PDA

View Full Version : PC controllers

Jemsee
09-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Today I invested a whole 10$ into a Gravis gamepad pro.
I'v been using the keyboard for most everything and setting keys to my preference.
Don't know why I never got one earlier.
But for some of the snes type games that sort of use a emulator this is the way to go.
Got a nice long cord so I can lay back and play instead of all hunched over the keyboard.
Such a simple thing can make all the difference in the world for ones gaming experence.

Yoshiman
09-22-2002, 07:46 PM
I might buy new controller for my PC. My old one broke.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2002, 07:57 PM
I definetly need to get one of those.

Fade to Black
09-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, sometimes cheap gamepads can do wonders...I got a sidewinder gamepad for christmas one year...and man...I love it.

Daarkseid
09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
I got one of those Gravis Gamepad pros. They are nice, and the USB interface makes it compatible with almost anything that runs on Windows XP.

Only complaint I had with it it, was that the D-pad isn't accurate in that if you push in one direction, you may wind up pushing diagonally.

I wound up fixing it by taking a exacto-knife and filing the plastic tips of the D-pad that make contact with the actual buttons beneath the Gamepad's casing. Now it works like a charm.

Thunderbird
09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Who needs a long cord when you can use a wireless gamepad? ;)

I use a Logitech Wingman Cordless Gamepad ;). Since it has 2 analog sticks on it, it is fairly easy to control characters in N64 games and some PC and PSX games (console games emulated of course, since the controller doesn't work with the PS2).

And since it's wireless, I don't have to worry about the cord! :D

Bloodstar64
09-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I would reccomend getting a psx to pc adater. They are cheap and they work nicley. (Plus they have a long cord)

http://products.search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/t2?p=psx+to+pc&r=&mid=55022&did=&pf=&pt=&Y=1&q=&X=1&clink=

Lone Wolf
09-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Yea, using a keyboard blows unless its a stradegy game and u use the mouse.

WarOmnimon
09-23-2002, 12:30 AM
I have an AxisPad. It seems to be modeled after a PSX controller. And it has two analog sticks. Perfect controller.

Menokh
09-23-2002, 12:33 AM
I need to get myself a new one.
I have no idea what to get though, since it needs to meet two requirements, it needs to work in Linux(official or unofficial drivers, it doesn't matter to me) and needs to be affordable.
My present one died, and good thing it died before I began to want one in Linux.

Oh well, I am slowly getting used to the keyboard, although it sucks to use it.

MottZilla
09-23-2002, 02:18 AM
I now use a USB PSX to PC-USB adaptor for my pc gamepad. It works wonderfully. I can have truely digital movement with the dpad. No stupid flickering with past pads I've had. Also there is a large assortment of buttons and anolog sticks if I should need anolog movement for anything.

vegeta1215
09-23-2002, 09:53 AM
I got a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB. It's perfect for playing SNES games on you computer via an emulator.

The only problem is it's not supported by Linux yet :( (at least as far as I know). I read that the serial port version is supported, but not the USB version. (but I'm sure it will be supported in the future) Well, I can still play RPGs with the keyboard, that's what I used for the longest time. But that's about all you can use the keyboard for.

So Menohk, if you go get a controller, be sure to check if it's Linux compatible!

MottZilla
09-23-2002, 04:46 PM
vegeta, if you look hard enough, there may be usb gravis drivers for linux out there somewhere. Like unofficial ones.

vegeta1215
09-24-2002, 12:53 AM
Maybe. I searched a while ago but had no luck. They might be supported now, even by Mandrake (the newest version of MDK is 9.0, I still only have 8.1). But, I'm not too worried about it right now. I don't have alot of time to play my games anyways.

Dracula
09-24-2002, 11:01 PM
GamePad Pro USB is very affordable, very nice on the hands, easy to work with, and not the least confusing, especially for PS/2 players. I could have gotten a SideWinder, but I'm just as happy. :)

AlexMax
09-25-2002, 10:47 AM
I would kill for a USB-PS2 converter that would register left and right at the same time and up and down at the same time. I need something like that to play DDR imports... :/

MottZilla
09-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Ussually gamepads are designed so you cannot press opposite directions at the same time.

I just tried it with my PSX controller, and it is indeed not possible to hit opposite directions at the same time. It's not the adaptor either. It's the controller.