PDA

View Full Version : Would graphics matter in a quest?

PalaDemon
09-20-2002, 09:56 PM
I have a question just to kill any doubt that I've got about finally going in with a long planned quest. Here's my question, especially to anybody that's made a quest. Would graphics matter in a quest when it came down to it, or is fun more of a priority? How about the flow of the levels? I've played a couple of quests that may not have the absolute best graphics, but was very fun and entertaining to play. (Yes, one of those quests would be Link's Bad Hair Day by PrfectGREG:D )

Granted: There are a LOT of new things implemented to make an awesome quest in ZQuest 1.92 B163 right now (besides it works on my new comp now - XP is my OS and 1.90 really dragged along before the 1.92 betas came along), but I dunno if it would be a good idea to quickly make a quest if file types change. Also, a few of the best tile sets are in Beta mode right now, and I have a couple of the best beta tilesets. Just so that the authors include everything that they want for a solid and rockin' tileset, I would feel a LOT better just to simply wait until the tileset authors are ready to give final versions (or better yet, wait up for 1.92 Final).

I know a few things are a bit off topic in this post, but I was just enforcing my question with the facts. To anyone that reads and responds to this post, thank you. I thank the members of the AGN Forums for answering this question, because I don't want to rush in or wait forever on making a quest. I'm just getting some popular opinion.

Samson007
09-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Well since most ZC quests dont vary A LOT in graphics it really doesnt matter. The only thing I would say is that you shouldnt just use the basic tileset. I really think the newfirst tiles beat the crap out of the origional nintendoo ones.

MottZilla
09-20-2002, 11:20 PM
What's most important is for your graphics to go with eachother. If they are out of place it will look ackward. My LGP quest still uses the BS-Zelda graphics with other misc tiles I added. However I didn update my AMOGA quest to LA graphics because of the dislike torwards classic graphics, that and the rather easy task it was for me to upgrade my quest graphics.

zora man
09-21-2002, 05:27 PM
If quest are to ugly I will die easily because I will be distracted by the uglynes.
I depend on good graphics and a good story try to make sure you balance them.

vegeta1215
09-21-2002, 11:19 PM
Graphics matter to some, and not to others. Sometimes having flashy graphics and cool tiles/setups is great advertising for a quest, but when you get down to it, I think it's all about the game. More specifically, the dungeons. Making a overworld isn't too tough, but making puzzling dungeons that make you think and make you learn some new zelda skills are what I like.

I haven't played quests in a while, but all the old ones (from 2000) that stuck out for me had great dungeons.

Whenever I get a chance to make a ZC Quest (maybe when ZC is ported to Linux), mine will include all classic graphics, with a few additions.

Blonde799
09-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Use whatever works for yourself, and remember that a few personal touches wouldn't hurt.

However, if the gameplay's good, upping the graphics would only make the quest better, because the player now has something good to look at, and getting hit by two good things at once will get more players scrambling for your quest.

If you don't want to upgrade the graphical ante, include your own custom tiles for your quest. In classic sets, that's a piece of cake.:)

I personally like enhanced graphics, but if the quest is nice to play, not terribly hard, and has custom tiles, the classic graphics are nothing to me.:)

Balister
09-23-2002, 12:05 AM
Graphics is always a good thing as long as you don't overwhelm yourself with too much. I would say that gameplay is more of a priority than graphics.

ShadowTiger
09-24-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna vote the "negative" response, but in a positive way.
I am waiting for a good tileset, (Particularly a forest temple from OoT ) but until then, I am playing DoY. Go play it now if you aren't. It's worth every download second.

BH4 Picks up Heart Container, and The blue armor slips over his head as he advances! YES!

ZeldaLord
09-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Any tileset is good, but if you use classic, make sure you change the palettes (I mean ALOT), because the standard palettes are as ugly as hell.