PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I hate Linux...

Raichu86
09-23-2002, 09:43 AM
My dad has locked my Linux account so I can't log in to the system (he's root around here). Normally, a cron job slays me (in butthead mode) and locks my account when it's time for me to get off. Now it seems he's decided I don't deserve to use the computer after doing everything he wanted me to do all weekend long... Good thing I know my mom's password. :shrug: My dad might think he's going to stop me from using the computer when I want, but he's wrong. :naughty:

For you who admin your Linux, be glad your parents are not root. :eyebrow:

vegeta1215
09-23-2002, 10:05 AM
That sucks man. Hope you work things out, I'd hate to be locked out of my account.

AtmaWeapon
09-23-2002, 02:51 PM
That's got to really suck. I guess that's the only bad thing about Linux's security... when you get locked out, you're locked out BUT GOOD. I remember my dad donated an ancient Unix system from his office to my computer class... we never figured out the password so we could never use it LOL.

Menokh
09-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Thank god I am root on my computer.
I could lock out my dad if I wanted to.

I hope you get access to your account back soon.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2002, 03:29 PM
That sux man! Hope you get it fixed.

MottZilla
09-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Whatever happened to parents just turning off the pc and dragging you to bed? ;p

My computer is my own. No one else uses it.

Raichu86
09-23-2002, 04:44 PM
It's back on. It came back on about the time he got to work (he can control the computer from anywhere he has an Internet connection). I'm betting he shut it off so I couldn't use it until he got there. :sweat: Why? Well, consider this. He can see everything I say in chat programs. One time he emailed me messages with the subjects being things I had said on AIM just minutes before. :eek: I hate not being root.

Originally posted by Mottzilla
Whatever happened to parents just turning off the pc and dragging you to bed? ;p

This computer is always on except for when the power goes out (which happens a lot, because our power company does a very poor job of keeping the power on). :D

me2
09-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Well, I got SuSE linux and RedHat, I've tried both on my computer. I've been on root before, but now my lap is screwing up...

Gerudo
09-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86
It's back on. It came back on about the time he got to work (he can control the computer from anywhere he has an Internet connection). I'm betting he shut it off so I couldn't use it until he got there. :sweat: Why? Well, consider this. He can see everything I say in chat programs. One time he emailed me messages with the subjects being things I had said on AIM just minutes before. :eek: I hate not being root.
your dad sounds like an an asshole... thats invasion of privacy right there... if he cant respect that, he is royally fucked in the head...

all people should respect one's prvacy no matter what...

Raichu86
09-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, I'm not 18 yet, so I guess it's his right to make sure I'm not getting in trouble. Though, I wish he'd have some trust and respect for me. :shrug:

vegeta1215
09-24-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86
He can see everything I say in chat programs. One time he emailed me messages with the subjects being things I had said on AIM just minutes before. :eek:

Really? Damn, I heard you can check what websites you go to, but I didn't know you could monitor chat too. I wonder what he uses to do that? I'll have to ask my friend Steve, he a sysadmin at the place he works.

Hmm, if I remember correctly,t here are some chat programs that let you encrypt what you send, maybe Jabber? I can't remember.

AlexMax
09-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Case in point why I am root of my own damn system.

I don't trust anyone else.

Linux is like nuclear power. It can be used for both good and evil.

Fatty Lumpkin
09-24-2002, 05:50 PM
I want to re-install linux on my PC, but I need to get another hard drive.

For some reason, whenever I install linux along with windows, my sound drivers in W98 go bad.

Raichu86
09-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
Hmm, if I remember correctly,t here are some chat programs that let you encrypt what you send, maybe Jabber? I can't remember.

I know the multi-protocol messaging client Trillian (only on Windows) can use SecureIM on AIM to encrypt messages. I have EveryBuddy, gAIM, and AIM (the official pile of crap client) installed, and none of them can do that. :eyebrow:

vegeta1215
09-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Hmmm, maybe I was thinking of a plugin someone wrote for Gaim that I saw at Sourceforge...or maybe I was thinking of another Jabber client...I dunno.

MottZilla
09-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Try formating and installing Win98. ;p Problem solved!

inori
09-25-2002, 05:04 AM
Or better yet, just procure his password... doing so will provide a varying degree of challenge, depending on how good he is at choosing passwords, how good you are at guessing, and whether you ever get the chance to look over his shoulder as he logs in. :kawaii:

MottZilla
09-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Install a keylogger to get his password. =) If you can.

gdorf
09-25-2002, 10:08 PM
(he can control the computer from anywhere he has an Internet connection).

Simple solution.. pull out the cable while he is gone, or even use your router (if you have one) to filter out outside Ip's, save Agn.net of course. :tongue:

And, if you are there at the computer, local exploits are far easier and much more effective than remote.. just get root once, then create yourself a superuser account.

I'd love a dad like that... just so I could have fun getting around his "guidelines" .. :naughty:

deathbyhokie
09-25-2002, 10:10 PM
yeah it is fun getting around guidelines. i always had the best excuses for being home late.