PDA

View Full Version : Windows go geh!

obi
09-24-2002, 12:25 PM
Heh, my CD drive is not working, I run the driver update, it sits there updating, or at least seaching, for 10 miniutes now, it has stopped searching s the window is idle, it's still up now.
The cancel button don't work, and the task manager can't shut it down as it doesn't show up. heh, I guess I'll never get to use CD's on that CD-drive again....

EDIT _ SHOOT! THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A NEW THREAD!

inori
09-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Split. Make sure of which button you push. :kawaii:

obi
09-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks Inori! I'll be more carefull next time! :)

EDIT - I STILL CAN'T GET RID OF THE SODDING DRIVER UPDATE CRAP!:mad:

AlexMax
09-24-2002, 01:53 PM
I will refarin from commenting.

(No, not because he's using Windows, but the probelm with the CD ROM might be one of many things, some not Windows related. What? What the FUCK did you think I was gonna say? Are you REALLY that shallow? Well sure, maybe the drive update isn't working right, but how do I know that it's not something wrong with the CD-ROM making it lock up? WHAT? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?!?!?!?!? AHHHHH!!!!!!!!111111111)

Hermit
09-24-2002, 01:56 PM
uh... that's an easy one.

2 things:

1) Head to Control Panel -> System. Click on your CD-drive, remove the sucker, reboot. If this doesn't fix it, go to step 2...

2) Open your tower and unplug your CD drive (both the power cable and the gray strip). Boot your computer, let it recognize that you do not have a CD drive. Shut down your computer, plug your CD drive back in (both the power cord and the gray strip). Boot up your computer again, it should work fine now.

Menokh
09-24-2002, 02:25 PM
If you got the new drivers through Windows Update, then I'm not surprised.
That happenned to me before, only I could cancel the task.

All I can say is, if it isn't broken don't fix it. Was there anything wrong with the old drivers?

inori
09-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
I will refarin from commenting.

(No, not because he's using Windows, but the probelm with the CD ROM might be one of many things, some not Windows related. What? What the FUCK did you think I was gonna say? Are you REALLY that shallow? Well sure, maybe the drive update isn't working right, but how do I know that it's not something wrong with the CD-ROM making it lock up? WHAT? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?!?!?!?!? AHHHHH!!!!!!!!111111111)

Alex-kun, I think you need to relax a little bit... :kawaii:

Axel
09-24-2002, 03:35 PM
mine did that, turns out all I had to do was restart the computer.

obi
09-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Well I know restarting don't work, and I can't really get drivers for it as it is a 'STandard' 40 speed CDROM.

Was there anything wrong with the old drivers?

I have service pack one installed, and I had the problem before then, you see, that little box has gone now, but my CD-Drive still refuses to spin-up CD's - and on the rare occasion it does spin up the CD, it will soon stop and ignore it. Other CD-Drives work in my PC, I had my bro's DVD-drive in there to install XP. Sounds like some sort of power problem (?)

Originally posted by Hermit
uh... that's an easy one.

2 things:

1) Head to Control Panel -> System. Click on your CD-drive, remove the sucker, reboot. If this doesn't fix it, go to step 2...

2) Open your tower and unplug your CD drive (both the power cable and the gray strip). Boot your computer, let it recognize that you do not have a CD drive. Shut down your computer, plug your CD drive back in (both the power cord and the gray strip). Boot up your computer again, it should work fine now.

Thats so crazy, it might just work! But it will have to wait until morning....

Hermit
09-24-2002, 09:07 PM
What's so crazy about it ? :eyebrow:

Cyclone
09-24-2002, 09:22 PM
It sounds rather natural to me. If the computer notes there is no drive, it won't load the drive. Just like it notes when there is no mouse upon booting...

Cyclone

Verbatim
09-24-2002, 09:25 PM
If Windows says it's installed correctly but things aren't spinning up, I expect it means you've got problems with your hardware...I had a CD-rom which went bad on me...it started out by being picky about which music CDs it would play, gradually got worse, and eventually had to be replaced...fortunately it was still under warranty from the local shop that put that computer together for me, so I got it replaced for free.

No harm in trying Hermit's advice, though.

If you think it is a problem with your CD-rom drive, you could check it by putting it into your brother's computer, and see if it works on his.

obi
09-25-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Hermit
What's so crazy about it ? :eyebrow:

You know what I mean Hermit! :)

Hermit
09-25-2002, 03:25 AM
The idea behind it is very simple. By disconnecting or removing your CR Drive, you basically take it out of the boot log, meaning all drivers for it are wiped out of the boot process. Once Windows boots up again, it will automatically detect it as "New Hardware" and give it a fresh set of drivers to run on (usually generic standard windows drivers depending on what your system driver layout is). Or, if you have a disc with the drivers you can re-install those fresh.

Think of it as... *reformatting your CD Drive*... so to speak ;)

obi
09-25-2002, 06:52 AM
yep, I would never have thought of it like that, so thank you Hermit!