PDA

View Full Version : SMB & Zelda in Animal Crossing

Warlock
09-06-2002, 01:29 PM
From IGN's review of the game:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/370/370203p1.html

Then there are the hidden NES games. While other companies release classic compilations, Nintendo took many of its beloved classic NES games and hid them in Animal Crossing. High profile titles like Donkey Kong, Excitebike, Pinball, and Balloon Fight are all perfectly emulated and playable whenever you want once you've collected them. Even better, Animal Crossing saves your personal records in all the NES titles -- and, at the risk of sounding like a broken record -- there's still more. Japanese gamers were able to unlock blockbuster NES games like The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. through special Nintendo promotions, so chances are that they will be included in the US version as well. There is just so much in Animal Crossing, it's tough to include it all in our short little review. Nor would we want to, because playing Animal Crossing is all about discovering new things. Trust us, you'll try to play every day just to see what's going to happen next.

So yeah, I guess they are in the game ;)

AlexMax
09-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Nintendo has done it again.

Wow...

Grasshopper
09-06-2002, 02:29 PM
This isn't nessecary a good thing. What if they end up doing something like Mew and Celebi in Pokemon, and the ONLY way to get them unlocked is by them. Wouldn't that be a load. :(

Mak-X
09-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Hopefully it'll be something like if you have a Super Mario Sunshine save or Zelda save on your memory card they get unlocked, or a memory card that comes with a game. I'd hate to have to go through much trouble just to unlock SMB and Zelda.

vegeta1215
09-06-2002, 03:36 PM
Awesome. I hope they sell those as separate e-cards for the e-reader. I'd buy them. I'm not sure if I want Animal Crossings yet, there are too many other games I'd rather have.

Orion
09-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I don't think the E-cards can hold a game as large as SMB or Zelda. Anyway, I don't know about Aminal Crossing. It looks interesting... but... I just don't know. It was hard enough for me to go into a dept. store and ask for Mario, how hard is it gonna be for me to ask for the box with all the little squared-off animals on it?

Buying a game about something I should be doing already, living a life. Doesn't quite seem like the best investment of $50.

Warlock
09-06-2002, 05:22 PM
My guess is that Toys R' Us or someone will likely give out e-cards that can be scanned into the game to unlock them..

Grasshopper
09-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Orion
It was hard enough for me to go into a dept. store and ask for Mario, how hard is it gonna be for me to ask for the box with all the little squared-off animals on it?

Nobody cares. ;) What's strange is when a some mother reserves Vice City for their 6 year old son.:king:

The Silent Assassin
09-07-2002, 07:04 PM
I posted on the IP forums this would be cool, but this is IGN...and they lied about Link in Soul Calibur 2...and this is Japan only, not US.

Mak-X
09-07-2002, 08:28 PM
If Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda are in the Japanese version of Animal Forest +, then they would be in the U.S. version of Animal Crossing. Nintendo will find some way, like they did with Mew and Pokemon Red and Blue. I mean there's no reason for them to leave out these 2 classic games. If they are in the Japanese version, they'll arrive in some shape or form.

The Silent Assassin
09-07-2002, 09:27 PM
There was BS-Zelda...and it never came out here...

Warlock
09-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
I posted on the IP forums this would be cool, but this is IGN...and they lied about Link in Soul Calibur 2...and this is Japan only, not US.

Actually, they claim that they didn't:
http://cube.ign.com/mail/2002-08-30.html

Link's Soul Still Burns.
Love the site, and I've read some other stuff on the net and people are saying Namco announced that Link in SC2 was just a rumor. I just wanted to know if you guys heard this too. Not if Link will be in the game, but if Namco shot the rumors down. Thanks for your time.

Matt responds: I don't believe Namco ever commented on that news. Last I checked, it was still very much a go, by the way.

MottZilla
09-07-2002, 10:38 PM

That's because Bandai didn't have any interest in having a US market for it. Also Bandai and nintendo shared rights over it or something, so really, it's a lost game. Who has rights to it isn't clear now.

Mak-X
09-07-2002, 10:41 PM

Except in that case, BS-Zelda was a seperate game only in Japan through the service, and the option would be to release it on cartridge here.

The difference is Animal Crossing (Animal Forest +) IS coming to the U.S. and Zelda isn't a seperate game, its one of the several included NES games. Though, even if Zelda and SMB appear in Animal Forest + and not our version of Crossing, I'm very sure eventually they would be released through another game or memory cards. Then again, there's no reason to remove those games from Animal Crossing, and its not at all like BS-Zelda. I forget how Mew was distributed in Japan, but in the U.S. in every Pokemon related event, or contests, there were chances to get the rare #151 Pokemon. Though I doubt Nintendo would make it that difficult to unlock a NES game vs. 1 special Pokemon. Distributing a E-Card through Nintendo Power to unlock Zelda and SMB would make sense, or something through Nintendo Power.

Besides, Punch Out!!, representing a later generation NES game than Ice Climber and Donkey Kong, is on Animal Crossing.

Icey
09-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Ok... this is totally pissing me off. I've been posting and viewing at .net the whole time, and I posted this already. Early on, actually. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. I post it again, hopefully it will stay this time. And yes, I'm sure it was this thread, I know I posted it in the other animal crossing thread as well.

The main attraction of Animal Crossing however, is the in-game NES emulator. As items you will sometimes come across NES consoles, but these are very rare and you’ll most probably only come across them on special occasions like your birthday or New Years Eve. When found they allow you to play various NES games right from your Gamecube, including Donkey Kong, Clu Clu Land, Punch Out and many others including the games two VERY rare games Super Mario Bros. And Zelda 1

The Silent Assassin
09-08-2002, 02:04 AM
You still can't prove it Mak. This would be all over the net if Zelda was really coming to GCN via AC.

Carmine
09-09-2002, 02:41 AM
hmmm These will probably be included on the US version?

Ya know as I see It... I thought the american version of SMS was suposed to unlock a trophy In SSBM... All Im sayin is dont really count On seeing these rare games on the US version If they somehow even make it to the Japenese one!... I mean IGN's doin the report for gods sake... IGN!

Yoshiman
09-09-2002, 05:57 AM
You've got a point there.

Warlock
09-09-2002, 10:20 AM
You still can't prove it Mak. This would be all over the net if Zelda was really coming to GCN via AC.

Not really.. IGN wasn't even really sure that those games were going to be in the Japanese version (or at least they didn't mention them).. I think it is sort of a new revelation (like they recently held the little promotions to unlock them).

Anyways, I seriously doubt they would intentionally take out content from the US version of the game for no reason whatsoever (opposed to censoring, such as the trophy removals from SSBM).

And Mak-x is right, this is nothing like BS Zelda.. the fact is that had BS Zelda been a cartraige title rather than a BSX required title, it WOULD have been released here.. and it would have sold well. But the BSX was never made for America so there really wasn't any way to bring it over (save converting it to a cartraige format, which Nintendo was just too lazy to do I guess :D)