PDA

View Full Version : Browsing problem

Starkist
09-20-2002, 03:53 AM
Lately I've been having a problem with IE. Certain domains (today it's ebay sygate, and a few others) will not show any pictures and each time I click a link in this domain it will immediately go to a 'cannot find server' page. If I refresh it will load the page (without pictures) but this makes it impossible to send passwords. I can use Opera, but I'd really like to get IE working right. Any ideas?

inori
09-20-2002, 04:21 AM
Written just for you, Starkist... :kawaii:

inori's quick and easy 10-step plan for solving any computer problem:

1. Is it plugged in?
If NO, return the computer to the store where you bought it and ask to trade it in for an Etch-a-Sketch. If YES, continue to step 2.

2. Is there a local computer nerd in your neighborhood who can magically fix any electronics problem just by hovering near the offending device?
If YES, tape a photograph of said computer nerd to your computer. This will fix the problem (computers are dumb, and cannot tell the difference between the actual nerd and his/her picture). If NO, continue to step 3.

3. Do you have the manual that came with your computer?
If NO, continue to step 4. If YES, continue to step 4 anyway. The tech writers know nobody actually reads the manual, so if you open it, you will discover that the pages are actually blank.

4. Is the computer case stronger than your foot?
If YES, kick the computer (carefully, you don't want to injure yourself). This will not solve the problem, but will help to relieve stress. If NO, kick the computer anyway, but take care not to damage the case (this voids the warranty). After your well-deserved stress relief, proceed to step 5.

5. Are you running Windows ME?
If YES, call the Guiness Book of World Records immediately, as you are the first person in the universe to actually run Windows ME. If NO, or if NO, BUT WINDOWS ME IS INSTALLED, proceed to step 6.

6. Are you running another version of Windows?
If YES, proceed to step 7. If NO, someone will have told you by now that "You never have to reformat with Linux", so skip step 7 and proceed to step 8. When step 8 fails, return to step 7.

7. Have you reformatted your hard drive and reinstalled everything yet?
If NO, dig out all your original installation disks, and call all your friends from whom you pirated software so that you can borrow those disks again. Reserve a 24-hour time frame for OS reinstallation. If YES, do it one more time just to make sure, then proceed to step 8.

8. Do you have back-ups of all your important data?
If NO, you should have read this step before executing step 7. After you finish crying, proceed to step 9. If YES, call the Guiness Book of World Records again, as nobody ever actually keeps back-ups of all their important data. After you copy all your important data back onto the computer, proceed to step 9, unless you were instructed to return to step 7 after completing step 8.

9. Is your problem fixed yet?
If NO, proceed to step 10. If YES, quit deluding yourself and proceed to step 10.

10. Have you vowed never to touch a computer again?
If YES, congratulations. Beat your computer to a pulp with a sledge hammer, then STOP, as your computer problem is now solved. If NO, return to step 1.

Hermit
09-20-2002, 07:53 AM
Sounds like something similiar to an Internet Cache being full and/or overloaded, depending on what you have it set to. Right click on your IE desktop icon and head to Properties. Clear out cookies, temp i-net files, and history. ;)

Jemsee
09-20-2002, 08:56 AM
ROFL at inoris help list.
The kicking part does help, it really does. :)

Edit: I use IE and have found it a bad thing to set any of it's security crap up. Somtimes it can prevent things from opening that are rated wierd. I had it set up on the old PC and had nothing but problems with it.
Somthing you may what to check anyway.

vegeta1215
09-20-2002, 10:30 AM
Use Mozilla. End of problem. :D

(or turn the security settings back to default in IE, that may do the trick too)

Starkist
09-20-2002, 03:50 PM
I've tried Mozilla, don't like it. I have Opera as a backup to IE, the only problem is that it doesn't execute some javascripts right and it doesn't lay out pages the same as IE.

I just went to eBay and the pictures all show up and links work on the first try. The simple answer would be the cache, thanks all!