PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Corps

Brian
09-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Has anyone else heard about this? The government is giving full ride scholarships to certain universities (tuition, room and board, etc) plus an additional 1,000 dollars for expenses to all who join Cyber Corps. It is a program, kind of like an ROTC, where if you major in computer security and agree to work for the department of defence or another government agency for two years after you graduate, they give you the full ride scholarship. This is a great idea, and I would do it if I was majoring in a computer field, but I'm not. I know many of you are planing to though so I'd thought I'd share it.

Beldaran
09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Cool! Unfortunately I'd kill myself before I worked for the govenment, but cool!

Menokh
09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Sounds interesting and I know people will take advantage of it.

I won't take advantage of this for two reasons, 1) I'm not going to major in computer security and 2) I have major qualms with our government at the present time, so I will not be working for them any time soon, no matter what the benifits.

Beldaran
09-23-2002, 03:44 PM
I agree with Menokh, as I said.

Anyway, here is a news story about it:

POOP IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.gcn.com/21_24/workforce/19671-1.html)

Brian
09-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Well, I would be proud to work for our government, and I probably will, but I don't want a computer-only job. I'll probably go into the FBI or NSA. (not necisarily as a field agent) If they offer something like for law majors I would jump on it.

And even if you don't want to work for the government, you only must for two years. Thats not bad at all considering all the money they're essentially giving you. Unless you're really principaled against working for the government.

Here's the story I first saw it at:
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/4131685.htm

Jemsee
09-23-2002, 04:08 PM
I got what collage level trainning from the Gov.
Did 4 years too, 2 years would be a breez for a free education.

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Cool! Unfortunately I'd kill myself before I worked for the govenment, but cool!

Or the department of defense will kill you to keep thier secres safe...

slothman
09-23-2002, 04:36 PM
That seems cool except for the security part. If it were general computers I might be interested.

The Savior
09-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Hmm, I might just do that if it's still around when I graduate...

deathbyhokie
09-23-2002, 05:01 PM
is that considered a civil service job too brian? if it is that deal's even sweeter. if not it might help you get one of the civil service jobs. i might look into that. i'm trying to figure out what to major in now.

Beldaran
09-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Bah, forget my principles. It looks like a sweet deal and I would do it if I was at a school that offered it.

The Savior
09-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Bah, forget my principles. It looks like a sweet deal and I would do it if I was at a school that offered it.

Damn straight, screw principles if they prevent you from learning for free.

stormwatcheagle
09-23-2002, 06:26 PM
If only it was for software and mechanical engineers.