PDA

View Full Version : RPG's: Do they make you suck at other games if played too long?

DemoQuestFan
09-16-2002, 03:12 PM
I certainly seem to think so. Put it this way. Ever since I started playing more RPGs then anything else, my level of patience with any other game genre has dissappeared NEVER to return. It got worse when I started playing Roller Coaster Tycoon. Now it seems that RPGs and building simulations are the only thing I can ever play anymore. I used to be real good at the Super Mario series. Now in SMB3 I can't even play one level without dying.:cry: It's pretty damn sad when all you can play is RPGs and you have to realize that is the only thing you can play now for the rest of your life cause you haven't got patience for any other games anymore.

jman2050
09-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Actually RPGs have helped me with other game genres. They help me to pay more attention when playing games and also to paty more attention in general (especially FFVI when you are frantically trying to find your next attack before the enemy attacks). Let me put it this way: I've played oodles of RPGs already, and I can still play through Sonic 3 and Knuckles in 45 minutes to an hour without problems. I would attribute your loss of skill in SMB3 to the fact that you hadn't been playing it for a while (trust me, no matter how good you are at a game, without practice your skill will diminish)

WarOmnimon
09-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Nope. I don't think so.

Take my childhood for instance. Even after playing Final Fantasy IV for hours on end, I was still quite good at Super Mario Bros. Even after beating FFIV, I was still that dang good.

Yoshiman
09-16-2002, 05:37 PM
Play FF7 in Active mode, and see how long you have to make your choice on attack. Same with Chrono Trigger.

KINGOFALLME2
09-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Nope.

:kawaii: <-----flet like posting it.

KamiKaZe cOw
09-16-2002, 07:50 PM
Nah, not me either... I play ff6 on a regular basis, but i still rock at almost any other genre of game...
on your problem... Practice makes perfect. Duh!:D

:banghead: KaMiKaZe cOw! :banghead:

Maverick_Zero
09-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Kinda, a pue turnbaded rpg that is, like FFX, you can take your sweetass time with that.

Yoshiman
09-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Awww.... those RPGs are no fun.

Link 101
09-16-2002, 09:30 PM
Nah RPGs don't affect my other genre skills. I think they improve them actually.

Yoshiman
09-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you have to plan before you go running into a battle. Like in SMB1, you have to plan when to run under Bowser, or you'll get smashed.

Artevoi
09-19-2002, 09:24 AM
They haven't yet. But I try to balance out my RPGs with other types of games to make sure I still keep my skills. Even during the height of my FF7 addiction I still played Quake 2.

mrz84
09-20-2002, 07:55 PM
i play mostly rpgs and i still can play games like mega man x, starcraft, and strider 2. http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/myanimepage/mini_ami.gif

MottZilla
09-21-2002, 03:52 PM
Quite possibly. Depends how long you go without playing a real game. ;p

imported_Cool_Link
09-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Call me a lier if you want, but I think get BETTER at games if I don't play them. :eek: I could never beat this one level on Pefect Dark once, Stoped playing. Then one day I went that level again, (remember, I haven't played Pefect Dark for along time) and I beat the level without even thinking about it. :eek: My skills stay put no matter what. Thay can get better, but thay can't get worse. ;)