PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings RPG

Starkist
09-08-2002, 03:40 PM
The Lord of the Rings RPG (http://www.lordoftherings.com)

Review @ TolkeinOnline (http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/7313.html)

Looks great to me, I wonder if I'll need to get a new computer soon......... :)

Warlock
09-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Cool.. I am assuming the PS2 and PC versions are the same since they show both boxes on the PS2 page.. Hope so b/c I'd rather get the PC version (nicer graphics with my nice Geforce 2 GTS).. based on the review it sounds like the Xbox version lacks a lot of stuff from the PS2/PC version.. hmm..

The GBA version looks pretty cool too, but I was watching some videos of it at IGN and it looks damn slow.. for example, they were fighting some spiders, and you had to wait for the character to walk up to the spider (walk, not run), hit it, and walk back. Then the spider would walk up to the character, hit him, walk back.. etc etc.. and this wouldn't be so bad except that they walk really slowly. Think of it like Diablo's walking as opposed to running.. it was like that.. but the build was still early so maybe that will be sped up.

Anyways, I dunno what to make of the review, since it seems to cover all the games in one review.. that doesn't seem to make much sense to me (as the Xbox version is obviously different - I believe it's more of a FPS - or 3rd Person Shooter at least).

matthew986
09-08-2002, 08:21 PM
I thought it was an action/adventure game. Id rather see it as a RPG though.

Warlock
09-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by matthew986
I thought it was an action/adventure game. Id rather see it as a RPG though.

The Xbox version is.. I dunno about the others.. I guess they are more RPG..

Starkist
09-08-2002, 10:06 PM
RPG is actually a stretch, as there is no experience points. But you play a role, so to me that's an RPG.

Cloral
09-09-2002, 01:28 AM
The graphics look crisp anyway...
Making it an FPS would quite literally ruin this game. It would work best as a Ocarina of Time-style 3d adventure.

Warlock
09-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Starkist
RPG is actually a stretch, as there is no experience points. But you play a role, so to me that's an RPG.

There are a few RPG titles that don't have XP out there.. If it had the same sort of fighting style (turn based for the most part), then it could be considered an RPG as well.. although I have a feeling it's more like Zelda in a way (although people do call Zelda an RPG as well for some stupid reason). I'd call it more of an "Adventure" game though (that is my genre title I use for Zelda at least.. it's not pure action, and it's not quite RPG, but it's an adventure..)