PDA

View Full Version : rom hack "IPS" file problem...

KamiKaZe cOw
09-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Simple Questions how do i install IPS files onto the roms? TIA

:banghead: KaMiKaZe cOw :banghead:

Warlock
09-14-2002, 12:22 PM
You need a patching program.. I use IPSWin, works great. I'm sure you can find something at Zophar's (www.zophar.net)

vegeta1215
09-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Or, if you're patching SNES games, you can let ZSNES do the patching for you!

Example: Say I want to use the Super Justin Bailey patch on my Super Metroid ROM. I have the files super_metroid.smc (the ROM) and super_jb.ips (the patch).

Instead of having a program patch the two together, simply rename super_jb.ips to super_metroid.ips (basically so it matches your ROM filename except for the file extension). When you run super_metroid.smc with ZSNES, it will patch it while you play, giving you perfect chksums and leaving both files in their original form!

This works for just about any type of patch (such as translation patches). Of course if you want to patch'm permanently, that's fine too, but this way is so much easier.

Starkist
09-14-2002, 04:45 PM
I use SNES Tool, which can also be found at zophar.net. It works for SNES and NES games.

KamiKaZe cOw
09-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Thanks much, I'll get the snes tool... I only use NES emu/roms, as my computer cant handle SNES or higher... Which really, Really, Sucks.

MottZilla
09-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Yes, Sega/SnesTool are great IPS programs which are DOS based.

Demimore
09-16-2002, 04:40 AM
Use IPSWin its so simple! A 3000.000 year old could easily use it!
Though I cannot give you the address to a ROM site which has it, you'll have to go to Altavista and search for IPSWin or ROM hacking....

WarOmnimon
09-17-2002, 03:45 PM
SNES Tool works quite well for applying IPS patches. And not only on NES/SNES games. It works good with all of them.

vegeta1215
09-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Demimore
Use IPSWin its so simple! A 3000.000 year old could easily use it!
Though I cannot give you the address to a ROM site which has it, you'll have to go to Altavista and search for IPSWin or ROM hacking....

I think that's what I used to patch FFV and SD3 before ZSNES did the auto patching thing. You're right, IPSWin is a great easy to use program.