PDA

View Full Version : A request for you spriters out there...

inori
09-20-2002, 07:15 PM
This topic is a little bit of programming, a little bit of gaming discussion, and a little bit of art. So of course it ends up in GD. :kawaii:

My mood has swung back towards working on my space shooter game. (For those who haven't seen it, you can download a demo at http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~inori/download.html. Keep in mind that the download page hasn't been updated in a while, mostly because the game has been on the back burner.) Anyway, there's one boss enemy I really want to do in this game (in fact, it's already mostly coded), but I have very little artistic talent to draw it. So I was hoping that I might be able to receive an artwork contribution.

If you're interested, keep two things in mind:
- I already have a fairly clear picture in my mind as to how I want to use this graphic, and I already have code written for it. So if your contribution doesn't conform reasonably closely to my specifications, I won't be able to use it. (I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity, but I'm bound by constraints imposed by the mass of code I've already written, both for this particular boss and for the game in general.)
- Sadly, I can't offer any compensation of monetary value in exchange for the use of your graphics. Of course, I can and will give you full credit if I use your submission, unless for some reason you desire anonymity. In fact, all persons who make a bona fide effort to contribute will receive credit, whether I use their graphic or not.

With that said, here's what I'm looking for:
- The general concept of the boss is a dragon/snake combo thing, somewhat like Draygon in Super Metroid. It is constructed of two or three separate graphics: a head segment, four to six (presumably identical) body segments, and an optional tail segment. As with Draygon, only the head segment is vulnerable to damage.
- The boss will have the ability to travel in a full 360-degree range of motion. Also, it will not be constrained to travel in straight lines.
- Because of the boss's 360-degree motion range, I will need at least twelve to sixteen different rotations of the head graphic, the tail graphic if provided, and the body segments if they are not round. I have Photoshop and can produce these rotations if necessary, so you don't have to do it yourself... but if you want to, feel free (the graphics will be much cleaner if you do :kawaii: ).
- Also, because of its ability to turn, twist, and bend, the body segments need to be able to fit together even if not assembled in a straight line. The easiest way to accomodate this, in my opinion, is to make the body segments round, but you're welcome to be creative in this area.
- The creature will spit fire (I already have a fire graphic, but you're welcome to make a better one if you like). Therefore, I need a graphic of its mouth open. Animation of its mouth opening and closing is optional, but will be used if provided.
- The graphics engine for my game allows and encourages sprite animation, where the sprite cycles through multiple frames. You're welcome to take advantage of this fact and draw multiple frames for any or all of the requested graphics. This is not a requirement, though. BTW, the graphics engine runs at 40 FPS, so don't worry about my program not keeping up with any nifty animation you come up with. ;) If you do draw multiple frames for any particular graphic, just put them together in one file... I'll worry about arranging things so the graphics engine can use them.
- The size of the sprites is very tightly constrained by the environment of my game. The game runs at 640x480. The ideal size I envision for each graphic is about 35 or so pixels square, give or take 5, and I lean toward the small end of that range. (The head can be a bit larger than the body segments if you desire.) Anything very far outside that range will be out of proportion with other sprites in the game. Also, my game uses rectangles to detect collisions. Since I can't rotate the rectangle as the boss twists in different directions, each graphic should have approximately equal width and height. I can fudge this a bit, but a very long, thin head is not ideal.
- Bitmap (BMP) format is strongly preferred, as it's what my game uses. Go to town with colors if you like; the game runs in 24-bit color. GIF is acceptable (I'll convert your graphic to BMP if it comes as a GIF), but JPEG isn't usable, due to the fact that the compression of JPEG loses data.
- The graphics should be on a solid-color background (the specific color doesn't matter, as long as it's a color not used elsewhere in the image). The background is used as a color key for transparency (clipping) effects, and therefore must be one solid color. Please try to avoid anti-aliasing around the edges of the graphic, as it can make things look really bad when graphcs overlap (because clipping doesn't work properly).

If you're interested, you can send me your graphics by either of the following paths:
- Post it here
- E-mail me (the address is on the download page above)

When you submit, please provide the following information:
- Under what name you would like to be acknowledged in my game's credits (or if you would prefer to be anonymous). If you ask to be acknowledged under an obscene or offensive name (as judged by me alone), I will delete/ignore your submission, no matter how good it is, as I will not put such a name in my game.
- If submitting by e-mail, please tell me if I can post your work in this thread. If you say yes, I'll upload it to my web space and post it here.

Notes: I will be the final judge of whether a particular graphic gets used in the game, and I reserve the right to make any modifications I deem necessary to any received submission to render it usable. If I receive more than one submission I like, I may post a poll to decide between them, though I will not ultimately be bound by the results of any such poll. Please submit only your own original work... I'm not out to plagarize anyone here.

Well, I think that covers everything... thanks in advance for any submissions I may receive! If you have questions, please feel free to ask by post or PM.

Beldaran
09-20-2002, 07:25 PM
dude Inori, I have been recording a CD. I am just about to finish up. I totally slacked off on writing some tunes for your soundtrack. Would you still be interested in hearing a couple of musical ideas?

inori
09-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Absolutely. :kawaii: I've totally been slacking off as well, but I got two or three new ideas in the past day or two, so I'm back to it. :D

Speaking of which, I've had the fifth stage boss done for a couple of months now; I just haven't actually put up a download that contains it (like the webpage promises). Look for an update this weekend...

Beldaran
09-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Cool.

For what its worth, the game doesn't seem to run on my machine. I have winME and directx 8. I will see if I can fix it, but I was just letting you know.:)

Jemsee
09-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Got your game works fine for me got to 2nd boss but I am bad at these kind of games.
I wish I could help you on the grafix thing, I relly do.
It's times like this that ignorence sux.
From what I gather you want a snake boss in this game that can turn? But from reading the stuff above I got the inpression that is was some what 3D.
What you need is just pics of it in different postions?
And one that is an animated open and closing of the mouth with fire balls?

inori
09-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Jemsee
Got your game works fine for me got to 2nd boss but I am bad at these kind of games.
I wish I could help you on the grafix thing, I relly do.
It's times like this that ignorence sux.
From what I gather you want a snake boss in this game that can turn? But from reading the stuff above I got the inpression that is was some what 3D.
What you need is just pics of it in different postions?
And one that is an animated open and closing of the mouth with fire balls?

Basically, I want to make a snake-type boss that can fly in different directions. To do that, I need a graphic for the head and a graphic for the body. (I'll create the body by repeating the body graphic 4-6 times, to make the snake somewhat flexible.) I need to rotate the head to face different directions so the snake guy can fly in different directions, but I can do the rotation myself. So the bare-bones requirement is just one head graphic and one body graphic. (I already have the fireball graphic.) He actually doesn't have to be animated at all... it would just give him some personality.

And Beldaran, I'll see if I can find a Windows ME system on which to test the game. Unfortunately, I can't think where I'm going to manage that.

Glenn the Great
09-21-2002, 02:23 PM
I might try my hand at this, as I am quite skilled at pixel-by-pixel work. BTW, I thought Draygon was the giant green shrimp boss at the end of Maridia, who is vulnerable in the stomach. Are you talking about that snake-like miniboss in Maridia?

EDIT: Here's my first creation. Not quite the best I can do, but how do you like it? If you like it, I can animate the plasma inside the body and the flames on the tail. Here's a JPG so we can see how it looks, followed by links to the BMPs.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.geocities.com/cgbztileset/snake.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/cgbztileset/snakeheadopen.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/cgbztileset/snakeheadclosed.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/cgbztileset/snakebody.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/cgbztileset/snaketail.bmp

Axel
09-21-2002, 05:49 PM
damn, I thought you wanted a sprite ripper, I have no artistic ability, but stealing other people's sprites, there's my aptitude.

jman2050
09-21-2002, 05:58 PM
As with Draygon, only the head segment is vulnerable to damage.

DRAYGON"S WEAK POINT IS THE STOMACH NOT THE HEAD. You're reffering to that snake thing BEFORE draygon. Sorry, but I'm picky about these sort of things.

As for spriting. Well, I might be able to come up with something. Thankfully it's 24-bit color, so no palette work :D . Just another question, would you like a profile view of him, or an overhead biew, or a combination of both (sorry, I';ve never seen your space shooter, so I'm not too sure what style it is in)

inori
09-22-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by jman2050
DRAYGON"S WEAK POINT IS THE STOMACH NOT THE HEAD. You're reffering to that snake thing BEFORE draygon. Sorry, but I'm picky about these sort of things.

As for spriting. Well, I might be able to come up with something. Thankfully it's 24-bit color, so no palette work :D . Just another question, would you like a profile view of him, or an overhead biew, or a combination of both (sorry, I';ve never seen your space shooter, so I'm not too sure what style it is in)

Sorry, jman... must have been half-asleep when I wrote that. Yes, I mean the snake thing before Draygon.

As for the profile/overhead view question, I didn't even think about it until you brought it up. Profile was what I originally imagined, but now that I think about it, either one seems feasible.

And I do like yours, Glenn... it's already far better than what I had to begin with. I especially like the idea that fire comes from his tail... that kinda gives the impression of a mechanical snake, which makes more sense in a space shooter anyway. :kawaii:

Glenn the Great
09-23-2002, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I wanted the snake to be mechanical, hence the plasma in the body cells and the gun sticking out of its mouth. I think I want to touch it up a bit to make it look more mechanical though. It looks too organic with the oranges and yellow. I'll make a 2nd version tomorrow.

inori
09-23-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks so much, Glenn. I look forward to seeing it... :kawaii:

And for anyone who's interested, I finally finished up stage five and got a download up. I've updated the download page; see the first post in the thread if you'd like to try it out.

(BTW, this dragon/snake thing is planned as the boss of stage 7, I think, just in case anyone's curious.)