PDA

View Full Version : Armageddon is imminent...

AlexMax
09-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Technology - AP
Intel to Offer New Security Features
Tue Sep 10,10:14 AM ET
By MATTHEW FORDAHL, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In the latest attempt to protect digital information from viruses and hackers, Intel Corp. will integrate advanced security features into its microprocessors and other hardware.
The security features, announced Monday at the Intel's conference for developers, will be implemented in processors as early as next year, said Paul Otellini, Intel's president and chief operating officer.

Code-named LaGrande Technology, the features will create a "vault" in which data is safely stored and processed. Intel also will secure the pathways within the computer, such as between the vault and the display or keyboard.
"It's a new level of safer computing," Otellini said during a keynote addres

The company did not release many details about LaGrande but said it will work in conjunction with other hardware and software-based security efforts such as Microsoft Corp.'s Palladium.

Such technologies will not only keep hackers and viruses from infiltrating data stored or being processed on a computer but also could lock music or video files onto a particular computer, preventing unauthorized sharing.

In other developments at the conference, Intel said it will soon start selling Pentium 4 processors with a new technology that effectively tricks software into thinking it is running on two processors instead of one.

The technology, called "hyper-threading," is already in production in processors used in servers. Otellini said it will be included in Pentium 4s running at 3 gigahertz by the end of the year.

Intel also said it will continue to boost the speed of its processors. During one demonstration, a Pentium 4 set a new speed record — 4.7 GHz.

Shares of Intel closed 14 cents lower, to $16.08, in Monday trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020910/ap_on_hi_te/intel_security_4

The interesting thing is that in spite of the fact that Intel says that they will support Microsoft's Pallium, they never explicitly say that it will block open sourced operating systems like Linux.

Still, this whole shenanegin reeks of 'DMCA'.

Raise your hand if you trust these fuckers.

Paradox
09-12-2002, 04:54 PM
i swear i will have the same computer 50 years from now if they put any of this secure crap on the new ones

EWild
09-12-2002, 05:00 PM
I am rethinking buying a new computer everyday, stupid, stupid, stupid...

Jemsee
09-12-2002, 05:07 PM
A 4.7 processor?
My god when will it stop.
I just got used to my 1.4 and think I'm on top of the world.
Well here is what to do. Buy up a bunch of the high end CPUs that are not contaminated with this "security" BS and wait till there is nothing ells on the market then sell them black-market.
:D money to be made.

Beldaran
09-12-2002, 05:08 PM
[raises his hand]

Jigglysaint
09-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Perhaps it will just have to be that people will have to boycott these computers, at the expence of prosparity.

MottZilla
09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
By all means, by a new pc. This security shit isn't around yet.

And like Jiggly said, people just need to not buy these things. Drive their business into the fucking ground by not buying hteir crappy products.

You don't have to buy a shitty "secure" PoS. I never will.

gdorf
09-12-2002, 07:49 PM
People won't boycott them, to the average. From reading this you can obviously tell that the people on the forums will be fairly upset, but most of us share one thing in common.. our knowledge/love of computers. We are involved in a freaking Online community. :tongue:

However, to the average user, who logs ito to their computer, checks emails, and maybe prints the ocasional card for a friend, Pallidium doesn't mean a thing. Linux users/Techies are the minority, and microsoft knows it.

bigjoe
09-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Get a new one to do legit crap on and keep the old one to do illegit crap on ;)

DarkDragon
09-12-2002, 08:24 PM
*Keeps hand firmly down*

Actually, I'm not too worried about it. Remember those chips that were supposedly going to be integrated into television sets? If the plan does succeed, I'm sure people will have discovered work-arounds in no time.

teddyboy420
09-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Yeah aomeone will find away around all these file sharing security measures. And to effectively boycot these companies all that's needed is to not buy their goods or services.

The biggest problem to that is the "average" computer user who wants the top-of-the line PC for his kids to do their homework on. I don't think a buyer like that will be concered about not being able to share files, in fact since these measures are being sold under the "more secure" banner, they will probably be eager to buy them.

edit: Wow, did that relly say 4.7ghz? That;s crazy, I am happy w/ my 1ghz laptop. I thought this thing was pretty quick. Luckily I'll be getting a new P4 desktop next semester (I'll be building it in my hardware class)

Warlock
09-12-2002, 09:04 PM
AMD, cheaper than Intel anyways..

WarOmnimon
09-12-2002, 09:30 PM
*Keeps hand down*

I don't believe these bastiches. All of the people who don't want people downloading movies and MP3s are teaming up with anti-hackers. The result in a couple of years... Buy a new computer, no MP3/movie downloads, and stuck with Windows.

The v-chips were Bubba's fault! Bubba's! (Bubba=Bill Clinton) If Dole were president, we wouldn't have to worry about it. Thank goodness Bush is our president. If Al Gore won the race, we would have Lieberman as vice president, and he would make sure we only got kiddie games and edutainment.

I'm gone. :mega:

mike5000
09-12-2002, 11:53 PM
My advice is get a new comp today, that way it will rule and wont have the stupid ass security crap...

4matsy
09-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Pfeh.

I still don't understand why Osama and his crew picked the World Trade Center, when it's common knowledge that Microsoft would make a SOOOO much better target...:evil: :bomb:

Ya know what I'd really like to do? Get on the head Microsoft guy's good side, act loyal...then when he resigns, I'd get to take over as president. I'd then fire everybody, hire some new guys who aren't corrupt, throw all that Windows crap out the proverbial...well, window, and make a new operating system that doesn't crash every 5 minutes and doesn't spy on the user.

Heck, maybe just start selling a Linux distro, instead of having to write a new OS from scratch...wouldn't it be funny to see "Microsoft Linux" on the front of a box? :D

gdorf
09-13-2002, 12:27 AM
AMD, cheaper than Intel anyways..

Amen to that.

mike5000
09-13-2002, 12:36 AM
AMEN!

I have an AMD too!