PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm scared, someone make me feel better...

moocow
09-24-2002, 10:33 PM
OKAY... I start school tomorrow, as in college, and I'm really scared. I'm not going to know ANYBODY, and I'm gonna flip out, and... I'm scared. I don't know where any of my classes are because I missed orientation. I don't have any of my books yet, because I have yet to get my loan check in the mail, and I don't know what books I need and I'm scared.

I'm really scared.

really really scared.......:scared: :scared:

Jemsee
09-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Ok, I'd be scared too if I missed orientation.
Here's what you do, or at least what I would do.
Go in early, or late your preference, I'd go early find the student counselor. If he/she is a decent counselor after you unload your trouble on him/her they will help you find the classes and help you with your books.
You might try the office, sometimes there are people there that can help but your best bet is the student counselor, that is what they are there for.

cyberkitten
09-24-2002, 10:43 PM
my poor cow...
don't worry..we'll all be waiting here for you when you get back. no matter how scary it is, you've got something they don't....all of us! and we wub j00!

deathbyhokie
09-24-2002, 10:57 PM
yo'll be fine moocow. i came out here to tech, 4 hours away from home, and knew no one. istill don't fully know my roommate. but i met several guys from the hall. and you'll meet ppl in classes too. u'll be fine. once you get started it's harder to stop than to keep going. don't worry

moocow
09-24-2002, 10:58 PM
*grin*

I'm tryin to lighten up... I have a good idea as to what bulding my classes are in, so I think I'll be able to find them okay, just dunno bout my book syet.

The descriptions for my two computer classes seem exciting, though. *sarcastic grin*

3012 Computers for Engineering Technicians
3 credit hours, 5 contact hours (2 hours lecture and 3 hours lab)
This course introduces the student to PC hardware and system software including recent versions of the DOS and Windows operating systems. Laboratory exercises emphasize basic DOS commands, installing and using many features of Windows, cutomizing systems, file management, and loading applications software. The student is also introduced to system troubleshooting, installing printers and other basic hardware, virus protection, and the internet. This course is intended as a basic computer literacy course.

3702 CAD/Drawing for Engineering Technology
4 credit hours, 6 contact hours (2 hours lecture, 4 hours lab)
This is a beginning course in learning techniques to develope and document ideas through freehand drawing and CAD. Emphasis is on the deveopment of sketching techniques, multi-view and isometric drawings, dimentioning, and blueprint reading.

The first class sounds like a snooze, the second one isn't too bad sounding, but that class is from 9 am -2:50 pm on a Saturday morning...

Lone Wolf
09-24-2002, 11:00 PM
You'll be ok Moocow. College is just like normal school but with more freedom. Take advantage of it. heh heh heh

Jigglysaint
09-24-2002, 11:02 PM
After 4 years of college, I only have like 3 friends, so assuming that you are way more socially proficient than I, you should be okay. College is tough, but I think that if you just take it a day at a time, things will be okay.

deathbyhokie
09-24-2002, 11:05 PM
ouch on the second. around here, CAD labs are bad news. long hours in the lab. but weare like the ninth best school in the country for Arch. what kinda engineering are you doing?

Lilith
09-24-2002, 11:06 PM
The first day of school always sucks. This year I was late, the batteries in my CD player (favorite back-to-school CD inside) ran out, I sweat off all my makeup within 20 minutes, I didn't have any friends in my classes, and I repeatedly ran into a boy I would gladly forget forever if given the choice.

But everything was okay, and the next day was better ^_^

moocow
09-24-2002, 11:15 PM
I'm majoring in Digital Media Deisgn, deathbyhokie

Lilith, I hope I have a better first day than that!!!

obi
09-25-2002, 02:51 AM
Heh, I started college in august. Heh, one hectic first day, darting around the college here and there and then some form of 'treasure hunt' to get to know the lie of the campus. Much fun and sorts, especially the games we played to leanr peoples names :D

Good luck to you moocow, Have a happy first day! :)

inori
09-25-2002, 04:50 AM
Don't worry... people are always late to classes on the first day. You won't be the only one searching for rooms. We're a month into classes already, and one of my students still walked in half an hour late today. :kawaii:

(BTW, walking into class half an hour late is something you should avoid doing on a regular basis. ;) )

Mander
09-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Moo relax, take a deep breath and just be yourself. Everyone will luv you just like we do.

Cyclone
09-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Heh...our first day (second year of program, though), some people were greeted as they walked into the room with, "The class starts at n (class start time). Please be here by then."

:shrug:

Cyclone

moocow
09-25-2002, 08:58 PM
First day was a breeze... loved it..

deathbyhokie
09-25-2002, 09:13 PM
an you were all scared

stormwatcheagle
09-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, if you'll remember back to high school, it sucked. Umm, that's no good. I just started high school, and it sucks. No, wait. I'm in the same boat as you. High school sucks.

Mak-X
09-26-2002, 12:24 AM
RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN YOU'VE ONLY GONE FOR 1 DAY OR YOU'LL HAVE TO GO BACK! RUN BEFORE ITS TOOOOOOO LAATEEE!!

I'm going to community college. It was a lot like High School with the way the rooms were, but more stricter or rather loose in that you have all the responsibility. And your not a kid anymore. I went to the orientation, and before school started I walked around to all my classes so I knew where to go. I was afraid I wouldn't have time to walk from one building to another in 5min but they were closer than I thought (some classes are in one building, some in the other).

Shadowblazer
09-26-2002, 10:17 AM
/hug moocow

You'll get over it, trust me. WCU was the biggest, most terrifying place I'd ever been to when I first got here. Now it's home ;)