PDA

View Full Version : win2k,,, wooo...

Masamune
09-06-2002, 10:04 AM
i just reinstalled windows 2000 pro on to my comp. i must say it's a a lot more stable than 98. but now when i start up windows, i have the option of running "Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro" or "Microsoft Windows" when i go to the microsoft windows option it brings me to my crappy old version of windows 98. wtf is that still doing here? i told it to format the whole partition! so now i have win2k, mandrake linux, and win98 for some unexplained reason. :eyebrow: all on the same 18 gig hard drive. ^_^

vegeta1215
09-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Win2k blows. Honestly, it's not much more stable than 98. We put it on two of the computers at my house. One was a P3 Dell and the other was a custom built K6-2.

The Dell runs so shitty and hangs up all the time. It worked better when it had 98 on it. The custom machine however works so good, I don't understand it. It runs faster than the Dell despite it only being 200megahertz. I think it has to do with it only having 2 user accounts (admin and family account), and no peripherals in it. Whereas the Dell has a scanner, printer, and other stuff attached to it. Still, I hold to the fact the computer run better with the OS they were built to run on.

If I were to use Windows again, I'd use 98, even if for the sheer fact of gaming and because it's such a pain to set up many user accounts on 2k.

Verman
09-06-2002, 01:41 PM
What? vegeta slap yourself NOW. Win2k is much much more stable then 98. It was the useless peice of shit dell that wasnt :P

Anyhow if you want to get rid of that startup thing on your windows box try the command: fdisk /mbr

Course only use this if you want the menu GONE...otherwise figure out how to edit it hehheh :)

vegeta1215
09-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Nope, it's all crap.

My Linux box has been up for 18 days without reboot or slowdown. The only problem I had was when Alex Max's DDR mpeg crashed my X-Session, but that was no big deal since it was just X. That's stable.

Verman
09-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Um...I didnt say that Win2K was more stable then linux...I just said it was more stable then windows 98....

EDIT: Of course i have no use for linux and am more then happy with my XP right now.

obi
09-06-2002, 05:21 PM
IMO, 2K/ME all suck ;) and 98 is better as it is in my oppinion more user friendly. However, if you are willing to fork out, go for XP pro, not too much hassle, maybe a few problems to start up with but get all the new drivers, and your sorted :)

BTW, my DAD has a similar thing with XP, he has 2 choices, Windows XP, or Windows XP....

King Link
09-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Sounds great Masamune, so you're running all three? Linux, Win98 and 2K? Sounds interesting.

I'm still running Windows 98, I'm happy with that. By the way obi, what did you mean two choices Win XP AND Win XP? Did you mean another version of Windows? i.e. Win 9x.?

Drunken Tiger
09-06-2002, 07:32 PM
I prefer Win98 to Win2x... But that is because i was on Win98 for ages before i changed to XP which is pretty stable i must say!!

Masamune
09-06-2002, 07:46 PM
i have 182 megs left... -_-' time to delete win98 me says...

King Link
09-06-2002, 08:03 PM
LOL, I'd say. Seems you're running a little short on space there Masamune.

ShyGuy0824
09-06-2002, 08:18 PM
ME works fine for me, I don't know what you're talking about....

vegeta1215
09-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Verman
Um...I didnt say that Win2K was more stable then linux...I just said it was more stable then windows 98....

EDIT: Of course i have no use for linux and am more then happy with my XP right now.

Anyway you look at it, you're not really gonna get true stability with any version of Windows. It's how it's written that causes it to be crash-prone: everything is tired together so if one thing goes, the rest comes with it. The best thing you can do to make Windows a little more stable and less prone to virus attacks is to not us IE. That's where most of the problems come from. If you have a P3 or higher processor and a good amount of RAM, go get Mozilla 1.0 , it kicks ass.

Still, from my experience, Windows 98 and Windows 2k hang up about the same. I'd chose 98 over 2k cause it is pretty compatible with everything, and most all games work for it.

teddyboy420
09-07-2002, 11:58 PM
I have Win2k pro installed for 6 months now and haven't had to reboot ONCE :tongue:

And I haven't had a compatability problem either, I think 2k is the best Win build so far. And it dosen't try to spy on you either. vegeta's right about IE though, that's where a lot of the security issues come from. But that can be fixed with an update.

vegeta1215
09-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by teddyboy420
vegeta's right about IE though, that's where a lot of the security issues come from. But that can be fixed with an update.

But why download updates all the time when you can just use something else and not have to worry? I'm tellin ya, give Mozilla 1.0 a try, it's worth it. The rendering engine alone is pretty damn sweet. ;)

King Link
09-08-2002, 04:46 PM
I used to have Mozilla, not anymore, but I think I'm gonna download it again. vegeta1215 is right, Mozilla is a really great browser, and it's extra stylish, skins and all.;)