PDA

View Full Version : Continuing error

Teilyr
09-03-2002, 02:14 PM
My dungeon spans 4 dmaps with the 3 music changes within it. The problem I'm having is that if the player dies on another dmap besides the main one, they continue on screen 00 of whatever dmap they're on at the time.

Right now, I have a simple string that says there's been an error, and tells the player to quit, save, then continue. However, I'd really like to fix this so I can eliminate that screen.

I'm quite sure I set something up incorectly in my dmaps... If someone could refresh my memory in multiple dmap continuing, I'd be quite grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Cloral
09-03-2002, 03:52 PM
In order for it to work properly, you have to use entrance/exit warps to move between dmaps.
This really is a bug that's been needing to be fixed for quite a while...

Teilyr
09-03-2002, 04:05 PM
So the player will have that stair sound when switching dmaps? Shucks.. Guess I'll keep my error screen active until the next public beta.

Thanks for the info, Cloral. :)

PalaDemon
09-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Teilyr, I'm having the same problem with my DMaps, but I figured out how to use room 00 to your advantage.

Make a note that I use special weapon combos to make this work (as well as a lot of extra maps), so you may or may not want to do this:

For any DMap that gives you the 00 screen bug, you can set up a makeshift room with a tile warp to get back to the entrance. If you have more than one DMap, you can use special weapons to limit where the player warps to. Set up one room with a tile warp and (x) number of doors for other landmark locations. (A good example is if you leave an arrow at the end of a first floor and the beginning of the second floor.) What you want to do is that you CAN set up a special arrow combo blocking access to a second tile warp in another adjoining room. No arrow, no free trip to the second floor. However, at least one warp will be available (if you want it to) so that the player isn't totally stuck.

Also, this error can happen when you are taken by WallMasters. It's STRANGE:eek:, but it happens.

I know that this topic is kinda old; I'm only bringing it up because it's happening to me too. If someone else has thought this up before I did, I apologize and ask that the mods delete this post. I don't want to plagarize an idea that I didn't see.

Verbatim
09-27-2002, 01:06 AM
Well...I just finished answering this question at AZC...guess I'll put a copy of my post over here for those who wouldn't otherwise see it.

I'd like to thank C-Dawg for figuring out how the bug works...he's explained it several times over here...I don't get why the answer's not more generally known.

Before we get started, remember this "problem", which actually gives the quest designer more flexibility if you understand it fully, only occurs on dungeon Dmaps. Cave and overworld Dmaps use the screen you specify as the continue point.

The reason for the problem is that ZC allows you to have multiple entry points for a dungeon...and you'll always continue wherever you entered the dungeon...so long as you used an entrance/exit warp to get in, and the dungeon only has one Dmap. It was an extra feature, which only started causing problems when multi-floor and extra-large, multi-Dmap dungeons started appearing.

First post:

As far as continue problems go, all you have to do is remember that ZC puts the absolute (not Dmap relative) screen location in a box when you use an entrance/exit warp. Then, if you die on a dungeon Dmap, it takes you to that location on whatever map you died on, reguardless of what map the level starts on, but it still thinks you're on the Dmap that you died on.

So, if you die on a Dmap other than the one on which you entered a level, ZC gets confused. The solution is to:

1) Always put a stripe of pitwarps (which look like floor tiles) across your entrance rooms, so that Link has to cross it to enter the level. Set the tilewarp to send you to that same screen, on the appropriate Dmap. That will get you back on the right Dmap, in the right room, if you die on a different Dmap, but on the same map.

2) If your level spans more than one map, note the absloute location of all the entrances, and copy those rooms to the other maps you use. Make sure the tile-warp is likewise set up to take you to the original version of that room (as long as the tilewarp copies together with the room, you should be fine, so just make sure to use paste all).

Second post:

If you're getting the 0,0 problem, it's because you aren't using an "entrance/exit" warp to enter the level. Only "entrance/exit" warps put the map location in a lockbox...so if you don't use any, 0,0 is what's in that lock-box by default. Whenever you send Link into a dungeon Dmap, you should use an entrance/exit warp.

Advanced:

On the other hand, you could never use an entrance/exit warp...which would mean Link would always start out at 0,0 after he died on a dungeon Dmap. It could serve several purposes...first of all, you could easily make sure you have all the extra "entrance" rooms that you need...since every dungeon map would have a fake entrance at 0,0. You could also use it for special effects...for example, you could set up room 0,0 to have Death say to Link, "I'll let you off this time...but don't try my patience." and then warp Link back to whereever you want him to continue from.

One word of warning though: if you decide to use the 0,0 trick, you can't use any entrance/exit warps. If you use even one, it will put the location of that warp into the entrance/exit lockbox, and all of your levels will have continue problems after Link goes throught it. (Unless, of course, the entrance/exit warp takes you to the absolute map screen 0,0...in which case it wouldn't change the contents of the lock-box, since it's already set to 0,0.)

You'll also limit yourself to having only one entrance to each dungeon by doing that, since Link will always continue in the same place, not always where he entered. But then again, most people limit their quest that way anyways.

Teilyr
09-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Ahem.. Yeah.. Well, the pit warp thing was so obvious, I figured it out on my own.

As for my problem, it had to do with the fact that I do my dungeons in TCoL in a seperate quest file, since it's more or less a GQ. So, if I start on the first screen of level 1, then the e/e warp isn't triggered.

But I did use that pit warp to fix the boss music. This way, if you die during the boss, you don't continue with boss music. Easy, but effective. :)

ShadowTiger
09-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Blah. When that happens to me, I just make it a convenient little healing room. (Here. Buy some supplies for future trips.) I'm a little too soft in my quests. But hey! The testers love it! :D

Verbatim
09-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear you've got it working, Teilyr. I knew you probably wouldn't need all that info, but, hey, not everybody's as ZQ-savvy as you are, hopefully somebody who needed it saw it.

Britannianhero--don't shrug off this "bug"...if you just think of it as the 0,0 bug, it can still get you--if you ever use an entrance/exit warp, you'll get sent other places than 0,0.

I suppose the easiest way to quash the bug is to avoid entrance/exit warps, and use the 0,0 trick...but if you accidentally use even one e/e, you'll get bugs that you have a very hard time tracking down, since there won't be a bug where you used the entrance/exit warp...but it will cause continue bugs frequently after that. And when you realize what's going on, it will take you a while to track down just which warp(s) is(/are) causing the problem.