I will be answering/providing links in the order that I find them so bear with me.

#8 http://www.mormonhaven.com/scriptur.htm#3

#1 http://www.mormonhaven.com/scriptur.htm#10

#5 http://www.mormonhaven.com/doctrine.htm#3

#9 http://www.mormonhaven.com/polygamy.htm#1

(forgive these links but I feel that it's better for us to link to answers than myself trying to explain them myself as I do have a habit of messing things up sometimes. Also, many of your questions have allready been answered so I don't want to dtruggle to explain what has allready been explained.)

#3 http://www.mormonhaven.com/scriptur.htm#18

#4 http://www.mormonhaven.com/nature.htm#15

As for the Tanners, they are enemies of the Church.

http://www.mormonfortress.com/who1.html Anyway, they have produced many crittisims which have been rebutted. I don't mean to attack them but I would take what they say with a grain of salt. As for some of the other answers, I'll find them when I can.

#6 Ever been to Navoo? I hear a new temple just opened up that looks like the origional. I'll try to find an aritcle soon.

By the way, it's not mormans it's mormons and it's not even that it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Just clearing things up there.

One more thing, I was in a really bad mood when I came home tonight, this thread(and the kill pokemon thread) has helped calm be down. I'm glad I can deal with people here in a calm, rational manner instead of getting my panties in a knot.

stormwatcheagle
09-25-2002, 11:06 PM
mormons seem more like morons from the questiuns you posted. But what do I know?

Beldaran
09-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
mormons seem more like morons from the questiuns you posted. But what do I know?

I think people generally refer to those who mock the religious beliefs of others as "asswipes".:eyebrow:

Jemsee
09-25-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
One more thing, I was in a really bad mood when I came home tonight, this thread(and the kill pokemon thread) has helped calm be down. I'm glad I can deal with people here in a calm, rational manner instead of getting my panties in a knot.

You wear panties?
What is your favorite color of pantie?
I like white. But purple on a night out.
:D
*J/K folks, lighten the mood.* :shocking:

Some of these links are interesting.

stormwatcheagle
09-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
I think people generally refer to those who mock the religious beliefs of others as "asswipes".:eyebrow:
ROFLMFASADOAHA

Jigglysaint
09-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Hm I get the first part, but what does the SADOAHA mean?

Menokh
09-26-2002, 12:33 AM
I would like a bit of clarification.

Does the Book of Mormon say that all Native Americans came from this tribe of people? And in what year did they come over here according the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

Phantom Menace
09-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Ibis_god_of_Magicks, I couldn't help but notice the difference in writing styles between your intro and your questions. Have you really read all those sources or did you get that list from somewhere? I've seen a similar list before, so I was just wondering...

AtmaWeapon
09-26-2002, 09:48 AM
I always think it's funny when someone comes up with a list of questions for a religion like that. It is funny to me because the person who compiled the list is actually silly enough to think that they are going to topple an order that has been around for hundreds of years and had hundreds of years to develop the answers to questions like that.

The motive behind such actions is always religiously motivated. A mormon wouldn't have asked these questions; only someone who is trying to convers a mormon from one faith to another would come up with such things.

Why the crap do non-Christians complain about all the pressure they feel from Christians? All I've ever seen on this forum is pressure from non-Christians to try and make us revoke our religion because, in your eyes, it is a sham. Well, to some of us, it is a way of life. I remember how excited Jigglysaint was when he posted about joining the church. Frequently, he's expressed happiness over his decision. Obviously, Jiggly is happy with his religion and feels like he was miserable beforehand. WHY THE CRAP IS IT YOUR MOTIVE TO MAKE HIM RETURN TO WHAT HE THINKS IS MISERY???? Did you even think about what you were doing? No, you didn't. But if I had come up with some Bible verses and acted like I was all high and mighty because "I STUCK IT TO YOU NON-BELIEVERS", you would have flamed me off the forum.

And, you haven't been reading the Book of "Morman" very hard, have you? If you had, you would know it's spelled "Mormon". I'm with Phantom Menace. I'd be willing to bet what happened is you found the list of questions and decided to fabricate the "studying" excuse to justify it. Too bad you didn't spend 15 seconds to even look at a Book of Mormon to see how it was spelled.

Jigglysaint
09-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Actually, Ibis did mention that many of those questions did come from what he found off the net. It's funny that the conclusion that PM came to was almost exactly what I wrote, but I later omitted since you did say you found some answers.

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
I always think it's funny when someone comes up with a list of questions for a religion like that. It is funny to me because the person who compiled the list is actually silly enough to think that they are going to topple an order that has been around for hundreds of years and had hundreds of years to develop the answers to questions like that.

Well, no. I was not trying to topple an age old church. Or make it look stupid in anyway. Every religion has a few contratadictions, and I believe it is important to find answers or at least explenations for these contradictions.

PM, while I have read the book of morman, and I myself found some of the questions, I did not write that list. When I found that list a few weeks back, I thought it sounded better than anything I could write. It was good and tothe point. So, i've ben looking arond for some other evidence and what not, and then posted the list here.

And Jigglysaint, I thank you the most. One, for not being offended, I've tryed talking to some mormans here IRL and it didn'tg to well. You've helped me out a long way to understanding the mormans. I thank you again.

And stormwatcheagle, you know nothing.

-Ibis

AtmaWeapon
09-26-2002, 12:41 PM
You still can't spell Mormon for some reason that eludes me. Do an "extensive study" of the first page with the title on it.

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
You still can't spell Mormon for some reason that eludes me. Do an "extensive study" of the first page with the title on it.
I never once said I could spell.

Menokh
09-26-2002, 03:03 PM
As for a Mormon wouldn't ask those questions.
Perhaps they should.
It seems reasonable to me that followers of any religion should look at what their religion considers to be truth and look for problems in it and find answers to those problems if at all possible. If you believe the Bible or Book of Mormon as literal truth, then I firmly believe you should try and justify every contridiction for yourself.

I hold this belief since blind faith can lead to horrible things. If you have looked at your faith and questioned many aspects of it and you still believe it, then more power to you.

Starkist
09-26-2002, 03:07 PM
I agree with Menokh. If you don't question anything then chances are you don't know anything about your own faith. Questions lead to study which leads to answers. Then when people ask you why you believe something, you can answer.

Jigglysaint
09-26-2002, 04:44 PM
I also agree. I do believe that a person should take some time and realise just what they believe. I have asked some questions lately about the nature of Joseph Smith. I was reading his history and I wondered if someone could argue that because he seemed to be alone a lot, that he didn't just imagine all of this to get attention, or just to feel importent. If someone doesn't ask questions, they will never know. I would rather find out what really happened than to believe a lie that I make through my own misunderstanding.