PDA

View Full Version : Im looking for a webhost.. please help me!

Rammstein
09-19-2002, 11:10 PM
I need 100 to 300mn space , Minimum 40gb transfer a month.

I now rip music videos , and my Fserv is always full (50/50 queues) cause I rip a lot of stuff, and I want to put a few videos (5, that I will change once in a while) on a website.

So if you can provide me with 100 to 300mb and 40gb transfer, email me at [email protected] with your price and we will talk about it.

If you have 40 or so gb but not 300mb i dont care, BW first then Space (Min 100mb)

Thank you.

Teilyr
09-19-2002, 11:26 PM
If nothing else, you can host from your computer.. I use simpleserver:www from analogx, along side a no-ip url.

Check them out if you want.
http://www.no-ip.com
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/sswww.htm

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 12:36 AM
how does that work Teilyr? i've always meant to put alot of the assorted crap i have on my comp online, but i'm not allowed enough gb per day.

Teilyr
09-20-2002, 12:54 AM
How's it work? It just does. :) The no-ip.com stuff assigns a url to your IP address, and the simple server puts it online. SS is the most easy to use server. Makes me regret learning how to use apache.

As for gb per day... Do you have limited bandwith, or something? I don't have the fastest DSL plan, but there's no limit on what I can do..

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 12:57 AM
no i'm using geocities and it only allows something like 4 GB of data transfer a day. and if i put some of my photots up there, yahoo ends up shutting it down for an hour at a time, and it's getting annoying. and so u know,i have a dedicated t1 line:tongue: college rocks:darkmage:

Teilyr
09-20-2002, 01:04 AM
Ah. That sucks.. If it's mainly for image hosting and other misc stuffs, you should check out no-ip and SS:www :)

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 01:08 AM
cool. thanks man. one last thing though, do i have to know HTML? cause i never took the time to learn it, always used the assorted builders sites had(although i can make most any program on a TI-83, ask ibis). and can i get a link to ur page? see what it can do?

gdorf
09-20-2002, 01:28 AM
If you host from your own computer, especially from a t1 line, you can do pretty much anything any other smaller-sized site can do. You have control over all the files you need for the site. There is no simple interface like geocities. However, you could always use dreamweaver, or *shudders* frontpage to create your site, and HTML is easy as nut to learn.

The whole concept of no-ip, is it allows people to connect directly to your computer, the computer your sitting at right now, and view the page. There will be very little bandwidth issues, unless you have a sys-admin at your school that's anal about stuff like that.

Have fun!

cap2030
09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Here's a link to a good and easy to use html editor.
http://www.evrsoft.com/download/

read my post below.

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 01:41 AM
thanks guys. this makes the day even better

cap2030
09-20-2002, 01:47 AM
I just paid a visit to cnet and some people complained about they finding a virus when installing 1st page(the html editor in my previous post).

I've havent had problems.
But I have an older version than that one.

Might be virus rumors spreading but you might as well scan it if you decide to download and install it.

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 01:49 AM
thanks for the heads-up. check it in the morning when i try to dl it

Teilyr
09-20-2002, 03:52 AM
My page is just a bunch of links to zc beta 163 downloads.. Nothing more. Look at it, if you want.. It's pretty lame by my standards. :) http://teilyr.no-ip.org

Verman
09-20-2002, 09:00 AM
Okay im confused...is that Rammstien opening this topic? the Rammstien that has been gone forever? Well...?

Teilyr
09-20-2002, 09:16 AM
As far as html editors, I use coffeecup version 9.0, which is really hard to find nowadays. So, if you want to give it a shot, tell me, and I'll drag it into my web folder.

There are later versions, but 9.0 is non-expiring evaluation. (free:D)

Starkist
09-20-2002, 03:45 PM
My favorite HTML editor is Windows Notepad. :) Dreamweaver MX is excellent too, I have the 30 day trial with 25 days left on it. :(

I signed up for no-ip.com last night and I haven't gotten my password in my email box yet. Are they usually this slow?

deathbyhokie
09-20-2002, 04:10 PM
i already had an address from com-2. the site is www.com-1.net i think. anyway, that works with analogx well. and the address isn't all that hard to remember either. but they do put a little bar at the bottom of your page, but it's not obtrusive

Starkist
09-21-2002, 03:12 AM
I used no-ip.com to set up a name for my server. However it didn't like my ip address, saying it was a private network. I got around it by merely using the same address but as a domain redirect. :)

EWild
09-21-2002, 08:57 AM
I use www.fateback.com to put up my pages, and I use www.angelfire.com to host shit. :) But I'm looking into this no-ip thingy now...

EDIT: Here's what I did with: MSPaint, Notepad, and frames. http://thedarkrift.fateback.com/frames.txt It's only a test, to see if my rollover effect button worked (AND IT DID!), and to see some other things. :)