PDA

View Full Version : System Suggestions

Kairyu
09-22-2002, 11:49 AM
You can skip the next set of paragraphs if you feel like it, it's just background.

A short time ago, when I finally gave up my near-to-last major bastion ( :eyebrow: Who makes up these words? And who expects you to spell them right?) of defense, and allowed myself to download Roms for games which I could not possibly hope to obtain in any reasonable way...
I realized, I wasn't totally sure what NES games I REALLY needed to play. Not ones like SMB1 or 3, or either Zelda, I mean obscure ones which kicked hideously awesome portions of rear, like... Captain America or something...
Well, I thought about it, and went through all my old NES game guides, and noted games which looked interesting. I realized, though, when it said "Super Mario Bros. 2, a BRAND NEW RELEASE", that it was dated... and was left to only download games who I could remember the name of from previous experience.
I figured, there must be some better way to do this... So I figured that, since I couldn't find one, I'd take the initiative and do it on my own. That's why I'm making this post.

(Start reading here) Everyone knows that, if you own an NES, you MUST get Mario 3, and hopefully you'll get all the Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Zelda games, but.... what about afterwards? There ARE good games out there, but some of the best are obscure... This is a list which I'll start (And you guys can finish :laughing: ) which gives advice for which obscure ones to keep an eye out for. For ANY system, not just NES. I'm just using that as an example. Well, I've talked WAY too much already, as always, so I'll get started. Oh! One more thing, please add a short note about the style of game, Thanks.

NES:
G. I. Joe: Platformer, with 6 (!!) or so characters. You get three for a mission and can swap between them anytime you want, and they're all pretty different in stats.

Bionic Commando: Platformer, but you can select stages as you wish and return to old ones. You can't jump, but you have a cool "extendo-arm" thingie which turns you into Tarzan with a bazooka.

Captain America and the Avengers: Platformer, two characters (I think). Like G. I. Joe with character swapping in mid-level, but since there are only two characters, each one has several unique and cool moves. And the level select is Bionic Commando style.

Metal Storm: Platformer. You can only be hit once before dying, but you have passwords and unlimited continues. The cool thing? you can flip the game's gravity at will to get a jump on enemies!

Shadow of the Ninja: Platformer (Notice a trend?) with two players and a two-player mode. Sorta like a miniature Ninja Gaiden, but it'll work if you are in need of a NG fix, or want to play with someone else.

Blaster Master: Platformer/Overhead, depending on the area. The story is weird. The game kicks butt, though. You switch between a hovering, nuclear tank and a kid in a radiation suit with grenades, a gun, and a frog to find. I told you the story was weird.

Now, you suggest some obscure must-haves for a video game system or two.

EWild
09-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Yo-Noid: Platformer, you are a guy in a bunny outfit and you eat pizza. There are pizza eating contests every so often. There are many levels, different spells, and cool items to help you defeat the bad guy. :)

Kairyu
09-22-2002, 12:45 PM
And I thought Blaster Master had a weird story... Um, well, what system is that game for?

Mak-X
09-22-2002, 12:49 PM
NES

Adventures of Lolo 1,2,3 Great puzzle solving games with appealing graphics. Push block here, there, block the Medusa head. I've gotta get these games used someday. (Hal Lab.)

Startropics - Kinda a sister game to Zelda. (Nintendo)

Ikari Warriors - don't remember much but its a action game, and I remember it was fun.

Life Force - vertical and horizontal scrolling stages. Played Gradius? Spin off series, same power ups. 2-player mode. (Konami)

Little Nemo's Dream Land - based on the movie, feed candy to animals to get their powers/help. (Capcom)

EWild
09-22-2002, 01:31 PM
NES.