PDA

View Full Version : mp3 to midi

Masamune
09-16-2002, 08:05 PM
are there any free programs that allow you to convert mp3s to midi format? i have some tunes i need to upload but i can't support mp3.

Dechipher
09-16-2002, 08:37 PM
No siree....and if there are, they are crap.

Nor are there any MIDI 2 MP3 file convertors...

Beldaran
09-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Yeah, saying you want to go from MP3 to midi is like asking for a program that converts game screenshots to C++ source code. They are two different things.

Dracula
09-16-2002, 10:10 PM
There are Midi to Mp3 programs, but most likely they don't do too well, and there's a quality decrease, and some instruments turn out to sound like shit.

inori
09-16-2002, 10:16 PM
For (counts on fingers) the 50th time...

MIDI to MP3 is easy.
MP3 to MIDI is nearly impossible.

Paradox
09-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by inori
nearly impossible.
so it's possible? you've seen programs?

AtmaWeapon
09-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Most likely for mp3 to midi you'd take a program like noteworthy composer and hack out the sheet music by ear.

MIDI to mp3 is ridiculously easy, you just need a way to record whatever output your PC is making. I just hook my "line out" port to the "line in" port and record.

Dracula
09-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon

MIDI to mp3 is ridiculously easy, you just need a way to record whatever output your PC is making. I just hook my "line out" port to the "line in" port and record.

That's basicly what I do, since I don't use any programs to do that, obviously, from what came out.

Hermit
09-17-2002, 03:14 AM
Midi -> MP3 can be easy or hard depending on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you want the midi, as is, in mp3 format just play and record it into Wav format and go from there. If you use winamp, there are plenty of plug-ins that output to Wav. If you want something more, you'll need a soundfont renderer or player, but that's another story.

MP3 -> Midi by means of a program doing it for you ? Yes, consider that a no go. The only time any program works effectively at that is when you are converting solo instrument songs. If there is more than one instrument playing at the same time in a Wav file, the program will effectively give you a staff filled with FUBAR because there isn't anything out there that can pick out multiple frequencies for notes and instruments and place them as they should be.

So if you have an MP3 of some guy playing a solo flute song or something, by all means use a prgram to convert the Wav to Midi. If it's an MP3 of some rock band jammin out some mad shit, forget it ;)

CH@O$
09-17-2002, 05:04 AM
cdex, search for it on google, that should do the job

obi
09-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by CH@O$
cdex, search for it on google, that should do the job

Chaos, really emphasise on what you mean. ;)

DOn't be fooled into thinking that he means that CDEX converts MP3 TO MIDI, It don't. It is basically a MP3 encoder (really depends on the plugins you add) from wav or CD. nothing more. STill good all the same.:D