PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to justice

CH@O$
09-12-2002, 05:53 AM
i've just finished an assignment in law and i thought it may make for an interesting debate on AGN (knowing some peoples different approaches to justice)

the topic subject is : alternatives to juries and reform

what do you guys think would work better than a jury??? it was quite fun in class, and i can tell its gonna be a hoot on AGN:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yoshiman
09-12-2002, 05:59 AM
You have a school project to do, don't you?

NaFe
09-12-2002, 06:17 AM
i reckon a few monkey's with some alcohol, and a hat full of 'guilty' or 'not guilty' would be really interseting! monkey's are cool

CH@O$
09-12-2002, 06:35 AM
nah the projects been done.... i just loved the debate in class so much i thought id bring it where people such as DC can let rip on it with all the humopur they posses, the task was easy and i got a B on it

Starkist
09-12-2002, 03:19 PM
The thread title is a bit misleading, because no matter what alternatives are propsed justice is still the goal.

Beldaran
09-12-2002, 03:24 PM
I think the best alternative to a jury would be to give me a huge gold throne and the final say in all cases. And a big T-shirt that says "I'm the Fucking Overlord."

Verman
09-12-2002, 04:30 PM
The best alternative to any justice system is anarchy...

What you raped my wife? *BLAM* *BLAM*
What you stole my car? *STAB* *STAB*
What you have a mustang and I dont? *Baboom*

See! it works awsome.

Beldaran
09-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Verman

What you have a mustang and I dont? *Baboom*

no that's communism.:)

Jemsee
09-12-2002, 04:58 PM
An alternative to a jury?
Machines.
You may balk at the thought but they are already being used to some extent. All this DNA matching stuff is mostly done by machines and the Doc tell the results in court and a person goes to jail.
The AI of games is getting more and more sophisticated and with the proper programming any and all facts could be entered into a program and a result offered.
So in a criminal case the same could be done.
There are 1000 of years for a data base that could be accessed in seconds and there would be no predigest of race color or social status. Guilty or not guilty pure by pure logic.

Beldaran
09-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Jemsee
An alternative to a jury?
Machines.
You may balk at the thought but they are already being used to some extent. All this DNA matching stuff is mostly done by machines and the Doc tell the results in court and a person goes to jail.
The AI of games is getting more and more sophisticated and with the proper programming any and all facts could be entered into a program and a result offered.
So in a criminal case the same could be done.
There are 1000 of years for a data base that could be accessed in seconds and there would be no predigest of race color or social status. Guilty or not guilty pure by pure logic.

Unfortunately the jury would probably have windows 98 installed and all their verdicts would be "We find the defendant... .... .... press ctrl alt del to continue"

The Savior
09-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Beldaran took my idea. :(

My lifelong dream is to amass a large quantity of land and build an apartment complex on it. If you lived in or visited the complex, you would be required only not to behave like an asshole. That's the only one. I would have authority to remove anyone from my complex using any means necessary if they violated the rule. On the land that wasn't being used for housing, people could establish businesses and such, with the final intent of creating a mini-society. If people wanted, they could spend almost their entire lives without leaving the complex, although that would be a bit extreme. If only something like this could work in the real world...

Lone Wolf
09-12-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
no that's communism.:)

:laughing: yea

You have a school project to do, don't you?

he probably does, not a bad way to start though.

Rijuhn
09-14-2002, 12:48 AM
Make it a game show. And what would be really funny is if the felon gets his record cleared and drives off the game show set with a brand new Mustang, lol.

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-14-2002, 12:56 AM
What about the classic Sci-Fi Tribunal?

Daarkseid
09-14-2002, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I'd say the best alternative would be machines. The only problem with machines is that they can't really differentiate certain subtleties of the crimes committed and the people involved. Where a judge might appropriately reduce a sentence a sentence for an ultimately mislead or misunderstood convict, a machine will just go ahead and hand out the maximum sentence.