PDA

View Full Version : Alas. [hangs head]

Beldaran
09-23-2002, 09:45 PM
I need to drop my math and computer science classes. It is just taking WAY too much of my time. I need to work more on my album, my band's album, Rick's album (long story) and finish writing my science fiction novel.

Majoring in CS is like playing another instrument. It requires dedication, practice, and TIME. Hats off to those who do it. I'm spending my effort on music because its what I started with and I'm better at it.

deathbyhokie
09-23-2002, 09:50 PM
my roommie's doing CS. actually architecture, what i'm considering, is really time consuming. those ppl spend 60+ non class hours in the lab. i don't know if i can stand that. i'll go to a meeting on thursday night, we'll get out at 11, and the arch. guys go straight to lab. it's insane

Fade to Black
09-23-2002, 09:57 PM
I say stick with the CS all the way though, just for backup. You as a good musician should know just as well as anyone how hard it is to make it on music money...

C-Dawg
09-23-2002, 09:59 PM
You could drop the CS major and get a minor in cocksuckery. It's easier, and pays just about as much if you get the right clientelle.

-C

Cyclone
09-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Beldaran, you aren't the first to set CS aside. Before you, I faced the reality that the crap my college flings for such a program is beyond comprehension...

And, er, C-Dawg...I somehow doubt that he'll do that. :p

Cyclone

Lone Wolf
09-23-2002, 11:29 PM
Well Goodluck with the band, but I don't know if dropping Math and computers is the best idea.

Cyclone
09-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Math is a necessity. Computers the way I was expected to learn them isn't. (And in my case, lots of programming and expectation to memorize every internal component of one of the damn things...)

Cyclone

Beldaran
09-24-2002, 12:59 AM
I'm sorry, I think perhaps some of you don't understand. I am a fabulous musician. I will be able to make plenty of money as a musician. I have already been offerend a chance to make $1000 a month just playing on Friday nights. So a college degree that ISN'T in computers is just fine. It's still a college degree.

Fade to Black
09-24-2002, 01:08 AM
Well hell Belderan, why are you even hanging your head? 1000 bucks a month? Geezuz...more I made in a year at that damn theater. I did believe that you were a faboulus musician, but even then, its still hard to find steady jobs with it ya know? Sometimes you have work, sometimes you don't, despite your abilities.

vegeta1215
09-24-2002, 01:16 AM
I'm a CS major! I already finished my Math classes, so all that's left is some 300 and 400 level CS classes, and I'm finished!

My classes this semester aren't bad. I have Systems Software (bash and perl scripting included), and Software Dev 1. Next semester is gonna be the doosy though, Operating Systems, Software Dev 2, and Programming Languages.

Beldaran
09-24-2002, 01:18 AM
Congratulations Vegeta! Good luck with your last batch of classes.:)

vegeta1215
09-24-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks!

Well, those aren't really my last. I still need 3 upper level CS classes after those bunch. It sucks though cause our CS department is pretty new, and the classes I'll need aren't offered every semester. Chances are I'll be here alot longer than I'd hoped. Oh well, it would've been nice to graduate in only 3 years.

Still, I have no clue what I wanna do with computers. Preferably something with Linux or Unix, I'd hate to work with Windows for my job.

Cyclone
09-24-2002, 07:59 AM
I can see the first day in your new job:

Boss: Here is where you'll be working.
You: Wait a minute...is that Windows XP?
Boss: Why, yes...
You: NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

;)

Cyclone

AtmaWeapon
09-24-2002, 08:51 AM
I notice you didn't mention the X-box was taking up your time. Bored with it already?

Ich
09-24-2002, 12:25 PM
You are making way more than a part-time job at Burger King, and you don't have to deep fry potatoes. There's no need to be sad, nay, rejoice! for money is yours to be had!

GuitarmanTim
09-24-2002, 03:48 PM
no doubt your a good musician, but as a fellow musician (not yet as succesful, but still) I can say (and you should know this) that you may not be able to make it your job for ever. For now, it might be good and nice BUT, unless your willing to go all the way with music and leave everyithing behind, your gonna have to have something to fall back on. My goal is to make it big in the music bizz aswell BUT I'm gonna finish college first, because even if I do get (a little) famous, it's never gonna be forever, and when your off the top, you got nothing if all you ever did was make music. Just keep that in mind.

Beldaran
09-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by GuitarmanTim
no doubt your a good musician, but as a fellow musician (not yet as succesful, but still) I can say (and you should know this) that you may not be able to make it your job for ever. For now, it might be good and nice BUT, unless your willing to go all the way with music and leave everyithing behind, your gonna have to have something to fall back on. My goal is to make it big in the music bizz aswell BUT I'm gonna finish college first, because even if I do get (a little) famous, it's never gonna be forever, and when your off the top, you got nothing if all you ever did was make music. Just keep that in mind.

I think you have the wrong idea. I am still in college. I am taking a full load. I'm just not studying computer science anymore. That's not so bad.:)

Atma: My xbox is SOOOO cool still. However, I limit my time on it so I can get everything done. I wish I could just sit around and play it more.:D

gdorf
09-25-2002, 10:22 PM
Belderan: If you ever get insanely rich and famous, will you send me a signed guitar? (or at least a signed pic).. :tongue:

Mr. 207
09-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Fade to Black
Well hell Belderan, why are you even hanging your head? 1000 bucks a month? Geezuz...more I made in a year at that damn theater. I did believe that you were a faboulus musician, but even then, its still hard to find steady jobs with it ya know? Sometimes you have work, sometimes you don't, despite your abilities.

He's hanging his head because he realizes he couldnt cut the mustard and do the work.

Beldaran
09-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr. 207
He's hanging his head because he realizes he couldnt cut the mustard and do the work.

Sadly, yes.