PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Boot discs...finally a reality?

AlexMax
09-16-2002, 11:16 PM
http://www.ps2ownz.com/main.html

September 17th entry...

# Finally a PS2 "Boot-Disc" is coming for USA/PAL/JAP consoles!!!

Ever since the PS-X-Change CD was available for PSX/PSOne consoles, literally millions of gamers who wished to back-up their original discs to play (without the risks involved of soldering in a mod-chip) rejoiced as they were then able to use their LEGAL back-ups.

Then, a few months ago Swap Magic Discs were born. These discs allowed you to play your CD-R and DVD-R PS2 back-ups on your PS2 by booting them up prior to your game back-up, but they were plagued by limited compatability and ultimately they did NOT work with USA PS2 consoles.

Finally, similar to the Swap Magic Discs comes the PS2 Boot Discs! This is (again) a set of 2 discs which will allow the user to play their PS2 CD-R and DVD-R back-ups without a mod-chip (and only a SINGLE swap) on ANY version PS2... including USA consoles! There are actually 3 versions of these PS2 Boot Discs to cover USA/PAL/JAP units, and the swap is fast and works every time with every model we are told using the LH or similar Swap Method... or by using a solderless "plug mod" which opens and closes the PS2's drive tray for you.

For those interested, HERE is what the underside of one of these discs looks like. Notice all of the pressed 'fancy' grooves? That is the very reason why you can NOT (and NEVER will) be able to "burn" a copy of these PS2 Boot Discs... they MUST be pressed in order to boot-up PS2 back-ups.

We here at PS2Ownz.com are going to be getting some of these new PS2 Boot Discs for testing directly from the manufacturer of them who wishes to remain unmentioned at this time. If all goes well, we will post a Web address where YOU can buy these discs from as soon as their Web site is up and ready.

In closing, Z plans on modifying his PS2's top cover so that he can test out all of his CD-R and DVD-R back-ups using these new PS2 Boot Discs. If you are reading this and have manufacturing capabilities with plastics please contact Z as it would be GREAT to work with a company who can produce and sell these custom PS2 plastic covers for use with the PS2 Boot Discs! We'll post additional information as we receive it of course :)

I'm taking this with a grain of salt...but is it possible?

Hermit
09-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Is it possible ? I doubt it.

Once you pop a disc into the tray it freshly reads it from the very beginning. This sounds like another Gameshark swap gimmick full of hot air.

I especially enjoyed the pic with their queer .com logo all over it, Nice touch of realism there... not.

A Modchip keeps the PS2 from reading the copy protection on each disc by suplying a generic boot for it. Popping in a CD won't give you the same results, the machine automatically resets and heads for the copy protection section of the CD once something is put in the tray.

I also like how there is no manufacturer listed... they're getting a few discs to test from some mysterious "manufacturer"... isn't that sweet.

There is no real information here, I can only assume. If it's a real thing, cool... if not, oh well... there are tons of things like this that pop up daily, nothing new.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2002, 10:08 AM
I dunno what to make of it.

WarOmnimon
09-17-2002, 03:32 PM
It would be incredibly difficult to make a boot disk for PS2. They did it on PSX and Dreamcast, but those were systems that would fall for it. PS2 ain't as dumb. :mega:

Flash Man
09-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by WarOmnimon
PS2 ain't as dumb.
Neither are people

MottZilla
09-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Good point Flash.

Next, it's perfectly possible to make a PS2 bootdisc. However, the question is are these people for real or not.

Anyway, it is possible.

balzac
09-18-2002, 09:36 PM
This will all go out the window if the PS2 HDD & Co. will enable the kind of data manipulation I believe is possible.

WarOmnimon
09-18-2002, 09:58 PM
OK, OK, it is possible to make a boot disk for PS2. Forget I said anything. I'm just wondering if it's for real or not.

MottZilla
09-18-2002, 10:48 PM
You know what's sad is it's technically impossible to have a 100% protected pc game? Nowdays all you can do is try to make it really hard.