PDA

View Full Version : Boss flags

blckscab
09-22-2002, 03:53 PM
What are they? what do they do? How do you use them?
I have heard of them in places but didnt know about them till now.:confused: :confuse2:

Cloral
09-22-2002, 04:14 PM
It's a screen flag. Basically, you set it in the room in your dungeon that contains the boss. Once it's dead, it won't come back.

There are other uses for the flag too, but they're a tad complex...

blckscab
09-22-2002, 04:18 PM
Do you mean the dungeon boss enemy flag?
I would like to here these more complex reasons:D

Teilyr
09-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Boss keys and rooms with enemies that never return.. Those are the only 2 I can think of at the moment.

Boss Key - Simple version.

1. Place a trigger enemy on the boss door screen, as well as the screen with the key. Place a boss flag on both of these screens.

2. Set a boss key tile as the "Kill all enemies" item and place it in a room.

3. Set the boss door on a secret combo, so that it changes to a normal door, using the Enemies->Secret flag. This way, when you get the key, it kills the trigger enemies, and opens the boss door.

I'll explain in further detail if need be.

Edit - This is also the way to do big treasure chests that open when you get the big key.

blckscab
09-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks for telling me how to do the boss keys on AIM Teilyr:D
I think I understand how to do them now:)

Verbatim
09-22-2002, 04:36 PM
First of all, the boss flags are internal flags that ZC uses to keep track of what bosses are dead. There's one boss flag per level number, except, I believe, for level 0, which doesn't get one, since it's not intended for dungeons.

To use them, you set the "Dungeon Boss" enemy flag. What it does is tell ZC that the current room contains the boss for the current level#. If you kill the boss, it makes a note that the boss for that level is dead. It uses that to know whether to play the "boss roar" SFX in other rooms, as well as to remember whether the enemies in that room are dead or alive.

Now for the neat stuff: a side effect of the way the boss flag works is that if you have more than one room marked as the "Dungeon Boss" on Dmaps with the same level number, the enemies will die in all the "Dungeon Boss" rooms when you kill the enemies in any one of them.

Jigglysaint was the one who first realized the full implications of that: if you set enemies->secret, you can activate the secret in a remote location by killing an enemy!

DN then added the trigger enemy to make doing it easier--it's an unkillable enemy, so you don't have to worry about hiding an enemy somewhere that the player can't attack it--just put the trigger enemy in the room that you want to activate the secret in when the boss gets killed, set the "Dungeon Boss" flag, the enemies->secret flag, and you're good to go.

There's been one other addition to make it easier too...the "kill all enemies" item. When Link picks it up, all the enemies in a room die. So you can have Link's getting an item trigger events in a remote room, as well. Just put trigger enemies in both rooms, set up the flags, make sure they're both on the same level#, put the kill all enemies item in one of the rooms, and you're good to go.

blckscab
09-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Cool, thanks for the ton of info, you just told me much more than I needed:D
Thanks again:kawaii: