PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions.

jman2050
09-09-2002, 06:27 PM
OK, it's been FOREVER since I worked with Zquest, and I have a couple of questions for all of you.

1) What's the deal with triggering secrets in seperate rooms. For example in some quests, when you press a button in a dungeon, it'll trigger the secret flags in another dungeon or overworld screen (usually for the purpose of warping you somewhere else, like the filled lake in DOY). Does the same trick work for such situations as boss doors and those blue-red switch things (like in ALTTP). If so, how would all of the above be implemented. I've seen it mentioned but nowhere have I seen exactly how to do it.

2) Ujsing layers, is it possible for one tile space to have two properties, like the tile on layer 1 have conveyor, and the second layer has a tile warp?

3. I'll be stright on this: How the heck do you work with layers. THe included help files does not help too much :sweat: .

Cloral
09-09-2002, 08:44 PM
1) In the last public beta, the way isn't quite as straightforward as it could be. What you do is make sure both screens are in dmaps with the same level number, and then you make them both 'boss rooms'. However, the player should only be able to directly kill the enemies in the 'trigger' room. I believe the 'trigger' enemy is included in that beta, it's invisible and can't be killed, so you can use it in the destination screen.

2) No. Only the combo type of layer 0 is used - layers 1 and 2 contribute their blocking, but not their type. All the others are completely decorative.

3) It is a bit too complicated to explain here. Just know that each layer is actually another screen somewhere else that is drawn on top of the main screen to simulate depth.

jman2050
09-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Ahh. That makes sense (the boss room thing). Hopefully, DN will add something to make doing this so much easier. Oh, and after some experimenting, I finally figured out how to do layering. It may be a waste of map space, but what the heck :shrug: .

Teilyr
09-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Well, you have a crap load of maps now. So, it's just a matter of what you're willing to expend.

Note: You can use the "overhead" combo to simulate layer 3, and I believe 4, 5, and 6.

jman2050
09-09-2002, 10:33 PM
One problem with the overhead combo: It doesn't work on the edge, or so DN says. And with trees, it's hard not to get them at the edge.

And trust me, for my purposes, 64 maps is pushing it :D .

Dart Zaidyer
09-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Hmm, I can't seem to grasp the concept of that special triggering method, Cloral... Can I get a step-by-step walkthrough of how to make one? For example, crystal switches or "permanent events" like when you fill Lake Hylia in DoY.

Cloral
09-10-2002, 02:43 PM
OK.

1) Make a boss somewhere that you have to kill (there are other ways of doing this, but this is the simplest to explain).

2) Make another screen somewhere that you want to change when the boss is killed.

3) Make sure that the dmap the boss is in and the dmap with the triggered screen share the same level number.

4) Set the boss attribute for the triggered screen, and place your secret flags as you want. Set the Enemies->Secret flag on this screen too.

5) Place a trigger enemy on this screen. It is invisible and cannot be killed.

Now, when you kill the boss, the game will record that the boss for that level is killed. Thus, when you enter the triggered screen, the game will see that the boss is dead and immediately kill all enemies on that screen, triggering the secrets you placed.

ShadowTiger
09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Wait a minute... or a second... Yeah.. When I killed the "boss" in the "boss" room, eventually, he returned, along with all of the enemies, and the trigger. So how can we make save games.... saved... like this?

jman2050
09-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Did that boss room have the boss attribute on it? Also, and I could be wrong, I believe Dodongos always return regardless if the room is a boss room or not.

Teilyr
09-10-2002, 04:02 PM
You'd be correct, jman. Cloral, your process is exactly how most people do boss keys. . Funny how things merge together.

Boss key item is the kill all enemies item..
Rooms with boss door and boss key are boss flagged rooms, which are also e->s screen flagged..
Trigger enemy on both screens, so you can't kill it with anything else except an item, or an event.

Very clever. :)

Dart Zaidyer
09-10-2002, 04:05 PM
What about a trick like the switches in DoY that open up the 1-way shutters? I suspect there's more smoke and mirrors going on there because there are enemies in many of those rooms...

Teilyr
09-10-2002, 04:08 PM
Uh.. Well, I don't know crap about DoY but, I can assume that it's like this.

Crystal switch is a temp trigger, probably with the strike flag on it, unless there's a specific way you have to hit it.
When triggered, it changes all walkable tiles to pits, and full screen insta-warps you to a room that looks exactly like the one you were just in, except the shutter is open.
Then a sidewarp can be applied to get you back on track of the map.

The full screen warp is a screen flag. Basically, what it does, is like... If you warp, everything on the screen warps with you. Projectile weapons, enemies, etc.

The other way is just simply a secret flag that is triggered when hitting the orb, that erases the shutter part of the door, and makes it look like a passage. Best way to test this is to hit that switch, go into the next room, then double back. If you walk through a shutter, then he used a secret combo on it.

Get it? :)

jman2050
09-10-2002, 04:18 PM
That's not what he's talking about. In some of DoY's dungeons, there is a room with a switch that you press. This then opens a door in a SEPERATE room. I assumed that he did it by completely switching the map when the buttons were pressed with a carbon copy, only with the appropriate door open. Evidence of this is when you exit and reenter the Dmap. The doors are reset and you have to press the button again.

Teilyr
09-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Hm. Well, as I said. I don't know crap about DoY. Never played it, never will. :)

But it sounds to me like a simple pit warp at first "glance".. It's just set up in a way that it looks like you never change dmaps.

jman2050
09-22-2002, 04:11 PM
It does look that way. Also, and I haven't looked too much into ZQuest yet, too busy doing other stuff, how do you set up different save points. Like in certain quests when you save you start off at point x, but when you reach point y, then when you save and then start up the game, you'll start off at point y?

Teilyr
09-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Like.. you're strolling along in the forest, reach level 4, then then save your game and exit ZC, then continue in level 4 when you select the quest again? Place a check in the Cont. here box in the dmap setup menu.