PDA

View Full Version : Grumble, mumble, mffhle...

Cyclone
09-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Stupid people go to my college. I swear to God.

I get in here, planning to print a couple of news articles for someone relating to (what else) Napster, and also am planning to relocate something about the cracked CD (using magic marker) experiment (I have it at home, but am seeking a second copy).

I send an article to the printer (a crummy dot-matrix), and then sit and wait. Of course, the printer - as usually happens - isn't working as I arrive, and I noted a HUGE paper jam (which I partially cleared), and the printer is eventually reset. Out starts a 20-page document about something-or-other, which - needless to say - drove me literally up the wall.

I now just got two notices that "You don't have enough credit to print this document"; apparently,the XP workstations in here don't access the dot-matrix, as I have tried both printers in this lab. WTF?

Highly debating just e-mailing myself the articles, and coming back later.

Cyclone

obi
09-10-2002, 01:11 PM
That kind of thing happend in my school.....
People would print off pages of 'Bubblegum kids' and whats worse is, that they can't comprehend printing queues and if they don't see the image print out, the click print another fifty times.
It really pissed me off near the end of the year as I need to print off course work, and I can't cos some idiot printed off 13 copies of utter crap........

Cyclone
09-10-2002, 01:23 PM
No kidding.

The system at our college is that we have a laser printer (10 cents/page), and a dot-matrix printer. The laser printer prints a helluva lot faster, with a helluva better quality; the dot-matrix prints utter crap half the time.

Well, I wish that the person who wanted this technical document had brains and used the laser printer, rather than keep the rest of us from using the printer; likewise, to the person who then printed resumes following that document (both queued from earlier in the day, and currently not picked up) would have been much smarter to use the laser printer and expend some money; I doubt any employer will hire someone with a resume that looks like THAT...

NEway, part of document #1 is finally in my hands. I'm waiting for the other two (I believe that's how many more...but they are comparatively small).

Cyclone

AlexMax
09-10-2002, 02:57 PM
*remembers the living hell that was the printers at UNCC....

Gah...remind me to bring my own printer when i go...

Yoshiman
09-10-2002, 04:49 PM
That's what you get when you buy Windows XP... is it just me, or does XP look kind of like this smilie? :sick:

DarkDragon
09-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Nah, Win XP is a helluva lot better than Win 98, in my opinion. I've yet to have Win XP crash on me. The only complaint is that some older DOS-based games don't work properly anymore, but that's what my 486 is for.

AtmaWeapon
09-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Yes, I'm sure it's Windows XPs fault that 20 people wanted to print documents and there was a paperjam. Perhaps you'd like to explain to me how XP caused the printer to jam, Yoshiman?

Stuff like that is why I bought my own printer for school.

Yoshiman
09-10-2002, 07:50 PM
I dunno, XP is crap? :shrug:

AtmaWeapon
09-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Great logic. I'm sure you use Linux, a custom kernel, and/or coded your own OS once, so you have the right to complain about XP, right?

The Savior
09-10-2002, 08:50 PM
While Yoshiman isn't really showing any logic with his posts, just because he hasn't done anything you mentioned doesn't mean he can't complain about XP.

Daarkseid
09-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by The Savior
While Yoshiman isn't really showing any logic with his posts, just because he hasn't done anything you mentioned doesn't mean he can't complain about XP.

No, but the least he can do is actually admit that he's used XP enough to experience any problems that would warrant his complaints of XP. He hasn't exactly stated that he's used XP before. And like DarkDragon has said, I've been using XP(professional) for about 9 months now and I have yet to have it crash on me or become so resource depleted that I have to restart.

Cyclone
09-10-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
Yes, I'm sure it's Windows XPs fault that 20 people wanted to print documents and there was a paperjam. Perhaps you'd like to explain to me how XP caused the printer to jam, Yoshiman?ROFL, that made me crack up. :laughing:

And I have my own printer here at home, myself. Does me no good at school, though. :shrug:

Cyclone