PDA

View Full Version : To be fair...

AlexMax
09-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Quite some time ago, I did an unbiased review for the Xbox at the forums shown below:

http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000047

For those of you who are sick of my bias, that was my initial, unbiased review after having recently played an Xbox.

And for those of you who are link nazis...

Well, I just want to tell the forum about my experiences with Xbox. Yes, I was part of the Xbox badmouthing crowd and mocked it because of it's huge controller size and 'lack of quality games' and also the reports of it crashing every other second.
Well I have gotten the oppertunity to play an Xbox personally for extended periods of time, and from a gamers standpoint, here is what I found.

Graphically, it looks like PC graphics. You know what I'm talking about. It looks like someone slapped Direct3D onto a console. Not a bad thing initially, mind you, but games played on an Xbox had that 'PC' feel. You know what I'm talking about. As opposed to the GC and the PS2 which have engines designed for consoles that ultimately yield...different graphics. Not necisarily better...just different.

As for the controller...to be quite honest playing on the twin sticks was a dream for me. However, when it came time for me to press buttons, I would often press the incorrect one due to the boneheaded way they were laid out on the somewhat oversized (but still usable to me) controller. I can see where complaints would come from.

The built in Hard Drive was handy for storing games without a memory card. Brings back the good ol' days of the N64 where only a few games needed a memory card.

As for the games, I have played both Perfect Dark and Halo to the end. In fact, I was so used to PD style controls that I switched to legacy controls in Halo so it would function more like an N64 would (c buttons would be the right stick)

All in all, I am qutie pleased with Halo as a game. The storyline was nothing new, but it was engaging, and the vehicles are just plain cool and somehow they got it down pat. The second half of the games lagged behind in terms of interest (you went through places you already been before, with weather changes and more enemies) and some levels (the library) were uninspired to say the least. I was also disappointed that multiplayer did not support bots. However, other than that the game is very well done. The melee fighting works a lot better than one would expect it to, and the ability to throw grenades at will and jump made me miss those abilities enough for me to notice when playing Perfect Dark the other day.

Due to problems with the Xbox, however, it would occationally freeze up for ten seconds at a time on one playthrough at random intervals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know of no other game on any other system that does that, and the problem corrected itself after a reboot.

On to Dead or Alive 3. The game was a standard fare beat em' up, immediatly accessable yet very in depth if you practiced, similar to how VF4 is. However, I noted that the music durring the select a charactor phase would skip after a while. The owner of the Xbox attributed it to the upgrade that he got in the official Xbox magazine that added more charactors to DOA3. Something that NEVER should have happened...

Upgrading video games? What next?

Either way, I was quite surprised by the Xbox. Enough for me to buy one? No, because I have no intention of giving money to an orginization that invades my privacy and that I know would not give a flying fuck about their customers anymore if they ended up dominating that market. Also, the problems with the Xbox were just enough to remind me who the Xbox was made by. It was a shame that such good games had to come out on such an awfully designed system.

There was more, but it was about Celda. Let's keep this on topic, shall we. Also, I made a mistake in saying that the upgrade added charactors to DOA3 when I mean to say that it added different charactor costumes. What I didn't say anything about was Wreckless, another game they had. It was a cool concept, but the implimentation made it no better than some checkpoint racer like Midtown Madness with car battles.

And oh...

tratan
Member # 871

My little brother recently visited a friend who owns an Xbox. They started up some snowboarding game, and my brother is impressed for about 5 minutes (he has never used a Playstation). Then in the middle of a complicated jump, everything freezes. My brother asks his friend, "What happened?" The reply: "Oh, it does that sometimes. You just hit this button here."
My brother isn't stupid. He's switching to Linux with my help.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2002, 12:03 AM
IMO I have no beef with the Xbox, Microsoft is just seeing if they can make in in the console world. If I was that rich...I would too.:)

Masamune
09-22-2002, 07:38 PM
well they look like a happy bunch. o.0

Yoshiman
09-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Microsoft probably wanted to be "cool" and try the "business" of "video" games. The XBOX practically IS a computer.

Daarkseid
09-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Yoshiman
Microsoft probably wanted to be "cool" and try the "business" of "video" games.

No, they did it because of changes in the business. Computer Sales aren't growing as fast and thanks to the economic downturn in the US, people are buying fewer PCs.

Naturally, Microsoft with its Windows and Office software products, would not profit from decreased PC sales in the PC market.

Also, electronics sales have gone up in the recession, so this is Microsofts strategy of creating a permanent foothold in the electronics market, by making a console and grabbing enough market share that they'll be able to continue to profit from the electronics market even while the PC market diminishes from decreased sales.

The XBOX practically IS a computer.

Thats a pretty hallow statement, seeing as how all consoles are computers. They have processors, memory, graphics processors. The X-box just happens to be one of the first mainstream consoles to use an X86 processor and come with a Hard Drive. Otherwise, its no different from the other consoles out there. The Dreamcast used a version of Windows CE as its operating system. And the Gamecube has an IBM(usually associated with PCs) processor. Then you have the PS2, which is almost MEANT to be a PC, because of the USB peripherals and the Linux Kit that virtually transforms your PS2 into a Linux PC.

Maverick_Zero
09-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Like I said, as long as that little green x isn't a camera, I'm cool :D Anyway, yeah, XBOX, yeah. It's big. So is the contorller. But whats wrong with Microsoft wanting more money, it's not like XP sells like hot cakes ( which reminds me I should get some Hot cakes:drool:) Anwyay, but what if Linux will make their own console, how would that work :blah: . Microsoft nees money, they need it more than anyone, their real greedy, and it's messed up, but if they keep making good games for XBOX I don't care.

Daarkseid
09-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Maverick_Zero
but what if Linux will make their own console, how would that work :blah:

Well, Linux isn't a company, its an open source Operating System. So I can't see Linux somehow making a console... A company was making a console called the indrema that used Linux as its operating system and the system itself was supposed to be wide open to developers(amateur and professional). The project was cancelled from lack of funds though.

Menokh
09-22-2002, 10:38 PM
And to add to what Daark said, I can't imagine any Linux oriented compay making a console anyway, it's just not their thing.
Plus you need a fair amount of money to have a sucessful console, since consoles almost always lose money and the companies expect to make up the losses with games.

Grasshopper
09-22-2002, 11:47 PM
ugh, I feel ill toward gaming all together recently. :disgust: